3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Programming Only Remote Fob (no sentry)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 11:32 AM
novaDAK768
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programming Only Remote Fob (no sentry)

I'm the proud owner of an 05 SLT QC, and I'm having remote fob issues...here are the facts that got me to where I am.

1. When purchased, the truck came with one black fob. I am positive that there is no sentry system since I've been able to use regular metal spare keys for quite some time.

2. Way back, I noticed the remote being spotty at best and then it died. So I changed the battery but that didn't seem to work...but I did no re-programming because I didn't know anything about it.

3. Someone tried to steal my truck, messed up the steering column and cylinder lock. I replaced the steering column with one from an '06 Raider and the new ignition system also has not sentry system.

4. For a while, I was rolling on 2 keys, one for the door (since remote doesn't work), and one for ignition. I just recently had the ignition cylinder lock re-keyed back to the original key.

5. How do I program the one and only original remote to my new set-up. How can I tell if the remote itself is bad since I was having issues long before the steering column replacement.

I'm in the process of prepping this truck for sale so I'd like to figure this out.

Thanks!

Old 08-26-2013, 04:50 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To program a remote, You require 2 OEM Factory (I think, or just 2 Working FOBS alreayd programed) to the truck. If you only have one, Dealer has to program it/others.

I dont have the FOB's I just have a Sentry System (Chipped Keys) the steps are different between them for programing I think.
Do a Search I think the steps for Both ways are on here. Somewhere.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:53 PM
novaDAK768

So then what I'm reading, with just one Fob, my only option is for the dealer to program? Could they do this with one, or would I first need to purchase a second.

Now for some opinions...it it worth me spending money on this (of course depending on how much), or just sell as is where a key would be required for entry.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:27 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Some locksmiths can program new fobs for vehicles with one working fob. Its cheaper than a dealer, if you can find one able to do it.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:56 PM
novaDAK768

But again my issue as that I don't any working fobs.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:29 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

You'll have to ask a locksmith, or a dealer is the only other option.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:18 PM
djibara
Professional
Default Key fob

My 05 Quad cab came with only one fob that was messed up worked some of the times took it apart and found the metal battery clamp had broken off . After messing with it first with superglue Worked for awhile then stopped working.Then broke out the fine tip soldering iron and reattached it now works fine . ordered new one from local locksmith had them program it also cost was $190.00 programed and this was a original Dodge key not aftermarket. So find a good locksmith and they can for sure take care of programing new key fob. Sorry about long reply and good luck

Old 08-27-2013, 04:30 PM
novaDAK768

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

My biggest issue (and I admit I don't know much about this subject) is that I now have the original fob, but a steering column from a Raider which presumably has a different "code" than what was original the the Dakota.

Without knowing the VIN of the Raider, could fobs be programmed because I wouldn't be able to order one specific to that receiver.

Make sense?

Quick Reply: Programming Only Remote Fob (no sentry)