Airaid Intake for 3rd Gen Durango

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 06:16 PM
Total Automotive
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airaid Intake for 3rd Gen Durango

Hey DF Members,

We ran this special on another Dodge Durango forum (it will remain nameless ) and it was a really popular unit. We've had some calls for it from here so we figured we would list it up. If you have an Airaid system let us know how you like it. If you'd like to get one yourself give us a call at 702.979.1577 or check out the links below

AirAid Intake for 2011+ Dodge Durango and Jeep Grand Cherokee.

AIRAID keeps the Dodge applications coming with the release of the Cold Air Dam (CAD) Intake System for the 2011+ Dodge Durango. One part number covers both the Pentastar V6 and Hemi V8 engine options for these vehicles.

The CAD Intake System replaces the restrictive factory air box and its paper filter with Cold Air Dam Panels that keep hot engine compartment air away from the new air filter. Blade-style weather-stripping attaches to the top of the panels and seals against the hood, further blocking hot air. The CAD panels even re-use the OEM air scoop, ensuring a clean, cold air charge to the engine. The panels attach to factory mounting points for an easy installation using common hand tools.The AIRAID system utilizes a massive 1100 cfm air filter, which attaches to the factory intake tube. The combination is worth an impressive 10 horsepower and 12 lb./ft. of torque with the Pentastar V6, and a hair-raising 16 horsepower and 14 lb./ft. of torque with the Hemi! That’s power you can feel right from the driver seat!

Air filter options include AIRAID’s traditional SynthaFlow® composite material or SynthaMax® non-oiled filtration technology in a variety of colors. Both filters are washable and re-usable.

Like the rest of AIRAID’s product line, the new CAD Intake System is Made in the USA and backed by our “No Hassle” warranty! Covers All Engine Options for Both Vehicles ans is an easy 100% Bolt-On Installation

Oiled and Non-Oiled Filters Available
310-212 - SynthaFlow Oiled - Red
311-212 - SynthaMax non-oiled - Red
312-212 - SynthaMax non-oiled - Black
313-212 - SynthaMax non-oiled - Blue

Old 07-04-2014, 12:12 PM
Robert_Esq
Amateur

"The combination is worth an impressive 10 horsepower and 12 lb./ft. of torque with the Pentastar V6"

Marketing BS. Maybe 1% increase in power that would be unnoticeable.
Cold Air Intakes Mythbusted (
)

Last edited by Robert_Esq; 07-04-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:15 PM
Orin500XL
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I suspected. I've been reading about CAIs for months but this is the first real-world test I've seen. Thanks. You just saved me about $300.

Old 07-05-2014, 02:41 PM
Total Automotive
Former Vendor

That video is really ridiculous. Its funny, but very un scientific. I hope you arent taking tuning advice from MCM to heart.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:23 AM
SS2RT
Captain

do it for the engine bay bling and added aggressive sound - not for noticeable power increase. combined with a tune and other mods it could then be more beneficial for performance

Old 07-06-2014, 01:13 PM
Robert_Esq
Amateur

Originally Posted by TAP Auto Parts
That video is really ridiculous. Its funny, but very un scientific. I hope you arent taking tuning advice from MCM to heart.
The pot calling the kettle black? You're trying to sell these and I understand that, but posting in the forum? Its pretty ridiculous for air intake sellers to claim such improvements. Stock air intakes are basically already designed as a "cold air intake" to take air from outside the engine bay (usually behind a headlight) all while insulated from the engine bay heat. Some manufacturer's even put that on the window sticker but they all do this. Take the Hyundai genesis, on the sticker they say "Cold Air Intake" ("CAI") and it looks exactly like everything else on the market. K&N sells a "CAI" for the genesis and its again a stupid shaped colorful filter. Basically like all other cars the only thing really being changed is the filter's shape and color for eye candy. You can debate these minor points but the end result is the same. Because if these colorful aftermarket CAI had any supporting evidence and worked as claimed then automakers would be using them. This video is just one piece of evidence against aftermarket air intakes from an independent third party.

Also the only performance mod I'm looking for is something that would actually provide more air. That would be a (for me a CARB legal) turbocharger/supercharger as those actually provide more air to an engine. None of these gimmicks.

Last edited by Robert_Esq; 07-06-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:20 PM
archemedes74
Veteran

factory air boxes typically have silencers (many times a big box inline) to keep customers from complaining of a growling noise, the cai eliminates that usually (straight pipe) on a dyno it won't show much if any change, on a track you'll see small improvements (my gp gained 3 tenths in the quarter from a new airbox) they also tend to have better flowing air filters (not always of course) auto manufacturers don't make changes for more power if it causes more complaints (and a basic cai will harm fuel mileage slightly). If they did things simply for power there would be no after market heads or cams sold, wouldn't need them

Old 07-07-2014, 02:09 PM
Orin500XL
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TAP Auto Parts

Unscientific? OK, so they didn't adjust for air density, nor vortexes in the runners, nor ambient temps at the intake AND SIMUTANIOUSLY at the runners and valves, nor flow rates along the length of the runners. And I sure there are a few other parameters that could've been added. But by laying down a base line then running different combinations they got enough valid data from the dyno -- IMHO -- to strongly support their stated observations that CAIs don't provide NOTICABLE extra power. Even if they are weekend, shade-tree mechanics, at least they ran the tests and posted the results.
So, let's see your science.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:56 PM
Saleen190
Professional

hmmm......crickets.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:32 AM
sbmG8GT
Amateur

Sorry, but that video really is dumb if you are trying to make a general statement about all cold air intakes being worthless. There are to many factors that go into one functioning that they didn't address. I'm not saying that they all give the sort of gains some of these companies make, such as most K&N filters with their 20+hp gains, but there are many that make very good increases.

I've owned and raced many cars and especially with a turbo car as in the video it is hard not to get good gains, especially if a quality intake and piping is used. Those guys look like they grabbed the cheapest NAPA special they could find. Here is an equally good article as that video in which they get peak power gains of 16hp and 16ftlb and max gains of 20hp and 17ftlb in the powerband, with only the intake. http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...ir-Intake.aspx

It all depends on how restrictive the factory system is, if it's pretty efficient then it obviously won't be as beneficial. With my current car it has been dyno proven to pick up about 10hp and slightly less lbft torque with a intake, not great but surely not worthless. My previous car was a Evo and gains of 15-20hp were very common, it helped lean the car out from a very very factory rich setting. With just a intake and a tune I picked up a second in the 1/4 mile and almost 7mph.

Quick Reply: Airaid Intake for 3rd Gen Durango