3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

ABS/FCW/Traction Control/Park Sense Idiot lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2023, 01:53 PM
Kaldridge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS/FCW/Traction Control/Park Sense Idiot lights

2017 Citadel 5.7 AWD

I have the titles lights on and 0 OBD2 Codes. I do have the Right Rear ABS fault and Transfer Case fault. Hoping for an easy troubleshoot and fix I swapped the Rear Wheel Speed Sensors. Same faults. So it's not the sensor it's self there has to be a problem up the line.

Google has failed me for free stuff so does anyone have an ABS wiring diagram and/or schematic with color codes and locations of connectors?

edit: or just a fairly detailed description of where I can find things to chase down the faulty wiring before I end up replacing modules.

Cheers
Kris

Last edited by Kaldridge; 09-28-2023 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-01-2023, 09:42 AM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the forum. If the idiot lights are an, there SHOULD be diagnostic codes present from the appropriate module. Most hobbiest-grade scan tools will not access anything, or very few modules, other than the Powertrain Control Module. So unless your scan tool specifically says it can access the ABS module for your Durango, it's probably not reporting out the codes related to the lights you're seeing.

When you say you swapped the rear wheel speed sensors, do you mean you replaced them with new or you swapped them side-to-side?

It looks like I don't have access to Durango wiring diagrams newer than 2014 so I'm not sure if there are any free services for your 2017 diagrams.

-Rod

Old 10-02-2023, 01:10 PM
Kaldridge

To answer easiest first while I wait for codes to pull.

I swapped the old left and right speed sensor into the opposite sides to see if the right rear fault would transfer to left rear. Fault stayed at right rear so the speed sensor itself is not the issue.

I do not have any chuffing or grinding from the wheels and after 30ish miles of driving the hubs are not hot to the touch which should rule out the wheel bearing.

I am using an INNOVA 5610 to pull codes. OBD2 doesn't pull anything.

Codes I do have are:
PCM U1418 Implausible Right Wheel Distance Signal Recieved
TCM U1412-00 Implausible Vehicle Speed Signal Recieved (happens at park and while driving).
ABS C003A-1D Right Rear Wheel Speed Sensor - Circuit Current Out of Range
ABS U0403-00 Implausible Data Recieved From T-Case
ACC C2227-00 ABS Disabled ECU
RRM & AHBM U0415-00 Implausible Data Recieved from ABS

With everything relaying back to ABS and the major fault for the ABS being the speed sensor my troubleshooting is pointing towards a broken wire on the Right Rear Speed Sensor circuit. Unless I'm just completely wrong.

Any other opinions are greatly accepted. Especially of it prevents me from unwrapping a harness and visually inspecting every inch of 2 damned wires.

Cheers
Kris

Old 10-02-2023, 10:58 PM
SHO Rod
All Star

Okay, you were throwing me off when you said there were no OBD2 codes. Your scan tool pulled several On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) codes, just not anything related to the engine.

Does your Innova 5610 allow you to monitor the wheel speed and transfer case speed sensors in real time while sitting station and while moving? If so, have you tried that to see if the readings are stable or erratic?

-Rod

Old 10-03-2023, 11:02 AM
Kaldridge

Originally Posted by SHO Rod
Does your Innova 5610 allow you to monitor the wheel speed and transfer case speed sensors in real time while sitting station and while moving? If so, have you tried that to see if the readings are stable or erratic?

-Rod
I don't believe it has that function. I just purchased it to start figuring out what was wrong with the durango since my little orange OBD2 reader wasn't pulling anything. I'm still learning this one.

But if the readings are erratic what does that tell you? My mechanical experience is US Navy Engineman so big and small Propulsion diesels on water and Jerry rigging vehicles to run for ranch life.

Old 10-03-2023, 01:04 PM
Kaldridge

Realized I may be an idiot. Speed sensor needs some form of a pickup ring. Is it possible to snap the pickup ring without damaging the rest of the hub thus letting the hub and axle to spin without spinning the pickup?

Old 10-04-2023, 11:21 PM
SHO Rod
All Star

The tone ring is a ferrous metal. They can pretty easily crack, chip, and/or shatter. I don't think you'd get to a point where it failed to spin with the rest of the halfshaft or bearing assembly. I'm not sure which version your Durango uses. But that's the reason I was suggesting checking to see if the readings are stable or erratic. Erratic could suggest an issue with the tone ring. You may be able to inspect the tone ring for chips or cracks using a good light an an old toothbrush or other gentle brush so you can clean the ring well enough to inspect for cracks.

-Rod

Old 12-26-2023, 11:10 PM
Resolver
Default U Codes - Random Intermittent Module Issues

Originally Posted by Kaldridge
To answer easiest first while I wait for codes to pull.

I swapped the old left and right speed sensor into the opposite sides to see if the right rear fault would transfer to left rear. Fault stayed at right rear so the speed sensor itself is not the issue.

I do not have any chuffing or grinding from the wheels and after 30ish miles of driving the hubs are not hot to the touch which should rule out the wheel bearing.

I am using an INNOVA 5610 to pull codes. OBD2 doesn't pull anything.

Codes I do have are:
PCM U1418 Implausible Right Wheel Distance Signal Recieved
TCM U1412-00 Implausible Vehicle Speed Signal Recieved (happens at park and while driving).
ABS C003A-1D Right Rear Wheel Speed Sensor - Circuit Current Out of Range
ABS U0403-00 Implausible Data Recieved From T-Case
ACC C2227-00 ABS Disabled ECU
RRM & AHBM U0415-00 Implausible Data Recieved from ABS

With everything relaying back to ABS and the major fault for the ABS being the speed sensor my troubleshooting is pointing towards a broken wire on the Right Rear Speed Sensor circuit. Unless I'm just completely wrong.

Any other opinions are greatly accepted. Especially of it prevents me from unwrapping a harness and visually inspecting every inch of 2 damned wires.

Cheers
Kris
please see my response here and check this out and post back if it resolves your issue. I had all of these codes and many others. 2 years to resolve this once and for all ! Worth a try.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ml#post3579292

Quick Reply: ABS/FCW/Traction Control/Park Sense Idiot lights