3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Grille Insert

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 04:38 PM
jduperre
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grille Insert

In the Ron Burgundy commercials the Grille IMO looks really nice...almost looks Black with some Chrome accents...am I wrong to think there is some Chrome in there? If I'm right, any idea where I might be able to buy one? I know beggars can't be choosers, but I'd prefer an overlay style as opposed to having to take apart the whole front end to put a new one on.

Thanks
Jeff

Old 10-24-2013, 10:37 AM
50 SHADES OF MINERAL GRAY
Rookie

I also like that Grill but I'm sure it will be a while before any aftermarket ones come out like that or if they come out at all.

wondering if anyone has seen anyone selling either a Grill overlay like the one's on the Blacktop or even a bolt on version?

Old 10-25-2013, 11:51 AM
CPW1265
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get it vinyl wrapped. you can make whatever color you want and can change when you want too.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:34 PM
Orin500XL
Captain

Originally Posted by CPW1265
Get it vinyl wrapped. you can make whatever color you want and can change when you want too.
Sounds like the easiest, quickest, and cheapest. A grille for the '11-'13 DD, regardless of trim, is about $310 IIRC. I doubt the '14 would be any less expensive.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:49 PM
Rookie

I think I'm going to plasti dip it, but I want to take the grille overlay off...it seems like it snaps right off, but since it's only 3 weeks old, I'm a little nervous I'm going to brake the clips...anyone taken this off before? if so, got any pointers?

Old 10-26-2013, 09:35 PM
fishandgrits
Veteran

My pointer would be to stay away from plasti dipping anything. Looks cheap. Just my .02

Old 10-27-2013, 07:34 AM
Rookie

Originally Posted by fishandgrits
My pointer would be to stay away from plasti dipping anything. Looks cheap. Just my .02
lol - appreciate the "pointer" but the opinions on plasti dip either on this forum or others seem to be so split, I think I'm still going to try it...the good thing is if it does look cheap I can just peel it off. so, if anyone knows how to get this off without breaking the clips, I'd really like to hear from you. thanks.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:52 AM
Orin500XL
Captain

Originally Posted by 50 SHADES OF MINERAL GRAY
lol - appreciate the "pointer" but the opinions on plasti dip either on this forum or others seem to be so split, I think I'm still going to try it...the good thing is if it does look cheap I can just peel it off. so, if anyone knows how to get this off without breaking the clips, I'd really like to hear from you. thanks.
I replaced my Crew grille with a used one from a Citadel a few weeks ago. Here is an earlier how-to. http://tinyurl.com/mztwkbw Some of the pix are missing and the info is not entirely correct, but it will give you a good starting position.

There are actually ONLY four screws holding the front facia to the body; everything else snaps on/off or is held by disposable rivets which can be purchased at a local auto Zone for about $3 a dozen.
I also spent $18 for a 30-day subscription to Mitchell auto repairs on-line
which gaves a more detailed drawing of how to get things off/on. Regretfully I tossed the instructions after I finished the job. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:07 PM
Rookie

Originally Posted by Orin500XL
I replaced my Crew grille with a used one from a Citadel a few weeks ago. Here is an earlier how-to. http://tinyurl.com/mztwkbw Some of the pix are missing and the info is not entirely correct, but it will give you a good starting position.

There are actually ONLY four screws holding the front facia to the body; everything else snaps on/off or is held by disposable rivets which can be purchased at a local auto Zone for about $3 a dozen.
I also spent $18 for a 30-day subscription to Mitchell auto repairs on-line
which gaves a more detailed drawing of how to get things off/on. Regretfully I tossed the instructions after I finished the job. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

Thanks Orin - but I'm thinking I don't need to do this much to get this off. I'm not looking to replace the entire grill...to me it just seems like an overlay that snaps right on. When I open the hood, I can pull the black piece shown in that picture, it has two snaps and just snaps right out...when I do that, the "overlay" starts to come with it but I can also see there are clips holding it to the grill itself. My problem is I'm afraid to break those snaps off and I won't be able to put it back on. Seems like all I need to do is get some kind of long screw driver of some sort to push down on those clips and the "overlay" will just pop right off.

I'm sure I'm not using the right language when I say "overlay" but if you look at the link below, this is what I feel is on mine right now...just not Chrome.

http://www.shopsar.com/dodge-durango.../cci-gi-94.htm

Old 10-29-2013, 12:16 PM
Orin500XL
Captain

Originally Posted by 50 SHADES OF MINERAL GRAY
. . . to me it just seems like an overlay that snaps right on. When I open the hood, I can pull the black piece shown in that picture, it has two snaps and just snaps right out...when I do that, the "overlay" starts to come with it but I can also see there are clips holding it to the grill itself. My problem is I'm afraid to break those snaps off and I won't be able to put it back on. Seems like all I need to do is get some kind of long screw driver of some sort to push down on those clips and the "overlay" will just pop right off.

I'm sure I'm not using the right language when I say "overlay" but if you look at the link below, this is what I feel is on mine right now...just not Chrome.

http://www.shopsar.com/dodge-durango.../cci-gi-94.htm
I just looked at the '12 Crew grille I have in storage and was surprised at the construction method. For starters, ALL of the black parts of the grille are a SINGLE molded piece, including the honeycomb grille. The chrome surround and the accents on the "crosshairs" is also a SINGLE piece that is held on by 22 clips. The only way to separate them WITHOUt damaging the grille is to remove the grille entirely, then remove the chrome piece.

For the '11-'13 Citadel the factory (?) cut out the black honeycomb and inserted chrome honeycomb, with each of the four inserts held by at least six clips. The attach points for the clips are molded into the basic black grille telling me that Dodge's intent was to use a single basic piece that could be modified to handle model-specific upgrades.

The '14 grille "appears" to be a modification of the '11-'13 grille with the major difference being chrome "stars" added to the crosshairs on the R/T and Citadel. There is no reason for me to suspect the manufacture of the grille was significantly different from earlier models, i.e black basic grille as one piece and the chrome accents as one piece also.

Quick Reply: Grille Insert