3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Jolting on downshifting : 5>4 and 2>1

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2019 | 08:29 PM
Bryll5398

Originally Posted by Bryll5398
I bought my 2016 Durango r/t used a couple months ago with 48,000 miles on it. Got it home and drove it for a couple months and noticed a knock in the front end and the harsh down shifts from 2-1 every once in a while. Took it to the dealer last week and had the front end fixed ($600 on a new strut on a 50k mile suv is bs but it is what it is) since the Powertrain is still under warranty I had them check out the harsh down shift. Got the car back and they said everything is normal and they did a update flash. Now the downshifting is 1000 times worse not only is it in 2-1 now it is a clank and a harsh shift from 5-4. After reading all this makes me wonder “ why did I buy this car? Now I’m stuck with this p.o.s. for 5 years and who knows how much $ I will dump into this after this warranty is up” dodge should be ashamed of this problem and the way the dealerships are handling it!!! I have an appointment this week with the dealer we will see if they can fix it.
So just picked up my Durango from the dealer after they had it for a week and they replaced the valve body under warranty. The rough down shift from 2-1 is better and 5-4 is gone. But now I have a really rough shift from 6-5 now. This is absolutely ridiculous. These dealers can’t fix the problem or is the problem unfixable. Chrysler needs to own up and spend some money to get this fixed. So I’m going back to the dealer this week (more time wasted) to see if they can fix this problem now. Has anybody got a real permanent fix for this?

Old 12-24-2019 | 09:29 PM
mnunes
Amateur

Originally Posted by Bryll5398
So just picked up my Durango from the dealer after they had it for a week and they replaced the valve body under warranty. The rough down shift from 2-1 is better and 5-4 is gone. But now I have a really rough shift from 6-5 now. This is absolutely ridiculous. These dealers can’t fix the problem or is the problem unfixable. Chrysler needs to own up and spend some money to get this fixed. So I’m going back to the dealer this week (more time wasted) to see if they can fix this problem now. Has anybody got a real permanent fix for this?
That's crazy! Definitely take it back to them and have the service advisor or transmission tech take a ride with you. It *is* possible that it just needs a re-learn and it might do that on its own over the next couple hundred miles. It's also possible that the 2-1 and 5-4 rough shifting will come back if they didn't apply the latest TCM programming. My experience was that they could make the 2-1 and 5-4 shifting better for a week or two (and maybe a couple hundred miles), even after they replaced the entire transmission, but until the right TCM programming and re-learn process were followed it wouldn't be right permanently. Since the fix, it's been good for a bit over 6 months now, so it *does* seem like they can get them to work properly so any rough shifting is definitely NOT normal. If they throw their hands up in the air, have them look up STAR case S1421000017 and TSB 21-030-14.

With the 5-year, 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, other than the inconvenience of having to go back more than once, this is on their dime. If they end up replacing the transmission it comes with a 3-year, 100,000 mile warranty.

Old 12-24-2019 | 09:30 PM
mnunes
Amateur

For anyone who's been following this thread, how many have had the TSB (21-030-14) and relearn done? Has it fixed the problem for you, or are you still dealing with rough shifting?

Old 01-06-2020 | 12:32 PM
RamedHemi
Professional

I am now having the 5>4 downshifting issues again. Truck has 36k miles. I do know if the TSB above is the same one i had done in Jan 2019. I cant believe to this day Chrysler still hasn't advised customers of this known issues. Was expecting something in the mail by now.

I have an appointment on the 15th. We will see.

Old 01-26-2020 | 11:53 PM
NorCalAthlete
|
Rookie

Sigh.

Been driving a lot lately (family stuff), about an extra 200-300 miles per week. Also snowboarding season is back in swing so long trips to Tahoe and back.

Latest trip to Tahoe (this weekend)...I started feeling the 5 > 4 again. Juuuuuuust a tiny bit, but perceptible. Gut feeling says it's gonna worsen again and the cycle will repeat.

About 42,700 miles give or take for current mileage.

Old 01-27-2020 | 11:20 PM
mnunes
Amateur

Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete
Sigh.

Been driving a lot lately (family stuff), about an extra 200-300 miles per week. Also snowboarding season is back in swing so long trips to Tahoe and back.

Latest trip to Tahoe (this weekend)...I started feeling the 5 > 4 again. Juuuuuuust a tiny bit, but perceptible. Gut feeling says it's gonna worsen again and the cycle will repeat.

About 42,700 miles give or take for current mileage.
So that's, what, just over 2 months since you had everything done, including a new transmission? When I had my tranny replaced it was smooth for just a couple weeks (like 100 miles) and then -BAM- just as bad as ever, not something gradual. But once they got the programming done right, it's been fine. I'm at 8 months and 5000 miles, give or take, and no indication that the problem is returning. (fingers remaining crossed forever I guess.....)

Hopefully yours was just a hiccup.

Old 01-28-2020 | 12:25 AM
NorCalAthlete
|
Rookie

Originally Posted by mnunes
So that's, what, just over 2 months since you had everything done, including a new transmission? When I had my tranny replaced it was smooth for just a couple weeks (like 100 miles) and then -BAM- just as bad as ever, not something gradual. But once they got the programming done right, it's been fine. I'm at 8 months and 5000 miles, give or take, and no indication that the problem is returning. (fingers remaining crossed forever I guess.....)

Hopefully yours was just a hiccup.
Give or take yeah. 2 months, maybe 3,000 miles if that. No rough driving, barely ever even engaging sportmode, just commuting and freeway / traffic miles. Really disappointed here I was hoping to get a hell of a lot more before the issue came back. Maybe I'm just more sensitive to it early on now?

I don't know what to do here.

Old 02-05-2020 | 11:36 AM
RamedHemi
Professional

So mine got another flash and reprogram of shift points about 2-3 week ago. Its been perfect up and down shifting in every gear. They said there was an updated TSB for my truck but was a different code that what most where advising on here. Prob 300 miles since flash and still good. Fingers crossed. Hoping its finally fixed as Mnunes describes. 5>4 downshifts are noticeability very smooth, best since i purchased the truck in 9/2019. Dealership said i'm the only one they know of with this issue. Wondering if people are living with it or they are BS'in me.

The following users liked this post:
mnunes (02-06-2020)
Old 03-02-2020 | 11:14 PM
mnunes
Amateur

Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete
Give or take yeah. 2 months, maybe 3,000 miles if that. No rough driving, barely ever even engaging sportmode, just commuting and freeway / traffic miles. Really disappointed here I was hoping to get a hell of a lot more before the issue came back. Maybe I'm just more sensitive to it early on now?

I don't know what to do here.
@NorCalAthlete - Has it changed any, for better or worse, since your last post?

Old 03-08-2020 | 02:11 PM
RamedHemi
Professional

same, still perfect! So happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. About 1k miles since the update. Will keep checking in. Anyone else please update your status.

Quick Reply: Jolting on downshifting : 5>4 and 2>1