3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Another issue with my 2012 Durango - Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 02:21 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Frohoss
It's been in the 20's here the last few nights. I have a 2012 Crew leather. My heated driver seat comes on too when I remote start it. Also my rear defrost comes on for some reason.(no frost) Those are the only 2 options that are being engaged. No hot air blowing etc...

Is the hot air supposed to blow out of the vents when remote started? Mine will only come on after I open the door. Are we able to enable the passenger heated seat too when it's remote started?

Chrysler/Dodge tells me my D Crew will not blow hot/cold air when remote started because "that's the way it's designed"

I'm confused by this because other D owners have said their remote start works flawlessly (engages heat/ac immediately after it's remote started) while others say it doesn't engage any heat/av or it only engages the driver heated seats.

I'm so frustrated with the supposed "design" of the D's remote start system. It's unlike any other 'normal' remote start on any other vehicle. IMO it's pointless if it won't engage the heat/ac immediately.

Don't take this as me crying but rather trying to get to the bottom of why my remote start doesn't function as other remote starts do.
Frohoss,

If the vehicle is equipped with Remote Start Comfort Systems when the remote start is activated, the heated steering wheel and driver heated seat features will automatically turn on in cold weather. In warm weather, the driver vented seat feature will automatically turn on when the remote start is activated. These features will stay on through the duration of the remote start or until the ignition switch is turned to the ON/RUN position.

The Remote Start Comfort System can be activated and deactivated through the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC). In order to do so make sure the vehicle is in PARK and press and release the UP and Down button until Setup displays in the EVIC. Use the Up or Down button and choose "Remote Start Comfort Sys." When this feature is selected and the remote start is activated, the heated steering wheel and driver seat features will automatically turn on. To make the selection, press and release the SELECT button until a check-mark appears next to the feature showing that the system has been activated. Or you can remove the check-mark if you'd like to deactivate it at any time. You can find this information on page 315-316 of the Owner's Manual, Second Edition.

I hope this helps.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:54 PM
Frohoss
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DodgeCACares
Frohoss,

If the vehicle is equipped with Remote Start Comfort Systems when the remote start is activated, the heated steering wheel and driver heated seat features will automatically turn on in cold weather. In warm weather, the driver vented seat feature will automatically turn on when the remote start is activated. These features will stay on through the duration of the remote start or until the ignition switch is turned to the ON/RUN position.

The Remote Start Comfort System can be activated and deactivated through the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC). In order to do so make sure the vehicle is in PARK and press and release the UP and Down button until Setup displays in the EVIC. Use the Up or Down button and choose "Remote Start Comfort Sys." When this feature is selected and the remote start is activated, the heated steering wheel and driver seat features will automatically turn on. To make the selection, press and release the SELECT button until a check-mark appears next to the feature showing that the system has been activated. Or you can remove the check-mark if you'd like to deactivate it at any time. You can find this information on page 315-316 of the Owner's Manual, Second Edition.

I hope this helps.
Katie,

Thanks for the info. My 'Remote Start Comfort Sys' is checked within the EVIC. This setting turns on/off the driver side heated seats when remote started. I don't believe I have a heated steering wheel or not. How does one verify if a heated steering wheel is equipped other than the obvious?

My main concern is why some 2011-13 D's allow the heat/ac to blow hot/cold when the D is remote started. While others, like mine, the only thing that turns on is the driver side heated seat and the rear defroster. This just doesn't make sense to me when Chrysler says mine won't blow hot/cold air because that's the way it's "designed" So either Chrysler is feeding me full of bologna or other D owners are.

Thanks

Old 11-27-2012, 08:57 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Frohoss
Katie,

Thanks for the info. My 'Remote Start Comfort Sys' is checked within the EVIC. This setting turns on/off the driver side heated seats when remote started. I don't believe I have a heated steering wheel or not. How does one verify if a heated steering wheel is equipped other than the obvious?

My main concern is why some 2011-13 D's allow the heat/ac to blow hot/cold when the D is remote started. While others, like mine, the only thing that turns on is the driver side heated seat and the rear defroster. This just doesn't make sense to me when Chrysler says mine won't blow hot/cold air because that's the way it's "designed" So either Chrysler is feeding me full of bologna or other D owners are.

Thanks
Frohoss,

If you'd like to PM me your VIN# I can send you a buildsheet that will have a list of the options that the vehicle came with from factory. That should inform you if the vehicle is equipped with a heated steering wheel or not. Once I have your VIN# I can also review further regarding your heat/ac inquiry.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:08 AM
coldsteel
Captain

I think I figured out why everyone thinks the remote start isn't working.

On a fully started (not remote started) vehicle, the Auto temp control system does not activate the blower when the engine/coolant temp is cold (that would be foolish). As the temperature climbs, the blower begins to increase in speed.

I think the reason people think the remote start isn't working correctly is because they are not allowing the engine to reach an operating temperature at which the ATC would increase the speed of the blower.

At 20 degrees, using remote start and allowing the vehicle to idle, it would take nearly the full remote start cycle for the engine to warm enough to activate the blower. It is normal for the blower to automatically kick to full when the door is opened (but ignition is still in remote start) and it immediately kicks back down if you turn the ignition to RUN and the vehicle is not warmed enough yet.

Can anyone try testing out their 'not working' remote start while seated inside the vehicle?

Old 11-27-2012, 09:17 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by coldsteel

On a fully started (not remote started) vehicle, the Auto temp control system does not activate the blower when the engine/coolant temp is cold (that would be foolish). As the temperature climbs, the blower begins to increase in speed.

I think the reason people think the remote start isn't working correctly is because they are not allowing the engine to reach an operating temperature at which the ATC would increase the speed of the blower.

At 20 degrees, using remote start and allowing the vehicle to idle, it would take nearly the full remote start cycle for the engine to warm enough to activate the blower. It is normal for the blower to automatically kick to full when the door is opened (but ignition is still in remote start) and it immediately kicks back down if you turn the ignition to RUN and the vehicle is not warmed enough yet.

Can anyone try testing out their 'not working' remote start while seated inside the vehicle?
This is correct. What I would further suggest is to not use the Auto function. Use manual mode, on high temp, and fan on high.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:09 AM
firetruckguy

Since it was 10 degrees here yesterday, I wanted to post my findings. My car was parked in the garage but it is still cold in there because it is not heated. I remote started it and let it run for ten minutes. I climbed in and it was warm. The heat display came on and I drove off. By the time I got to the end of the block, I was turning the heat down. I remote started it after work. It was still cold out, and I noticed the rear defrost was on. For those that want the display to come on when you start it, like I have posted before, you would get into a very cold car in the morning and it would possibly be colder than it was before you started it. The only issue I see here is that the A/C needs to turn on when it is warm out. I would think that then the display would have to turn on to make the compressor run. Hope this helps.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:26 AM
Jazi

I live out in the Middle East and it gets extremely hot in the summer time. Whenever I would remote start my D from inside my house and the car would remain hot and warm air would continue to blow through the blower no matter how long the vehicle is kept in that state. I had an Acadia previously and the remote start worked perfectly.

Can't test during winter time as it doesn't get that cold here. 7 degree Celsius is the coldest it gets.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:53 PM
Frohoss
Rookie

I’ve tested every possible setting/scenario you can think of with the remote start. From remote starting the vehicle after it has sat cold for hours to remote starting it after it's been running for an hour. Remote starting it standing beside it with the windows up/down, sitting in the vehicle, locking/unlocking, turning on/off the remote start comfort setting, testing the heater/ac at every possible internal temperature, remote starting the vehicle with the outside temperature ranging from 15 degrees to 110 degrees. Adjusted vent output on the heater controls to bottom, top, defrost, auto, etc..Basically you name it...I've tried it.

It doesn't make any difference on any of the above scenarios. It doesn't matter...When it's cold, it won't blow hot air until I open the driver side door. When it's hot, it won't blow cold ac air until i open the driver side door. Yet Chrysler says it's fine???

My dealership doesn't even understand what to make out of it and they can't look into it any further because Chrysler is not going to pay for the time and effort put into it...so now Chrysler says nothing is wrong with it.

I have had several calls with Chrysler Care's. When I initially explained my remote start issue to my appointed case manager he even said that it should blow the remote start system should activate my heater/ac when it is hot/cold. He said he’d call me back after looking into my issue and called me back with the bad news and said "nothing was wrong with it" They closed my case and left me hung out to dry. They didn't allow me to talk with anyone higher up because they said there was nobody higher up to talk to. He went we'll get it fixed to have a nice day within minutes. I told him I didn't want my case closed and he said it's not going to get fixed and the case had to be closed at that point.

Hence me trying to find out if anyone has a D with remote start that blows heat/ac immediately after you remote start it. I'm just trying to build a case here

Old 11-28-2012, 07:29 PM
Waynead
Veteran

I finally checked mine out in 30 degree weather. Remote start turns on the driver's seat heater, steering wheel heater, and front and rear defrosters (and therefore also the heated mirrors).

Old 11-29-2012, 09:23 AM
funatic
Amateur

Mine only blows air from the defrosters not from the vents when remote started. When the driver door is opened, air begins to blow from the vents and the display lights up. Regardless of where the warm air is coming from the car is warmer than the outside temperature.

On a side note...I have not been able to try the ac side of the remote start features as they just reflashed my durango about a months ago.

Quick Reply: Another issue with my 2012 Durango - Remote Start