3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Poor Sound from Alpine Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 09:52 AM
Total Loss
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrSnowflake
This is an old post I realize but I just read it last night and tested the theory this morning on the way to work. Super-duper WOW! What a difference dropping the mid frequencies on the equalizer made to the overall sound quality. I would imagine this stems from the fact that there are no passive/active crossovers processing more acute freq. ranges to the speakers. Either way, who cares...this made a huge difference. This doesn't negate my desire to upgrade in the future, but it did create the ability to wait a bit longer for other mods to be completed first.

Thanks for the tip...THIS WORKS EVERYONE!!! (at least in my 2012 R/T it did..with the MC730N)
I finally got around to giving this a shot and guess what - IT WORKS! Amazingly enough, taking the midrange level all the way down gave the sound a whole new definition. I believe that the audio engineers need to take a good look at what they did with the crossover points on the door speakers because they obviously can't handle any midrange. To my ears, adding any midrange via the head-unit's controls just muddies-up the sound. At this point, I think they'd be better off just giving the end-user an option for treble and bass and leave out the midrange, altogether. This, or design a proper system that can handle the whole audible frequency gamut.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:53 AM
taken
Amateur

After swapping the sub to the stealthbox, I found that the audio system can absolutely handle the midrange, it's the stock sub that gets beat up by it. When I went to the stealth, it sounded awful until I brought the mid back up. Now, with the mid right below center, it is perfect low to mid. The highs are still nonexistent though....

Old 07-04-2012, 10:40 AM
josm100
Default New speakers

the sound is definitely pretty awful. The more I listen to it the less and less I like it. I've ordered speaker replacements from crutchfield and others for the stock speakers. I'll be replacing the 6*9s and 6.5"s in the front and rear doors with Jbl and Polk full range 4 ohm speakers. The center and woofer will be infinity 3.5" and 8" 4 ohm speakers. The higher ohms will lower the volume a little and allow the tweeters to shine a little more resolving the lack of highs. Although the speakers are super efficient at 91-94 dbs per 2.88 volts so there may not be a noticeable drop in volume. I'll let you know the difference it makes in a few weeks.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:59 PM
12hemiawdcitidale
Professional

Are the replacement a direct plug and play, nothing else to get? Do you mind taking pictures on the swap for those of us that never did this before.

I was looking at the SRT8 and notice they have a Harmon Kardon option that probably sounds a lot better, but still when Dodge advertises an Apline 506w system the expectations are set a little high.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:16 AM
Didhefocus
Professional

I was somewhat disappointed with the Alpine system at first but It actually sounds very balanced and listenable to me after getting used to it now. Pounding bass and sizzling highs while initially impressive to the untrained ear is not necessarily the way the musicians meant it to sound. True balanced audio reproduction will have smooth midrange as well as deep bass and extended treble response.
I believe the Dodge/Alpine system gets the job done and sounds great to me and the majority of Dodge owners out there.

For the Bass Freaks out there...please turn it down when driving through residential areas!

Old 07-07-2012, 07:32 AM
taken
Amateur

Originally Posted by Didhefocus
I was somewhat disappointed with the Alpine system at first but It actually sounds very balanced and listenable to me after getting used to it now. Pounding bass and sizzling highs while initially impressive to the untrained ear is not necessarily the way the musicians meant it to sound. True balanced audio reproduction will have smooth midrange as well as deep bass and extended treble response.
I believe the Dodge/Alpine system gets the job done and sounds great to me and the majority of Dodge owners out there.

For the Bass Freaks out there...please turn it down when driving through residential areas!
The bass is actually the least of what the garbage stock system is missing. If it sounds great to you, you have very low standards and expectations.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Didhefocus
Professional

Originally Posted by taken
The bass is actually the least of what the garbage stock system is missing. If it sounds great to you, you have very low standards and expectations.
Very high standards here. Accurate audio reproduction is my passion.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:19 PM
diggy33
Professional

I'd hate to see what you call "inaccurate" then, because the Alpine in the Durango is ****-poor at best.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:39 AM
taken
Amateur

LOL. With that level of "passion" I feel for your wife...

Old 07-08-2012, 08:25 AM
josm100
Default I disagree

__________________________________________________ __________

I'm glad your happy with yours and I hope it stays that way for you. I think the thing that's missing from the system is highs which are completely overpowered by the mids. The only thing it does well IMHO is the bass, although I agree "turn that thing down in my neighborhood!" As a former sound engineer in Europe I have certain expectations and this thing doesn't meet them. Although if you bring the mid all the way down, the treb all the way up and the bass at +2 or +3 and listen to a very well produced CD it's not that bad. Still a little hiss and crackle at the high end of the vocals though which is annoying. I'll let you know what difference changing the speakers makes when I get a chance to do them. Thanks for the reply.

Quick Reply: Poor Sound from Alpine Stereo