Old 12-05-2017, 10:47 AM
Prospect62
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A week into December...still nothing.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:00 PM
jimdurt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called FAC because mine went out yesterday and was told they will start shipping alternator in January 2018.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:39 PM
Prospect62
Professional

Originally Posted by jimdurt
I called FAC because mine went out yesterday and was told they will start shipping alternator in January 2018.
I'm sure that made you feel better about as much as it makes me feel better. Which is not at all.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,192 Likes on 2,945 Posts

So you get to make payments on a vehicle you can't drive until January?

Old 12-07-2017, 10:33 PM
jimdurt

Originally Posted by HeyYou
So you get to make payments on a vehicle you can't drive until January?
Well mine is paid for. But yeah I can't drive it anymore. Had the alternator replaced on my own dime but still not charging. It cranks and drives but will eventually throw battery light. Everything works. But still no charging when I test with voltmeter. Don't know how to check PCM or troubleshoot it. If it's fried, doubt I will be able to get them to pay for it.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:58 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Well mine is paid for. But yeah I can't drive it anymore. Had the alternator replaced on my own dime but still not charging. It cranks and drives but will eventually throw battery light. Everything works. But still no charging when I test with voltmeter. Don't know how to check PCM or troubleshoot it. If it's fried, doubt I will be able to get them to pay for it.
Doesn't hurt to try.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:36 AM
Prospect62
Professional

Don't know how to check PCM or troubleshoot it. If it's fried, doubt I will be able to get them to pay for it.
You might, others have. One guy even got them to pay for a rental I think. TIPM's and batteries too. Google Durango alternator or WK2 alternator and you'll come up with pages and pages of owner experiences with FCA and dealing with this issue. See my other post on this.

Old 12-08-2017, 12:41 PM
Ann Carter Bassham
Exclamation T36 Catastrophic failure of the entire electrical system

This is by far the most deadly design flaw ever. My Durango shutdown while driving,no warning no control over steering, no brake lights, no emergency flashers to warn others behind. It happened turning onto a main highway. A local fire chief seen what happened and used his vehicle and lights to block my truck that was dead in the travel lanes of the main road. The truck was wenched up on a roll back and taken to the dealership. Yes, it's the alternator and yes for $856.00 we are replacing it with another that will do the same thing because a fix hasn't been found. Today they called and advised me that it fried the computer so add another $425.00 to the cost and the battery is probably gone also. My truck is still in the shop I will get an update Monday. I've had alternators fail, no big deal; but this is more than an alternator. I drive into downtown Columbus Ohio, days and nights. This is putting my life in danger, everyone else's on the road with me. Essentially it becomes a big black brickwall in the middle of the road. I'm not sure what to do? I can't allow anyone in the truck with me because it's not safe. The recall does not even come close to the actual danger when everything fails.

Old 12-08-2017, 02:21 PM
Prospect62
Professional

Originally Posted by Ann Carter Bassham
This is by far the most deadly design flaw ever. My Durango shutdown while driving,no warning no control over steering, no brake lights, no emergency flashers to warn others behind. It happened turning onto a main highway. A local fire chief seen what happened and used his vehicle and lights to block my truck that was dead in the travel lanes of the main road. The truck was wenched up on a roll back and taken to the dealership. Yes, it's the alternator and yes for $856.00 we are replacing it with another that will do the same thing because a fix hasn't been found. Today they called and advised me that it fried the computer so add another $425.00 to the cost and the battery is probably gone also. My truck is still in the shop I will get an update Monday. I've had alternators fail, no big deal; but this is more than an alternator. I drive into downtown Columbus Ohio, days and nights. This is putting my life in danger, everyone else's on the road with me. Essentially it becomes a big black brickwall in the middle of the road. I'm not sure what to do? I can't allow anyone in the truck with me because it's not safe. The recall does not even come close to the actual danger when everything fails.
Welcome to the club. Thanks for posting your experience.

Old 12-08-2017, 02:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ann Carter Bassham
This is just stupid. There is a recall out for the alternators, but, because FCA doesn't have parts, they won't repair it under the recall?????? What kind of nonsense is that? I am REAL curious why the government hasn't gotten involved here, and taken them to task over this. It's friggin' outrageous.