Superchips Questions and Updates

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 10:49 PM
Fav40
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been running stock too. Ran a Diablo Predator for 3k miles and went back and forth between stock and tuned while taking my truck to the dealer for tranny clunking.

I got a "clunk" WOT 1st to 2nd now...and may not get the 1-2mpg gain but the claimed power didn't feel all that noticeable.

I wanted the SC but see the tuning ability comes with a price. Maybe some day I'll give it a shot

Old 04-12-2010, 07:22 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jarhead03
Is it possible to get a computer from an 04 and throw it in an o3????
I don't think you can do that. After 03 the computer was consolidated into one unit instead of seperate TCM and PCM like in the 03.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:13 AM
HemiHopper
Thumbs up Shift control

Hello all.

I own a 2005 1500 RAM, 5.7 Hemi, with an auto tranny. It has performed flawlessly since it was new, and my SC Cortex 3950 did improve performance and mileage both. I purchased and began using it around last ~August~ as I recall. I enjoy living in the southwestern Black Hills.

I have read most of the thousands of threads in this topic and have seen only one post that attempted to address traction control issues when driving on ice and snow.

Perhaps there just isn't anyone else driving a Hemi on the slick stuff, but I can tell you from an abundance of experience in my local, there are problems.

The trouble begins, when you select a gear. The throttle is so "punchy" on mine that it is nearly impossible to overcome the static inertia, without breaking traction. Then when the tranny shifts, unless you are very careful, it will break traction again. This has happened to me many times. Yes, I hate to run around in 4x4 "ALL" the time. Fuel cost is just too high to use it full time.

Programmable shift control via torque management will be the best thing since fine ground rock (that would be sand/dirt). We have plenty of that on the roads here in Wyoming for quite a time after the snow has gone. Luckily, salt is not a common ingredient in the most widely implemented formula used by the DOT here.

I am probably in a small minority that wishes (no, needs) to "de-tune" my RAM. At least in the white portion of our 6-7 winter months. The balance of the year, I enjoy the Hemi to the fullest.

One other area I would like to see addressed is the throttle itself. Perhgaps a less linear ramp rate in the FBW resistance pot would be G R E A T.
PLEASE let me know when this option is a post-beta reality.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:44 AM
05RamMan
Captain

cant see how that would be done. Why not just de-tune it?

Old 04-17-2010, 07:40 PM
ram man17
Captain

So to clear things up, once the new upgrade comes out, only 04-09 HEMI will be included? At first they said both engines for a 2004-2009 would come out at the same time...now seeing this "coupon" which is for Hemi users only, the only logical explanation for that would be that the upgrade will only be released for the Hemis???
Can Sill or Scott confirm this? Or HOPEFULLY deny it!!

Old 04-17-2010, 08:42 PM
MDSBigPaPa
Veteran

Originally Posted by ram man17
So to clear things up, once the new upgrade comes out, only 04-09 HEMI will be included? At first they said both engines for a 2004-2009 would come out at the same time...now seeing this "coupon" which is for Hemi users only, the only logical explanation for that would be that the upgrade will only be released for the Hemis???
Can Sill or Scott confirm this? Or HOPEFULLY deny it!!
04-08 Hemi's were always first on the docket. After that release came the 4.7 and '09 support.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:04 PM
ram man17
Captain

I am talking about the update that is coming out soon...The one will the fee, will this be Hemis and 4.7s? Or hemis now, 4.7 a little later?

Old 04-17-2010, 09:18 PM
MDSBigPaPa
Veteran

Originally Posted by HemiHopper
Hello all.

I own a 2005 1500 RAM, 5.7 Hemi, with an auto tranny. It has performed flawlessly since it was new, and my SC Cortex 3950 did improve performance and mileage both. I purchased and began using it around last ~August~ as I recall. I enjoy living in the southwestern Black Hills.

I have read most of the thousands of threads in this topic and have seen only one post that attempted to address traction control issues when driving on ice and snow.

Perhaps there just isn't anyone else driving a Hemi on the slick stuff, but I can tell you from an abundance of experience in my local, there are problems.

The trouble begins, when you select a gear. The throttle is so "punchy" on mine that it is nearly impossible to overcome the static inertia, without breaking traction. Then when the tranny shifts, unless you are very careful, it will break traction again. This has happened to me many times. Yes, I hate to run around in 4x4 "ALL" the time. Fuel cost is just too high to use it full time.

Programmable shift control via torque management will be the best thing since fine ground rock (that would be sand/dirt). We have plenty of that on the roads here in Wyoming for quite a time after the snow has gone. Luckily, salt is not a common ingredient in the most widely implemented formula used by the DOT here.

I am probably in a small minority that wishes (no, needs) to "de-tune" my RAM. At least in the white portion of our 6-7 winter months. The balance of the year, I enjoy the Hemi to the fullest.

One other area I would like to see addressed is the throttle itself. Perhgaps a less linear ramp rate in the FBW resistance pot would be G R E A T.
PLEASE let me know when this option is a post-beta reality.
I'm no mechanic so I don't think I can answer all of your questions but I can tell you that the trans option really helped my winter driving. I live in the snow-belt of lake affect snow off of Lake Erie and Lake Ontario so we have been know to get our share of the white stuff. One night in particular, we were hammered with 14" of the white heavy snow. I had to have my wife to work by 05:30 and the snow plows were still sleeping when we left home at 04:45.

Go to this link: http://www.mcfail.net/superchips/ and check out my shift schedule: Mark's_Shift_Schedule in the 07 year directory. Pay attention to how my 3Up-4Dn, 4Up-5Dn shifts are set. The closer together the two complimentary shifts are, the less throttle is required to down-shift. What happens is this: If the truck starts to slow on an upgrade, without applying additional throttle, it will down shift as needed. This will keep the rear wheel torque on an almost even keel and you can apply minimal throttle to maintain speed and NOT break loose. Then take a look at what the '05 guys have for their shift schedules -- These will be more compatible as far as TP% and Set points to your truck.

As for the "punchy" throttle, take a look at the Stock shift schedule and you'll see why it's so punchy. Opposed to what I explained above, the further apart the complimentary shifts are the greater the "lag" or additional throttle required to down shift.

We have several beta testers that get at least "some" snow; one beta tester is in Fairbanks, Alaska.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:07 PM
SilentRamAD
Veteran

So, after reading a few pages that I haven't been keeping up with. It seems the upgrade is around the corner so to say. It's for 04-08(09? don't care ^^) Hemi equipped Ram's and will be Free with a Coupon during a 72hr time frame (cool). And there after will be a fee (could care less what it is ^^) That's pretty much the recap I've come to understand.

Now on to many of us 4.7's minds is, When can we start Beta Testing I wouldn't even care if we didn't get a Free period to upgrade(though I'm sure others will, You know, opinions and all). I just want to upgrade and have a smooth shift schedule for DD'ing rather than having to stab at it to pass someone. Just my

Other than that, keep us posted

Thanks,

Kyle

Old 04-18-2010, 10:29 AM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kyle from what i understand the upgrades for our 4.7 should be out at the same time or shortly there after. so just join us all in hangin in there.....

Quick Reply: Superchips Questions and Updates