3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Jolting on downshifting : 5>4 and 2>1

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2019 | 12:48 PM
Junior Maria

Originally Posted by mnunes
Same here. A little over a month and a half and still perfect. I think they finally figured this one out.
Here's the TSB: http://wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_2101319.pdf
Hi,

My DD is in the dealer now, and they had no idea that a new service bulletin was out for this problem. The update they added was from November 2018. I hope the new update fixes this problem.

Old 10-04-2019 | 05:22 PM
Junior Maria

Originally Posted by Junior Maria
Hi,

My DD is in the dealer now, and they had no idea that a new service bulletin was out for this problem. The update they added was from November 2018. I hope the new update fixes this problem.
So a quick update: Dealership called and they opened star case for me. The service consultant said that he's waiting for Chrysler to respond to the star case to see if they need to swap the transmission. If swapping the transmission fixes the problem, the Chrysler needs to do a recall on these transmission.

Old 10-04-2019 | 11:58 PM
mnunes
Amateur

So a quick update: Dealership called and they opened star case for me. The service consultant said that he's waiting for Chrysler to respond to the star case to see if they need to swap the transmission. If swapping the transmission fixes the problem, the Chrysler needs to do a recall on these transmission.
Getting a new tranny is nice, since the warranty on the replacement is 3yr/100k miles, which is usually longer than you have left on the original warranty.

Keep us posted!

Old 10-07-2019 | 12:31 PM
DodgeCares
Champion

Happy to hear this! If you'd like an extra layer of assistance while your car is in for service, feel free to send us a private message.

Kaitlin
Dodge Cares

Old 10-17-2019 | 01:25 PM
2MilFlyer
Angry Rough shifting on 2016 R/T

We have a 2016 R/T that has started to shift roughly. Our dealership (Findley in Wilsonville, OR) said "there is a FW that could fix it, but we won't guarantee it, and it will cost you $70". That is not an acceptable answer. This is a known issue and should be covered at no cost, and should be able to have some engineer at Chrysler validate the effectiveness. Findley also said "the Durango learns how each driver drives, so it can be different for each". I highly doubt that Chrysler has AI built-in.... I call BS.

Originally Posted by RamedHemi
Dealer just called me, they experienced the downshifting jolts 2 times in a short drive. Apparently there is a new TSB out to flash the computer. Who knows if this will work but its a start. Any one else with these issues please let me know. Anyone having these issues with no fix should be calling Chrysler Corp. to create a case. This will get us more exposure and hopefully attention of engineers to finally figure out what's wrong. There # is 800-247-9753

Can this thread be highlighted to get more attention??I want everyone with an R/T and having these issues to get involved here. We shouldn't settle that this is just the way it is. Thanks.

Old 10-18-2019 | 12:12 AM
mnunes
Amateur

Originally Posted by 2MilFlyer
We have a 2016 R/T that has started to shift roughly. Our dealership (Findley in Wilsonville, OR) said "there is a FW that could fix it, but we won't guarantee it, and it will cost you $70". That is not an acceptable answer. This is a known issue and should be covered at no cost, and should be able to have some engineer at Chrysler validate the effectiveness. Findley also said "the Durango learns how each driver drives, so it can be different for each". I highly doubt that Chrysler has AI built-in.... I call BS.
I agree and disagree.

The transmission *does* adapt to the driver's style, but only to a point. It's the reason that when you've been driving in a spirited manner the shifts feel a bit crisper, and when you drive like my dad they start to get softer. But to clunk as it shifts between gears is well beyond what adaptation should do.

The rough shifting is definitely a known issue and there is a STAR case they can reference: S1421000017. The dealer is not under any obligation to perform flash updates at no charge (since they're typically not reimbursed by FCA for non-warranty work), but a service department that wants your repeat business might do it for free. @DodgeCares might be able to advise better on an approach you and others in the same boat should take, since it's not an isolated incident and the most recent TCM flash + drive adaptation seems to have fixed the issue for everyone who's had the problem.

Old 10-18-2019 | 02:35 PM
2MilFlyer

Thanks for the update. I will try this out.

Old 11-04-2019 | 09:02 PM
NorCalAthlete
|
Rookie

Hey everyone. Wow I didn't realize this was still ongoing and had been made a sticky - been PMing back and forth via email with a couple people on it though.

So, update. I took my Durango in on Friday for its 40,000 mile service and had a few issues I wanted them to look at - #1 being that the shifting jolting was still a problem.

To date: 2 software updates and a complete leave-my-car-with-them-and-let-them-do-a-complete-factory-reset-and-reprogram-reteach service were covered by the dealership. This was at approximately 10k, 20k, 30k miles. Unfortunately, while the first 2 software updates greatly helped smooth out the 5 > 4 downshift, the 2 > 1 remained, prompting the factory reset. Also unfortunately (and somewhat predictably), after the reset the 5 > 4 returned as well and the 2 > 1 got harsher. So. 40k mile service, asked them to have another look, mentioned the star case (though not the case number).

Service tech told me they've replaced several transmissions over the last few months, to the point where he'd asked the appointment schedulers to stop scheduling them for Fridays as it can take a couple days to get parts ordered and the weekend just adds time as nobody is working on them.

Steps they're taking : Replace a valve body I think he said that Dodge requires them to try first, and if that doesn't fix the problem then they replace the whole transmission. One reason they're keeping my car for a few days extra is so their own techs can test and replicate. Now, I'm not happy about being in a rental for any longer than I have to be, and I'm not happy about letting some tech cruise my vehicle around for road testing, but...meh. If they **** it up I'll push the issue, otherwise what's a few more miles. It's not a lease. Reason they gave me for their own tech to road test is that Dodge has apparently DENIED a few transmission swaps when the valve body fix didn't solve the issue - Dodge claimed the customer (ie, you or me) had simply done further damage by driving it after it had left the shop and therefore start over at square one of troubleshooting or some crap. So I figured screw it and left the car with them - they're paying for the rental anyway.

So, hopefully I should get my Durango back this Friday with a brand spanking new transmission and no more jolting on downshift issue.

Old 11-04-2019 | 11:10 PM
mnunes
Amateur

Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete
Hey everyone. Wow I didn't realize this was still ongoing and had been made a sticky - been PMing back and forth via email with a couple people on it though.

So, update. I took my Durango in on Friday for its 40,000 mile service and had a few issues I wanted them to look at - #1 being that the shifting jolting was still a problem.

To date: 2 software updates and a complete leave-my-car-with-them-and-let-them-do-a-complete-factory-reset-and-reprogram-reteach service were covered by the dealership. This was at approximately 10k, 20k, 30k miles. Unfortunately, while the first 2 software updates greatly helped smooth out the 5 > 4 downshift, the 2 > 1 remained, prompting the factory reset. Also unfortunately (and somewhat predictably), after the reset the 5 > 4 returned as well and the 2 > 1 got harsher. So. 40k mile service, asked them to have another look, mentioned the star case (though not the case number).

Service tech told me they've replaced several transmissions over the last few months, to the point where he'd asked the appointment schedulers to stop scheduling them for Fridays as it can take a couple days to get parts ordered and the weekend just adds time as nobody is working on them.

Steps they're taking : Replace a valve body I think he said that Dodge requires them to try first, and if that doesn't fix the problem then they replace the whole transmission. One reason they're keeping my car for a few days extra is so their own techs can test and replicate. Now, I'm not happy about being in a rental for any longer than I have to be, and I'm not happy about letting some tech cruise my vehicle around for road testing, but...meh. If they **** it up I'll push the issue, otherwise what's a few more miles. It's not a lease. Reason they gave me for their own tech to road test is that Dodge has apparently DENIED a few transmission swaps when the valve body fix didn't solve the issue - Dodge claimed the customer (ie, you or me) had simply done further damage by driving it after it had left the shop and therefore start over at square one of troubleshooting or some crap. So I figured screw it and left the car with them - they're paying for the rental anyway.

So, hopefully I should get my Durango back this Friday with a brand spanking new transmission and no more jolting on downshift issue.
Wow! Hopefully they get to the bottom of this quickly. Lots of valve body replacements and transmission replacements have been thrown around in the last, what, 18 months? It seems crazy that they're still trying to figure out what's going on and that they would even consider saying it's the customer's fault! FWIW - when they replaced my transmission the smooth shifting only lasted something like 100 miles then it got rough again. Only the final re-programming worked. Who's to say if the programming alone would have fixed it.

As always, best of luck and keep us posted!

Old 11-08-2019 | 06:42 PM
NorCalAthlete
|
Rookie

Originally Posted by mnunes
Wow! Hopefully they get to the bottom of this quickly. Lots of valve body replacements and transmission replacements have been thrown around in the last, what, 18 months? It seems crazy that they're still trying to figure out what's going on and that they would even consider saying it's the customer's fault! FWIW - when they replaced my transmission the smooth shifting only lasted something like 100 miles then it got rough again. Only the final re-programming worked. Who's to say if the programming alone would have fixed it.

As always, best of luck and keep us posted!
just got the call from the dealership - after taking 6 attempts to “learn” again with the new valve body they test drove and said issue is still present so they are proceeding with transmission swap and extending my rental.

1. Anyone know if this is also happening with Jeep Grand Cherokees or Ram 1500s that share the transmission and engine combo? Or anything else?

2. My rental is a 4Runner. I know fanatics love them and there is a massive aftermarket, but...good god what a gutless underpowered broad turning radius uncomfortable vehicle compared to my Durango. Gimme my V8 back already!!!!

I do wish there was more aftermarket love for the Durango. Bumpers, light bars, skid plates, fender flares, lift kits, etc. If I do end up having to trade the vehicle in I’ll probably swap to a JGC assuming they’re not experiencing the same issues.

Quick Reply: Jolting on downshifting : 5>4 and 2>1