3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2017-18 Adaptive Cruise control in Stop and Go traffic

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 09:53 AM
Topplayer2g
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017-18 Adaptive Cruise control in Stop and Go traffic

First time poster, I am thinking about getting a 2017-18 Durango. I have a few questions about the ACC (adaptive cruise control) Does it work in stop and go? my commute is GARBAGE over an hour for 25 miles. I want to be able to push a button and basically just steer. How does it fair in stop and go for a half hour?

Old 08-02-2017, 09:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

All I can find is "Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop."..... Doesn't say anything about "go" again afterwards. Probably would be a good question for your local dodge dealership.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:16 AM
Topplayer2g

Originally Posted by HeyYou
All I can find is "Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop."..... Doesn't say anything about "go" again afterwards. Probably would be a good question for your local dodge dealership.
I have seen some offical MOPAR videos, saying it can be done but watch this and tell me what you think!

Old 08-03-2017, 09:20 AM
coldsteel
Captain

The original adaptive cruise could apply braking power, but would only slow you to 15 mph before deactivating with an alert tone.

The newer version with full stop will work to both slow and fully stop your vehicle in bumper to bumper traffic and will not deactivate.

When traffic moves, it will start moving. The problem with the ACC is the following distance presets (although proper) leave too much room and other cars have enough room to cut in.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:12 PM
roogie
Rookie

Originally Posted by Topplayer2g
First time poster, I am thinking about getting a 2017-18 Durango. I have a few questions about the ACC (adaptive cruise control) Does it work in stop and go? my commute is GARBAGE over an hour for 25 miles. I want to be able to push a button and basically just steer. How does it fair in stop and go for a half hour?
I would not recommend it, the sensors and computers are not designed to be an autopilot.

roog

Old 08-03-2017, 01:38 PM
Orin500XL
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coldsteel said: "The problem with the ACC is the following distance presets (although proper) leave too much room and other cars have enough room to cut in. "
That's the main reason I will never have ACC. I use cruise on the highways when I have options to change lanes, speed up, slow down etc. but to let the computer run everything goes against my control-freak personality, I guess.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:47 PM
wi-steve
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The other issue that I have with it in heavy stop and go traffic (in my 2015) is that unlike a human driver, it's watching distance. You as a driver see brake lights cascading towards you from a few cars ahead and adjust your speed in advance. The adaptive system does not, and at times the stopping is bit abrupt. The major problem with this is that drivers behind you can be caught off guard by the system's behavior. I have concerns that it could get you rear ended.

That said it is still a great system. I use it daily in my commute but traffic is usually moving pretty quickly.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:43 PM
mcfarl58
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wi-steve
The other issue that I have with it in heavy stop and go traffic (in my 2015) is that unlike a human driver, it's watching distance. You as a driver see brake lights cascading towards you from a few cars ahead and adjust your speed in advance. The adaptive system does not, and at times the stopping is bit abrupt. The major problem with this is that drivers behind you can be caught off guard by the system's behavior. I have concerns that it could get you rear ended.

That said it is still a great system. I use it daily in my commute but traffic is usually moving pretty quickly.
This is spot on accurate and my only complaint about the system. That said, aside from the abrupt freeway stoppages that you may encounter if there is a sudden backup, the system performs really well in 90% of all driving situations. Where it really shines is in construction zones and heavy traffic (when you're already in it, not when you're coming into it barreling down the road at 80 mph) where there's a lot of stop and go or slow then go then slow.

Old 09-09-2017, 02:07 PM
Alpine

Going to have to buy a Tesla if you want to fall asleep at the wheel for an hour