3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

E-FAN Taurus Fan and other 2 speed fan setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 04:03 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FrenicX
So I have been looking for the part that would make things easiest for threading the 3/8npt to m14 adaptor. The bushing idea turned out not to work so well, as the vise ends up squishing it because it gets so thin, and its brass. Then it binds on the drill bit.

So I found a 1.5 inch fitting that was 3/8npt on both sides, I threaded it into a ballvalve and vised that instead so the fitting didn't squish. The ID of this fitting was already 1/2 inch, which is the right size for a m14x1.5 tap. Then I cut it in half and had two usable ones, but damaged one while removing it from the ball valve. Worked very well.

I don't need the test piece since I don't have a spare npt plug in my timing cover, so its up for grabs.
FrenicX, npt to M adapters are made but it does take some serious searching to find local outlets for these fitting types. I needed various fluid adapters when I was customizing my jeep and found a local hydraulic fitting outlet that either had what I needed in stock or was able to order them with only a day or two wait. With some finger-tip excercise (after the fact) I was able to find on-line suppliers where I could have ordered everything for a cheaper price - I'll see if I can find some of those suppliers & will post them here if I do.

Old 09-08-2013, 03:15 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've found a place that makes the particular one I made, but it's $22. It should be in a link in one of my first posts on this thread. After a very long while searching for this across the internet, that was the only one I found and it's custom made by an engine swap enthusiast group. So I wonder if retail versions even exist in the m14x1.5 to 3/8npt.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:08 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by FrenicX
I've found a place that makes the particular one I made, but it's $22. It should be in a link in one of my first posts on this thread. After a very long while searching for this across the internet, that was the only one I found and it's custom made by an engine swap enthusiast group. So I wonder if retail versions even exist in the m14x1.5 to 3/8npt.
As a single unit, that combination is hard to find, but there are lots of m14.5 to 1/8 npt and adding a 1/8 pipe nipple & a 1/8 to 3/8 reducer, you have it made. There are also a number of 3/8 npt to some metric (I saw some for m16 or 18), then you can add the appropriate reducer to bring it to the 14.5. Some of these combinations may not be good for fluid flow & as such you may not get adequate flow to give you the real block fluid temp - with a constricted access to the thermal switch you'd usually have a temperature sensing lag. Ideally, you need to have the switch end in the flowing fluid.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:24 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with the last statement, already with mine, it takes a bit longer for the fluid to change the temp of the switch. It can peak to almost half on the needle then the fan kicks on with a fury and drops the temp nearly a 1/4 before leveling off and staying there for the whole trip, unless I'm flooring it up mountain passes, then it tends to climb higher.

It won't be as bad with a 4.7 though, with that spare 3/8 npt plug that it has. I'm still baffled as to why they didn't have a spare test spot on the hemi when they had one of the 4.7

Old 09-09-2013, 08:37 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker

To overcome the lag, I've found that the easiest approach is to make a small manifold of some type that will allow the switch end to be in, or very close to the fluid flow. For this purpose, here are some ideas (some of which I've used):
  • You could take the design shown in a link I posted earlier (showing a T and 2 barbed-to-NPT ends) as a baseline and add a larger T to give more exposure for the switch end and more cavity for the flowing fluid. This design can be expanded for an additional T if you needed to use 2 single switch units.
  • You can make a manifold out of a piece of brass pipe (I used 1" pipe), drill 1 or more holes for "weld-in-bungs" or brass couplings. Adding the weld-in-bungs is self explanatory, but you may need steel pipe to match the metal composition of the bung. I used a 3/8 NPT brass coupling that I cut in half to make 2 "bungs". I put these into the holes in the brass pipe and brazed them into place making myself a 1" manifold with two 3/8 openings. Since there's little pressure to worry about, you could even solder those connector pieces or even the bungs to the pipe. I brazed mine to give some added strength. To each end of this manifold, you can add a reducer to take it from the 1" size to whatever size barbed end you want to add. If you use a brass pipe of a large enough diameter, you can make this to splice into a radiator hose.
  • You can buy manufactured cast "splice in" pieces that have a boss in the center with a tapped hole for the sensor/switch to fit - there's a link to these somewhere in this thread - they get spliced into the radiator hose. I've used these, they can save a lot of fab time.

Quick Reply: E-FAN Taurus Fan and other 2 speed fan setup