3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Brake issues 2005

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 07:36 PM
glider2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake issues 2005

I just had a brake job done at a local dealer, but the brake pedal now has more play than it did before, I complained and they really tried to fix it, I got new slaves and calipers for free, they covered my loaner, all the labor, they ether replaced or at a minimum checked the master, tried rebleeding both power and gravity bled, the brakes multiple times and I believe even bench bleed the master yet the pedal has more travel than it did, They called Dodge Tech and they said its probably the anti lock brake module under the battery tray, the problem being Dodge nolonger makes or supplies a replacement, a dealer search came up empty.

Before the pedal had about 2.5 to 3" play, now its about 5-6", the brakes work, I don't have to pump them up so I don't think its a leak. I can press hard on them and the truck will stop quickly but to me it nolonder feels like a power brake system, kinda like driving a 50's pickup.

Can anybody verify the amount of pedal travel you have with your 2005 for me? Has anybody run into this and found a fix?

I called Dodge corporate and filed a complaint, they suggested I call a couple places to try and find the part, both were a strike out.

Old 12-01-2017, 08:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Drum rear brakes? Are they adjusted properly? (I would think the dealer wouldn't miss something that easy, but, hey, ya never know.)

Old 12-01-2017, 08:38 PM
WvChamp
Rookie

I'm in the same thinking boat as HeyYou.....Traveling down the road....If you pump the pedal say 3 times....does the pedal have less travel ?
If so...then the rear drum brake shoes aren't adjusted properly.

Old 12-01-2017, 08:59 PM
glider2

Originally Posted by WvChamp
I'm in the same thinking boat as HeyYou.....Traveling down the road....If you pump the pedal say 3 times....does the pedal have less travel ?
If so...then the rear drum brake shoes aren't adjusted properly.
No it does not pump up, same travel all the time.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:45 PM
glider2

Can anybody verify the amount of pedal travel you have with your 2005 for me? Has anybody run into this and found a fix?

Old 12-01-2017, 11:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

If it's lower than what you are used to, then something is awry.

I think I would check the rear brake adjustment, just for giggles. (not that I expect it to be that easy, but hey, if you don't look, ya won't know. )

Old 12-10-2017, 12:26 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

first thing I would do is check the fluid, sounds like the system wasn't bled properly.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:26 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Anti lock brake module. Maybe they're right. Might be a Junkyard item.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:51 PM
DOINGITLARGE
Amateur

I noticed something similar, although it seemed to happen gradually so I didn’t realize until I had a neighbour drive the truck. He felt only the front brakes really working, so I investigated. Removed rear drum to discover one of the nails that sit roughly in the center of the brake shoe had snapped and the top of the shoe pushed off the cylinder pin, towards the drum. I would take a quick look behind the drum to verify everything looks right before investigating a fluid or abs issue (although those sound more likely). GL!