3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Jolting on downshifting : 5>4 and 2>1

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2019 | 11:14 PM
mnunes
Amateur

Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete
just got the call from the dealership - after taking 6 attempts to “learn” again with the new valve body they test drove and said issue is still present so they are proceeding with transmission swap and extending my rental.

1. Anyone know if this is also happening with Jeep Grand Cherokees or Ram 1500s that share the transmission and engine combo? Or anything else?

2. My rental is a 4Runner. I know fanatics love them and there is a massive aftermarket, but...good god what a gutless underpowered broad turning radius uncomfortable vehicle compared to my Durango. Gimme my V8 back already!!!!

I do wish there was more aftermarket love for the Durango. Bumpers, light bars, skid plates, fender flares, lift kits, etc. If I do end up having to trade the vehicle in I’ll probably swap to a JGC assuming they’re not experiencing the same issues.
Very similar issues across the various cars/trucks that share the engine and tranny. Most of the discussions are about rough 2>1 downshifts, some also talk about other similar shifting problems. Lots of valve body replacements, lots of transmission replacements, lots of flashing. Very few consistent results.

Jeeps:
https://www.jeepgarage.org/threads/2...g-down.221403/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...on-issue.6211/

Durango:
https://www.dodgedurango.net/threads...wnshift.44641/

RAM:
https://www.ramforumz.com/threads/20...shifts.235662/

Old 11-10-2019 | 02:35 AM
NorCalAthlete
|
Rookie

Well...crap. That's extremely disappointing. I feel like this is the best looking and performing Durango yet. The Hemi + 8 speed was a winning combo for me for better fuel efficiency + power but if it's tanking so soon, across the board, on reliability...that's not good.

I really do love the new Rams and everything Dodge is doing but the reliability needs to be there too. I had a 1998 Dakota - damn near drove it into the ground, it was still going strong at almost 200,000 miles with 0 issues till it got totaled by a 2-car collusion while parked on the street. Went for a 2010 Ram 1500 after that - almost 90k miles with only minor issues - header bolts and the tilt-down-when-in-reverse mirror function broke and they replaced the whole mirror for me under warranty.

Now I'm getting a new transmission at under 40k miles? Come on Dodge...not cool. Happy that it's getting fixed, but if the next one breaks too...and the next...etc...what then? Some here and in those other threads are describing their 8-speeds basically chewing themselves apart. I don't get it - I thought these were the same 8-speeds used in a ton of other platforms ranging from BMWs to whatever? These should be a lot more reliable no?

Old 11-11-2019 | 07:38 AM
Lee Norris

Originally Posted by wi-steve
Dodgecares: Could this help with slippage during a cold 1>2 shift? My 2015 Durango RT acts as if it slips into neutral for a second or two between 1st and second. Only when cold, only on the first time going through the gears.
I’ve had the same problem and the dealer kept the car for two weeks and said they couldn’t duplicate the issue. Took a ride with Mechanic he felt it went back to dealership said they would re program transmission. Needless to say the car still does the slippage and dealership says that the way the transmission is suppose to act
Very disappointed
Lee

Old 11-11-2019 | 11:06 PM
mnunes
Amateur

Well...crap. That's extremely disappointing. I feel like this is the best looking and performing Durango yet. The Hemi + 8 speed was a winning combo for me for better fuel efficiency + power but if it's tanking so soon, across the board, on reliability...that's not good.

I really do love the new Rams and everything Dodge is doing but the reliability needs to be there too. I had a 1998 Dakota - damn near drove it into the ground, it was still going strong at almost 200,000 miles with 0 issues till it got totaled by a 2-car collusion while parked on the street. Went for a 2010 Ram 1500 after that - almost 90k miles with only minor issues - header bolts and the tilt-down-when-in-reverse mirror function broke and they replaced the whole mirror for me under warranty.

Now I'm getting a new transmission at under 40k miles? Come on Dodge...not cool. Happy that it's getting fixed, but if the next one breaks too...and the next...etc...what then? Some here and in those other threads are describing their 8-speeds basically chewing themselves apart. I don't get it - I thought these were the same 8-speeds used in a ton of other platforms ranging from BMWs to whatever? These should be a lot more reliable no?
I'm with you on how disappointed I've been with their quality control. The new transmission under warranty should come with an additional 3 yr/100k mile warranty, so if it's going to tear itself apart again for the same reason you might still be under that warranty. Inconvenient? Absolutely. Expensive? Maybe not so much.

This article on allpar.com talks about the ZF 8-speed. It does say that the design is the same as for the other manufacturers (BMW, Porsche, etc.) but for Chrysler/FCA there were modifications. And I can pretty much guarantee that the programming is different from one manufacturer to the next. Get the programming wrong and the transmission will fail faster and in more exciting ways.

Old 11-19-2019 | 11:14 PM
NorCalAthlete
|
Rookie

Update :

Got my Durango back from the dealership. They replicated the harsh downshifting after replacing the valve body and went ahead with a whole new transmission. Took almost 3 weeks and the rental agency called me twice saying my 4runner was overdue during that time, meaning somewhere along the line the dealership forgot to pay the rental place or the rental place didn't process their request (and given the rental place, I'm inclined to think it's on them and not the dealer...I've been going to this dealer for almost 10 years now).

New transmission = no issues so far, but I've only had it back for a few hours.

A couple major differences to me after driving the 4runner for almost a month:
1. POWAH. Goooooooood it feels good to stomp on the gas pedal to merge into traffic again and actually have a response.
2. Turning - the power steering is far easier with the Durango. I'm not sure if they reset it to comfort instead of sport where I had it, I need to check that, but it's a monumental difference from the feel of the 4Runner. Also, I feel like I have a far better turning radius with the Durango even though the difference is minimal on paper.
3. Brake pedal feel - I had a hard time "inching" or cruising slowly riding the brake pedal with the 4runner. It was either on or off and pretty lengthy travel, and would just kind of engage halfway through. The Durango is immediate feel and I can have a much lighter touch to modulate speed again. I'm readjusting.

Also: with the memory function stopping working on the seat, they pulled the code for me while they were doing the diagnostic for the new transmission, and said basically it had paused itself because it "lost" where the limit was. A simple "run the seat all the way forward and all the way backward a couple times with the vehicle running, then turn off and get out and back in" was enough to reset it and all is good again now. Just an FYI if any of you encounter the memory function or easy access stops working randomly but you can still move the seats manually. In my case it looks like the Husky floor mats in the backseat got scrunched up at some point and may have impeded the seat moving back all the way with the easy access in/out movement.

Dealership didn't mention 3 year / 100k mile warranty on the new transmission and I forgot to ask. Was in a hurry between meetings today. I'll call and ask them about it tomorrow.

Old 11-19-2019 | 11:51 PM
mnunes
Amateur

Update :

Got my Durango back from the dealership. They replicated the harsh downshifting after replacing the valve body and went ahead with a whole new transmission. Took almost 3 weeks and the rental agency called me twice saying my 4runner was overdue during that time, meaning somewhere along the line the dealership forgot to pay the rental place or the rental place didn't process their request (and given the rental place, I'm inclined to think it's on them and not the dealer...I've been going to this dealer for almost 10 years now).

New transmission = no issues so far, but I've only had it back for a few hours.

A couple major differences to me after driving the 4runner for almost a month:
1. POWAH. Goooooooood it feels good to stomp on the gas pedal to merge into traffic again and actually have a response.
2. Turning - the power steering is far easier with the Durango. I'm not sure if they reset it to comfort instead of sport where I had it, I need to check that, but it's a monumental difference from the feel of the 4Runner. Also, I feel like I have a far better turning radius with the Durango even though the difference is minimal on paper.
3. Brake pedal feel - I had a hard time "inching" or cruising slowly riding the brake pedal with the 4runner. It was either on or off and pretty lengthy travel, and would just kind of engage halfway through. The Durango is immediate feel and I can have a much lighter touch to modulate speed again. I'm readjusting.

Also: with the memory function stopping working on the seat, they pulled the code for me while they were doing the diagnostic for the new transmission, and said basically it had paused itself because it "lost" where the limit was. A simple "run the seat all the way forward and all the way backward a couple times with the vehicle running, then turn off and get out and back in" was enough to reset it and all is good again now. Just an FYI if any of you encounter the memory function or easy access stops working randomly but you can still move the seats manually. In my case it looks like the Husky floor mats in the backseat got scrunched up at some point and may have impeded the seat moving back all the way with the easy access in/out movement.

Dealership didn't mention 3 year / 100k mile warranty on the new transmission and I forgot to ask. Was in a hurry between meetings today. I'll call and ask them about it tomorrow.
Isn't it a great feeling to get your own car back after not having it for a while?!!
Keep us posted, crossing my fingers for you.

Old 11-29-2019 | 11:18 PM
Matt Vandenboss
Default Having same issue with 15 R/T

I purchased a 2015 R/T in July with 54,000 miles and am having similar issues with my transmission... Usually the first shift from 1st to 2nd in the morning is a hard jolt. After it does it once, it is nice and smooth. I have also noticed if I use the paddles to go from 1st to 2nd, it is smooth as can be... Clearly a software issue... I have had to learn how to park in parking lots all over again with the lurch from 2nd to 1st, I will be just barely rolling forward about to stop and it will downshift to 1st and jump forward. I have almost hit the car parked in front of me a couple times because of this. One other thing that drives me crazy is if I have econ turned on, it shifts fine as I drive around town but MDS kicks in all the time and makes me crazy, but if I turn econ off, shifting is very inconsistent. Sometimes it will go through the gears quickly, other times it will rev way out before it shifts, even under light acceleration. I took it to the dealership with 58,000 miles on it to see about software updates before the powertrain warranty expired only to be told that because my car was originally sold in Canada, there is no factory powertrain in the US... What a bunch of nonsense! I paid $89 to have them do a quick learn and check for any updates. After having it all day, they returned it telling me there are no updates available for it... One other thing I have noticed that I am curious if anybody else has noticed... When I am driving slow, usually in a drive through or something when I have my window down, I hear a constant clicking as I coast, usually every 4-5 seconds... Makes me wonder if it is something engaging and disengaging with the awd... Of course the dealership couldn't replicate it, I took them for a drive and he said it could just be a brake pad moving around or something... Doesn't make any sense to me, but wondered if anybody else noticed it, or if you know what it is. I love the Durango but am very disappointed with the transmission software issues... Also beyond annoyed that Canada vehicles don't have any warranty on the US...

Old 12-08-2019 | 01:38 PM
NK.970

Hey guys, I own 2017 Dodge Durango R/T. I'm having same problems but only when driving on the highway for a while.... slowing down to stop hard shift from 5-4 and 2-1.... also if going at certain speed and in need to accelerate same issue with downshift from 5-4 with a hard bump like someone rear ended me.... also when start in the morning long first shift 1-2.... of course been at the dealer of course they can't replicate the issue.... at this point not sure what to do, do not want this transmission to fail when warranty expires ..... I've read the whole tread about flash updates, I guess it worth a try to go talk to the dealer and see what they say...
Anyone else still dealing with this???

Old 12-09-2019 | 11:49 PM
mnunes
Amateur

Originally Posted by NK.970
Hey guys, I own 2017 Dodge Durango R/T. I'm having same problems but only when driving on the highway for a while.... slowing down to stop hard shift from 5-4 and 2-1.... also if going at certain speed and in need to accelerate same issue with downshift from 5-4 with a hard bump like someone rear ended me.... also when start in the morning long first shift 1-2.... of course been at the dealer of course they can't replicate the issue.... at this point not sure what to do, do not want this transmission to fail when warranty expires ..... I've read the whole tread about flash updates, I guess it worth a try to go talk to the dealer and see what they say...
Anyone else still dealing with this???
I'm at 6 months/5000 miles since having the flash/relearn done and haven't had any problems since then. They may or may not want to inspect the transmission/fluid first to ensure that there's no mechanical damage either from the facotry or from having the harsh shifting. Sounds like you're still within the warranty period, so they should take care of this at no charge.

Old 12-15-2019 | 07:48 PM
Bryll5398

I bought my 2016 Durango r/t used a couple months ago with 48,000 miles on it. Got it home and drove it for a couple months and noticed a knock in the front end and the harsh down shifts from 2-1 every once in a while. Took it to the dealer last week and had the front end fixed ($600 on a new strut on a 50k mile suv is bs but it is what it is) since the Powertrain is still under warranty I had them check out the harsh down shift. Got the car back and they said everything is normal and they did a update flash. Now the downshifting is 1000 times worse not only is it in 2-1 now it is a clank and a harsh shift from 5-4. After reading all this makes me wonder “ why did I buy this car? Now I’m stuck with this p.o.s. for 5 years and who knows how much $ I will dump into this after this warranty is up” dodge should be ashamed of this problem and the way the dealerships are handling it!!! I have an appointment this week with the dealer we will see if they can fix it.

Quick Reply: Jolting on downshifting : 5>4 and 2>1