3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Engine trouble on brand new 2014 r/t

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 07:57 AM
Wash Man
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GotRPM
I am constantly amazed at the 'entitlement mentality' of so many folks. New vehicles have warranties for just this kind of occurrence - something wrong from the factory. The damage reported is not fatal by any means if properly repaired - and it is easy to repair. The dealer - and Chrysler who paid for the repair - did what they promised to do in their contract with the OP. The OP is certainly NOT entitled to a new vehicle if the repair was done correctly. That seems to be the case. Trying to judge the mph of a vehicle with ~100 miles on the clock is ridiculous, it will get better with break-in (and it won't take 10,000 miles!). The OP needs to exercise patience and maturity. S**t happens. Get over it. .
'entitlement mentality'. WTH?
The OP paid for a brand new vehicle and therefore is 'entitled' to a new vehicle that is without unreasonable flaws or defects. Major engine damage 30 min after you drive it off the lot is not "reasonable". It's up to Chrysler as to how they remedy their failure to deliver what was purchased. With 50 miles on it, it would cost them almost nothing to take it as a a Demo and provide the OP with a substitute. but it is their decision to make. The OP is not unreasonable to expect Chrysler to deliver what he purchased

Old 11-03-2014, 09:39 AM
Thekoning
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gotrpm has obviously had a bad experience in the past he's still pissed about.

The OP paid for a brand new car, if it has defects after 50miles he deserves a brand new car or the issue completly fixed same thing basically for the dealer. That's what a warrenty is. This is not some entitlement mentality its fairness.

Last edited by Thekoning; 11-03-2014 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:37 AM
mike2014rt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would agree completely fixed is good as new for most things but not an engine with a hundred miles on it. Engines are too complicated and important. I don't feel entitled to anything, but I sure think it's fair to expect a new vehicle without a damaged engine - and if the one I get has a damaged engine to get it replaced. Next thing you'll say is I should have examined the engine before I purchased it to make sure there were no bent push-rods or whatever the hell it was.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:36 PM
wi-steve
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would agree that something more than just the repair is due, but a complete replacement vehicle is probably overkill. A complimentary extended warranty should ease the mind. Maybe free oil changes for life.

One of the reasons I don't like the idea of an entire replacement vehicle is that this means that the repaired vehicle is going to be sold to some unsuspecting soul WITHOUT knowledge of what happened, without the benefit of any extended coverage.

That said, I would want a new vehicle too. But that still doesn't make it rational.

Steve

Old 11-05-2014, 09:53 AM
mike2014rt

Originally Posted by wi-steve
One of the reasons I don't like the idea of an entire replacement vehicle is that this means that the repaired vehicle is going to be sold to some unsuspecting soul WITHOUT knowledge of what happened, without the benefit of any extended coverage. Steve
I appreciate the sentiment but your reasoning seems to validate a replacement. No one would buy this vehicle from me knowing the history. It's worth thousands less that it would be (even beyond the 'drive it off the lot' penalty). I was the unsuspecting soul who didn't know it was broken until it was too late. Chrysler should have to take responsibility, not me.

As an update, after my initial request was "escalated", they called back yesterday. I said the same thing to the new person who said he'd "escalate" it and get back to me. I thought it was already escalated?? The stalling begins...

Old 11-05-2014, 07:44 PM
coldsteel
Captain

Get the replacement that you want or trade it in quick and take the initial hit; better than the engine crapping out again AFTER the warranty is up

Old 11-06-2014, 05:52 PM
Nyaristo

Sorry to hear about that. Sounds like it was just your luck but congrats on your new truck though and the 14s shouldn't break like yours did good luck brotha

Old 11-09-2014, 11:51 PM
c_l_phillips72

Subscribing to this thread as I'm interested in how this is going to work out for you.

Hopefully Chrysler will step up and provide a new vehicle. Who knows what damage could be caused by the rocker arm. I'd have to talk with multiple mechanics to find out every single part that possibly could have been damaged and require that all of those parts, damaged or not, be replaced. You probably have no idea if any of those parts have been compromised, and those parts may fail earlier than they would have without the issue you're facing.

I guess to put it simply, I'd want a new one for peace of mind.

Good luck to you and I hope you'll post when the issue has been resolved.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:24 AM
SteelR/TAZ
Veteran

I still think the most they will offer is an extended warranty or something along those lines. Granted my issues were different than yours, but mine was in for service 11+ times and it took me almost 3-4 months to finally get them to agree to replace mine. So ... all I would say is if this is what you want, fighting the fight might take some time.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:46 PM
mike2014rt

The resolution team called on Friday. The big update was that they asked the dealer if they'd take it back and they said no - like I didn't already know that! They said they'd call today with what they could do but haven't heard from them. And of course they never answer the phone when I call. Not the experience I was hoping for from my new car purchase.

Quick Reply: Engine trouble on brand new 2014 r/t