3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Front end parts worn after 50,000 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 03:57 PM
skid2964
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front end parts worn after 50,000 miles?

My son has a 2010 Dodge Dakota Ext. Cab 2WD (Long Horn) with 51,000 miles.
Sent him to get tires and maybe a front end alignment if they say it needs it. Well, they said it needed several parts up front, ball joints, etc. I told them no over the phone and I will check the front end when he gets home.

They probably just tried to stick it to him since he was a young kid.

But I wanted to ask here before I assumed the worst about this shop... is this a problem with these trucks? Is it possible I have worn parts this early with such low mileage?

Old 05-28-2014, 04:09 PM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It's a common thing with our trucks, they have weak front end parts. I've had to do a few balljoints, tie rod ends and one of my sway bar end links on my 2011 with 43000 KM which is about half of your son's truck. I recommend replacing with some higher quality parts like the greasable moog parts. They will also last way longer.

And, unlike the stealership who did mine under warranty, do both sides if you replace one. the other may not be far behind depending on his driving style and road conditions. i'm lucky so far and the ones that were not replaced by the dealership have stayed strong and i havn't had to replace any other parts yet. I'm planning on replacing the upper and lower control arms, ball joints, tie rod ends and sway bar end links with moog parts at the same time as i do my struts hopefully sometime this summer.

Last edited by pierrejoly; 05-28-2014 at 04:13 PM. Reason: adding more info
Old 05-28-2014, 05:38 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

If your at all mechanically inclined, you can replace the things yourself. It's just removing parts and re-installing. As mentioned, get some good quality aftermarket parts (Moog). Rock Auto sells everything you need. If you have a dealer replace everything with OEM parts, be prepared to replace them again. Tie rod ends, sway bar links, ball joints and struts are weak (same parts as found on the Caravan).

Old 05-29-2014, 11:51 AM
sdsdsd
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to Dodge junk.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:43 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Some guys have had issues, some have not. I kind of doubt some of what that shop is claiming as worn already despite the fronts being the weakest link of these beasts, unless your roads are complete crap. I had both tie rods go out at 51k, but I fault the constant beatings they took from all the water pipeline rehab that was done in my area that made the roads rougher than some of the no winter maintenance roads I have been on.

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Tie rod ends, sway bar links, ball joints and struts are weak (same parts as found on the Caravan).
You are off your meds again... lol Caravan parts, really man?

Originally Posted by sdsdsd
Welcome to Dodge junk.
No different then Chevy, Ford, Nissan or Toyota. More like welcome to the joys of owning a vehicle/truck.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:57 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congratulations! You are now in the club of front end f*ckery. Moog parts are your friend. If you are not mechanically inclined in the steering and suspension department, become it....immediate. May the Force be with you...

Old 05-30-2014, 08:11 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by lghtngblt02
You are off your meds again... lol Caravan parts, really man? .
OK, ok....."similar" to a Caravan....in that they are too weak for a truck this size. Better suited for a Caravan..... : p

Old 05-30-2014, 05:09 PM
Dragon05
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 05 made it to almost 100k before I had to replace them which is surprising with how much I have lowered it. like they said, go with RockAuto for the Moog parts.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:17 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you may also wanna set about 600.00 aside for wheel bearings too, they wont last much longer, my 2005 has had a complete frt end makeover and currently pushing 156000 miles, rear bed has so much cancer too

Quick Reply: Front end parts worn after 50,000 miles?