3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Poor Sound from Alpine Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 08:05 AM
taken
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's amazing how bad it really is. The more I listen to it, the worse it sounds. Now that I upgraded to the stealthbox, I don't need my mid all the way down anymore. The real problem is clarity. These are the worst sounding separates I've ever come across. My F350 has a Sony stock system and the separates are much better. Funny thing is, all the guys on the Ford forum hate those and are upgrading them. I can't imagine what they would think of the Alpines. Even my Chevy Express work van with cheap stock single driver door speakers sounds MUCH better than the Alpine system. Back in 08 we had an Overland GC. It came with a Boston Acoustic system that was ok. But, Jeep sold a factory upgrade with a better amp and Kicker speakers. That system sounded just awesome with a steathbox added. So, Chrysler is capable of putting out a decent system. Not sure why they had such an epic fail here....

Old 07-01-2012, 11:02 AM
draph94

My speculation is the sub set-up is optimized for the noise cancellation system for the V8 MDS.

Has anyone else noticed the "wump" sound when closing the throttle at highway speeds (ie when letting up on the accelerator to coast)? That usually occurs in heavy holiday interstate traffic when you can't constantly cruise. It sounds a lot like an empty container truck hitting a bump next to you (what I thought it was the first one or two times). After I confirmed it's related to throttle position, I concluded it's the sub/noise cancellation system going into a different mode.

So, I wonder if switching out the sub for better sounding music will impact the performance of the noise suppression system in 4-cylinder mode on the Hemi. I guess it will have no impact provided the positioning and aiming of the sub doesn't change.

We happen to be owners who were impressed by how quiet the Durango is at highway cruise (and also impressed how well the R/T exhaust system seems to be able to switch back and forth from boy-racer mode that I like and sedate cruise mode that my wife likes).

Old 07-01-2012, 11:31 AM
taken
Amateur

On a side note, is there any value to the stock sub? It's just taking up room in my cellar. Not sure if it's worth putting on eBay or should I just toss it?

Old 07-01-2012, 08:27 PM
GizmoDurango
Veteran

I'm late on this thread folks. I too have been trying to tweak out sound in my R/T. I don't usually buy apps for my iPhone, but there is a BBE sound max pro. It's $5, but it enhances the digital sound and completely brings out the sound. I did a sound test, using the iPod app and the BBE app and it's night and day. If you're into apps, it may be worth a try - could be cheaper than a new system.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:25 PM
Blue659
Rookie
Old 07-02-2012, 07:27 PM
Blue659
Rookie
Old 07-02-2012, 10:17 PM
hwy101
Professional

why are there two leads going to the sub?

Old 07-02-2012, 10:33 PM
RustyRT
Default I wish I kept old parts...

Originally Posted by taken
On a side note, is there any value to the stock sub? It's just taking up room in my cellar. Not sure if it's worth putting on eBay or should I just toss it?
When dealing with car 'stock' parts (even a sub) a good rule of thumb is: if you have the room, keep hold on to them (i.e. dont sell them). One day you MAY need it...then you are that guy on eBay trying to find one at a reasonable price...kicking yourself the entire time...to this day, l wish I kept my stock air intake on my previous ride, that I am about to sell...(because I now own a sick 12 Metallic Grey R/T).

(the wife wont let me keep the old car...too bad- lot's of blood sweat and swears in that car)...

Old 07-03-2012, 06:44 AM
baum
Professional

only way i would is if you plan on leaving the stealth box and the amp in the d when you get rid of it.

Originally Posted by hwy101
why are there two leads going to the sub?
Its a dual voice coil sub

Old 07-03-2012, 06:44 AM
taken
Amateur

Yes, I would leave it.

Quick Reply: Poor Sound from Alpine Stereo