3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2011 Citadel AWD - Loud Noise in Back Over Bumps?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 08:25 PM
Elconquistador
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our D had a leak in the sunroof. Had the seal replaced twice...but after that had a bad rattle. You could hear it in the headliner. Dealership claimed it was coming from the spare tire. Said something was missing. They replaced it. Rattle continued. Finally dealership took headliner down again and found several clips broken or undone. Problem fixed. Just had to fight the stealership over the course of several visits.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:27 PM
switchblade906
Record Breaker

**Excuse my language moderators**

Those Fu*ker's never want to do anything for you after you buy something.....

Old 01-05-2012, 08:30 PM
Elconquistador
Amateur

So True!

Old 01-06-2012, 09:29 AM
JRRF
Captain

Originally Posted by Bumpervetteman
JRRF,

The headliner in my 2011 Citadel has been in and out approximatekly 3 times and it is only getting worse. Now I have a GAP in the RT Rear Corner of the DVD player and it is something the dealer knows about. They said it was probably a loose clip but to repair the Headliner will need to be removed again. I know thatonce you start removing items of this nature that FIT and FINISH are never the same. Since I am on this tangent now, my headliner is actaully seperating near the Left Rear Clothes Hanger and the dealer is also aware of this but does not want to act because of the PRICE of a headliner. I am very limited on DODGE dealers in my area and do not want to drive back and forth to HELL's half acre just for another dealer to feed me a line of crap and explain to me that it is normal. Normal my A--. OBTW the rear shock noise is better, but now I have a NOISE from the driver seat belt retract area that they have not been able to find. My dealer has almost a FULL TANK of gas trying to isolate all my noises. The bad part of this whole ordeal is that I throughly impressed with performance and 110% impressed with look of my Durango. I should not have all these noises with only 2k on the vehicle.
It's too bad you are having all these problems, and I agree that most dealers are not anxious to do warranty work because the reimbursment rate from the factory is at a much lower rate than they normally charge.

As for your headliner, regretably again, this is not an easy thing to work with, and your average high school drop out that works at the dealer is not going to be able to do it right (even with the manual right in front of him). But let me suggest to you that it can be done right (and I've had it done before). The right shop, with a skilled craftsman can replace that headliner and make it like new. In the "old days", yes, it could never be made right again. But the way cars are manufactured today, it can, and you should settle for no less. You have a hard road to ahead with this dealer, but you should continue to be firm. Not fixing it right is not an acceptable option. Ask them to call in the regional rep, and get someone who can do the job right, even if they have to farm it out.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:32 AM
JRRF
Captain

Originally Posted by Elconquistador
Our D had a leak in the sunroof. Had the seal replaced twice....
Frequently a leaky sunroof is not the seal, but rather a cloged drain. A long time ago they finally realized they can't keep a sunroof from leaking, so they redesigned it to simply channel the water that does get in down a weep hole. When that hole/drain gets clogged, the water backs up and eventually makes its way over the seal and into the car.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:20 PM
11durango

i have had the same issue with the rear end noise, being a mechanic i did my own diagnosing being the dealer would have it for days since they are backed up, and found that it is most likely a inner bushing issue with the lower link, you can hear the noise while cycling the suspension with a jack and the car on jacks. nothing major but does get annoying on rougher roads i just turn the stereo up and will have it fixed later. havent had a issue with the head liner and I'm going on 11k miles or any other issue.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:21 AM
LeeHP

The gasket around the sunroof of my Citadel was raised above the roofline on the front right corner so I brought my 2011 in (bought in Sept) to have it looked at. They ordered a new gasket and installed it, it looks perfect and the headliner is back tight, like new. I also had them replace the trim at the base of the windshield where it meets the hood on the left side. There was a 1/2" gap between the hood and that trim where rain/snow could poor in. They gave me no hassle ordering the parts, which came in 3 days later, or doing the work.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:45 PM
Singh81
Amateur

Update

I dropped an email to the Dealer through their internet website this morning and I was promptly contacted regarding the problems with my vehicle. I provided them a direct link to this thread so they know that other owners are experiencing similar problems. I left the car with them after work. I hope they are not too inebriated after the BCS game tonight as they will be working on my vehicle tomorrow.

I have to say that I am very pleased with the service from this dealership so far. I should have more information once they do the diagnostics. The service manager mentioned that he forwarded this thread to Chrysler Corporate so they become aware of the issue as well.

I will keep you all posted ...

Old 03-19-2012, 07:52 PM
buddafafa

Originally Posted by Murfdog
Got the Durango back today. What a difference! The headliner is fixed and the shocks were the problem. The dealer told me that one of the shocks fell apart when they removed it. I'm just glad that it's taken care of.
Originally Posted by Bumpervetteman
Well after many trips to the dealer they have finally resolved the Clunking Noise that was emitting at Low Speed from the Rear End area. Both load leveling shocks were completely removed and disassembled. The problem was when the shocks were assembled the Internal Dampener was not correctly sealed into place so everytime a Bump was hit it would cause a hard ride condition.
Murf, did your problem come from the load leveling shocks as well? I'm 90% sure i have this same problem. Mine's been to my local dealer twice now and they come back with "No problems found." I've mentioned only "suspension noises" and yet all they've looked at has been my driveshaft and axle. I've even told them of the two problems above and how they were fixed, and yet they still wont look at my shocks. Is there anything i can do to force them to take apart my shocks and look at them? i mean my noise/cause is IDENTICAL to Murf's.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:01 AM
happyfirst
Professional

We just had our rear shocks replaced too. We had a noise back there too on certain bumps, like something was loose or hollow. It wasn't bothering us enough to take it in initially but then when I read about the TSB, figured why not. My wife just told the dealership about a rear noise on bumps and mentioned she knew there was a TSB and they took care of the rest. I think at first they tried to fix it, but ultimately they ordered new shocks. The noise is "mostly" gone now.

Quick Reply: 2011 Citadel AWD - Loud Noise in Back Over Bumps?