3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

curb weight for coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 02:59 PM
rookie
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default curb weight for coilovers

had this in my other thread; reposting:

so I am figuring my curb weight at the front corners for when it comes time to plug in the #s on the spring rate calculator. my truck is pretty base (st) except for the 4.7 and 4x4. the mopar specs I have seen say 1926 for the front end so / by 2 and subtract unsprung for each corner. anyone wanna guess the weight of the factory spec steel wheel, 245 tire, control arms, hub, knuckle, rotor, brake, misc and half of the shock, tie rod assembly, and cv? 150lbs? am I missing anything?

Old 03-26-2014, 03:43 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

That's about how you do it if you dont have access to corner scales. I can weigh the spindle and hub when I get home. Going to have to estimate on tire and rim weight. Remember its just a street prerunner not a full race truck so plus or minus 50 lbs wont have an affect.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:43 PM
rookie
Captain

Originally Posted by projektdirtfab
That's about how you do it if you dont have access to corner scales. I can weigh the spindle and hub when I get home. Going to have to estimate on tire and rim weight. Remember its just a street prerunner not a full race truck so plus or minus 50 lbs wont have an affect.
Yeah, I'll be like: "kids, take the bus, your effin up my pre-load!"

Pre-runner sounds so 2wd. I'll have to put the stupid 4x4 sticker back on. (no offense to anyone that has them; I de-badged the whole thing.)

Old 03-26-2014, 10:57 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

Bros call anything a prerunner lol. A "prerunner" is anything used to "pre-run" a course. A quad could technically be a prerunner.

Last edited by projektdirtfab; 03-27-2014 at 12:08 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:01 AM
rookie
Captain

that was my assumption, because of the terminology.

Most applications similar to mine are going with 8" COs, albeit 2.5" (see the caddy II total chaos kit). I am thinking that I will go with 10" 2.0s cause I would rather have the xtra just in case. Is this faulty logic? I think 2.0s seem adequate, and everything indicates that I will have room for 10"ers. And for a few bucks more why not? I am more worried about the diameter as far as fitting them goes.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:04 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

Yea its good to have a little extra. Just as long as your bumped and strapped. Thats one obstical I haven't figured out is fitting 2.5s

2.0s are plenty for daily driving weekend smashing but it's always good to have 2.5s if they fit. That way they don't work as hard.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:08 PM
rookie
Captain

My cvs are keeping me from doing it. 2.0s will be easier to work with up top too if I incorporate the original spring bucket in my upper CO mount (might just let the COs go through the top). Cant see what would get in the way of 2.5s if your 2wd. Strap is no prob; where's your bump gonna b?

Old 03-27-2014, 03:53 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

There's going to be a bump can welded to the frame and it will bump on the lower CA. given my tires clear at full lock.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:18 PM
rookie
Captain

Clear the fenders? I will be needing those at some point, but I may just alter the stockers if yours don't clear.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:10 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

No if the tires clear a bump can welded to the frame. Probably where the sway bar used to be so it should clear....

Quick Reply: curb weight for coilovers