3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2011 Citadel AWD - Loud Noise in Back Over Bumps?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 02:03 PM
LeeHP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bumpervetteman
I have had car for about 5 days and put 200 miles on it so far and the only noise that I hear now is the spare tire rattling between the mufflers inside of its housing. I took ot and they adjusted tire but it is still there. I can actaully shake tire when laying underneath and watch it hit the mufflers and wife can sit inside and hear the eaxct same noise as If we were driving. I can live with this but hopefully they will be a fix soon.
I picked up my 2011 Charcoal Grey Citadel 4 weeks ago and get zero noise from the rear. At about 1100 miles everything is tight, so why would I have no noise from the spare and you do? Obviously something is missing or your tire just isn't getting locked down. The roads up in Mass aren't smooth as silk so it's not like I'm not bumpin' down the backroads. I would have it checked out again - you shouldn't have to live with that.

Last edited by LeeHP; 10-06-2011 at 04:09 PM. Reason: date change.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:39 PM
kingofwylietx
Professional

Originally Posted by Bumpervetteman
the only noise that I hear now is the spare tire rattling between the mufflers inside of its housing. I took ot and they adjusted tire but it is still there. I can actaully shake tire when laying underneath and watch it hit the mufflers and wife can sit inside and hear the eaxct same noise as If we were driving.
Thinking about this.....our wheels have backspacing. Would it eliminate the noise if you pulled your spare down, flipped it over, then cranked it back up? This may take up the slack....worth a quick try.

Good luck, let us know if it works.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:58 PM
Bumpervetteman
Amateur

Funny I amk replying again to my own thread dated 9/24/ 2011 but the noise in my headliner is back again at 900 miles, delivered to me at 300 miles. This time it is near the DVD area Rt sidepassenger seat once again,sound slike spare change rattling around. ALL SEAT BELTS are connected with exception of front seat passeneger, sevice tech was able to read ride with me and isolate down to the almost directly od Rt Side DVD Console.I explained to Serv MGR that this would be third time for headliner 2 be removed and that i wanted complete replacement. He said he would need to confur with regional rep to get approval before replacing. Vehicle has been at dealer since 30 Oct and was brought home 3 nov with no current resolution.

Secondary noise from rear tire area when hitting any kind of bumps has been isolated down to rear shocks bottoming out per Serv Tech. I find this hard believe because he induced it by going over speed bumps at faster than normal speed with my truck and one from showroom. the spare has been removed numerous times along with jack and accessories in rear area and clunking noise is still there. If the shocks are suspect then why has a TSB not been issued.Most people that drive 45k auto's do not drive them like a rental. I drove the truck with Tech on Weds around 945am and parked it myself, when I went to ck on it @ noon today it was in same place I left it yesterday. I parked t near wall so it would cumbersome to get in and out of, that was my way of knowing.

So all in all I should be getting a new headliner (hopefully) and then somebody on here will read about noise in back and say shocks are not the problem like I say.

Mechanical Engineers are very savy and mechs of these days should take our advice and listen how people describe noises. Yes WARRANTY WORK sucks but that is the business at hand. If the Mech WAS DRIVING A 45K VEHICLE AND MAKIN PAYMENTS I am sure he would be complaining about the quality also.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:34 PM
Bumpervetteman
Amateur
Default Clunking Noise from Rear Area

Well after many trips to the dealer they have finally resolved the Clunking Noise that was emitting at Low Speed from the Rear End area. Both load leveling shocks were completely removed and disassembled. The problem was when the shocks were assembled the Internal Dampener was not correctly sealed into place so everytime a Bump was hit it would cause a hard ride condition.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:15 PM
prowaker

Hello,

I am new here and do not know how to create a new thread.

So I purchased an 03 dakota with only 143k on it. i have been driving it for 2 weeks now. yesterday i went over one of those big speed bumps going a good speed seen as i did not see it until the last second. i did not bottom out or anything, how ever after that happened i notice a clunking noise. seems like its coming from the front end. i shook the truck today to see if there was anything visibly loose. i noticed the spare tire is. thats one thing. i then went to every corner of the truck and shook each one. the noise didnt happen until i did it to the front passenger side. i am no mechanic and no very little about cars or trucks. the truck turns smoothly no clunking while turning its only when i go over bumps. when i was pushing down the front passenger side after a few pushes i heard the noise, thats why im assuming its that corner of the truck. shocks arent blown, one of my friends said it could be the struts? also checked the exhaust to see if it was loose and everything seems pretty solid. not sure what to do and i dont want to bring it into the mechanics yet lol. also would like to fix it for cheap.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:30 PM
switchblade906
Record Breaker

Well 1st you need to go to the dakota section of the forum, you in the durango section.

Then at the very top of the section it will say New Thread, click that and type what you please and hit post.

I don't know anything about the Dakota trucks, sorry

Old 01-01-2012, 06:03 PM
Singh81
Amateur
Default Same problem

First post here.

I have a 2011 white citadel awd and have the same problem. I took it to a dealer and they said the back speaker was missing a screw and they put one in. It didn't sound right to me that all that noise was coming from a single screw missing. On the drive home, it still had the same noise. I just gave up in frustration and decided to drive it as is. After reading this thread, and realizing I'm not the only one, I will take it back to the dealer to have it fixed. I only had one car at that time so it was harder to be without a car, but now the wife and I have a second car that we can use until this is sorted.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:03 PM
JCO1981

I feel like my headliner has 10 different rattles. It is so annoying pisses me off when i am driving. I took to dealer at first they told me they couldn't duplicate the rattle then they heard the rattle on a drive with service manager. He told me he didnt want to take down headliner as it wouldnt go back in correct whch i agreed with. I need these rattles gone they drive me nuts is there a tsb or does dodge still not care about there customers.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:07 AM
JRRF
Captain

Originally Posted by JCO1981
I feel like my headliner has 10 different rattles. It is so annoying pisses me off when i am driving. I took to dealer at first they told me they couldn't duplicate the rattle then they heard the rattle on a drive with service manager. He told me he didnt want to take down headliner as it wouldnt go back in correct whch i agreed with. I need these rattles gone they drive me nuts is there a tsb or does dodge still not care about there customers.
If his shop knows what they are doing they can take the headliner down, put it back up, and have it look factory new. He doesn't want to take your headliner down because it's a lot of work, and if they don't find anything then it may not even be billable at the already low warranty labor rate. Find another dealer who's interested in customer service.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:26 AM
Bumpervetteman
Amateur

JRRF,

The headliner in my 2011 Citadel has been in and out approximatekly 3 times and it is only getting worse. Now I have a GAP in the RT Rear Corner of the DVD player and it is something the dealer knows about. They said it was probably a loose clip but to repair the Headliner will need to be removed again. I know thatonce you start removing items of this nature that FIT and FINISH are never the same. Since I am on this tangent now, my headliner is actaully seperating near the Left Rear Clothes Hanger and the dealer is also aware of this but does not want to act because of the PRICE of a headliner. I am very limited on DODGE dealers in my area and do not want to drive back and forth to HELL's half acre just for another dealer to feed me a line of crap and explain to me that it is normal. Normal my A--. OBTW the rear shock noise is better, but now I have a NOISE from the driver seat belt retract area that they have not been able to find. My dealer has almost a FULL TANK of gas trying to isolate all my noises. The bad part of this whole ordeal is that I throughly impressed with performance and 110% impressed with look of my Durango. I should not have all these noises with only 2k on the vehicle.

Quick Reply: 2011 Citadel AWD - Loud Noise in Back Over Bumps?