Superchips Questions and Updates

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 09:40 PM
Blacksport
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question for you superchips guru's...I have 20" wheels which are 32.99" in diameter. Do i set the tire size on the tuner to 33 or leave at 31.5 that it's set too? Shouldn't it be set to 33"? Or am I losing my mind?!?

Old 01-10-2013, 11:20 AM
Rich 2500
Veteran

The best way is to borrow a GPS unit and see witch setting is closer.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:04 PM
Got_Mitch
Professional

If you have the stock 20 inch rims, with the 275/60/20's then your tire dia is 32.99. On my super chips, for my vehicle, 33 should be stock value. Programmed from factory from what tires where on when it left factory,

So ive left it stock. But just to be sure find yourself a highway sign odometer test. and turn your SC tire size to 33, and see what happens

Old 01-14-2013, 10:17 PM
prican2000

Hello, I just purchased a Superchips for my 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 TRX4 CC with the 4.7 ltr, I read thru the SC Owners Manual and it does not specify this so I wanted to ask you guys since a search did not net me an answer: for the Performance Tune am I required to use a higher octane (I currently use 87)?? On my tuner it states just Performance it does not identify which Octance to use, so I am running the 87 Octane tune and wanted to know before I loaded the Performance tune and mess something up.

THANKS

Old 01-15-2013, 06:06 PM
Blacksport
Captain

Originally Posted by prican2000
Hello, I just purchased a Superchips for my 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 TRX4 CC with the 4.7 ltr, I read thru the SC Owners Manual and it does not specify this so I wanted to ask you guys since a search did not net me an answer: for the Performance Tune am I required to use a higher octane (I currently use 87)?? On my tuner it states just Performance it does not identify which Octance to use, so I am running the 87 Octane tune and wanted to know before I loaded the Performance tune and mess something up.

THANKS
I imagine you have the 3865 tuner? The menu shows 91 Tune, 87 Tune, Tow, XS mileage saver and stock. If you choose the 91 tune, you HAVE to use 91 octane or you will experience pinging. BTW, you should be using 89 octane always. Some members have had premature head failures from strictly using 87 octane. Not worth saving a couple of bucks for big $ on a head repair!

Old 01-22-2013, 07:59 PM
spyder666
Default superchips 3950

i hoping to get some help on 2 questions. i have an 04 1500 quad cab hemi and i got the sc 3950. i did the towing tune and then bought the trans tune. question 1: i tow my trailer, camper, and boat, but not all the time. i would say 75% of the time the truck is the family ride. the sc tech told me not to install the performance package and tow with it, so that is why i did the tow one. the truck shifts quicker, holds gear longer on hills, downshifts when slowing which seems to be using the gears to slow me down. Is all this ok for my daily driving unloaded or am i harming the tranny? How often can u tune? Should i be running performance for daily driving and tuning for tow before i go camping or taking the boat?
second question is something i have observed/ felt. sometimes after coasting down a hill and begining to accelerate i get "clang" in the rear. not real bad but the best way i can describe it is like nuetral dropping, getting the rpms up and putting it in gear. this has only began since tuning. sometimes i feel something similiar during shifting but i was guessing that was the hard shifting and different shift points. when i questioned the tech department of sc thinking i had done something wrong, they told me that it sounded like the torque convertor and their tuner had nothing to do with that. please help before something happens. All i ever hear about is how bad Dodge trans are, but i love my truck.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:09 PM
GatorGuy75
Amateur

Originally Posted by Blacksport
I imagine you have the 3865 tuner? The menu shows 91 Tune, 87 Tune, Tow, XS mileage saver and stock. If you choose the 91 tune, you HAVE to use 91 octane or you will experience pinging. BTW, you should be using 89 octane always. Some members have had premature head failures from strictly using 87 octane. Not worth saving a couple of bucks for big $ on a head repair!
Do you know of the signs if that head failure? Because mine has a soft ticking that sounds like its coming from the head but im not sure... Does anyone else have this? Or is mine just really messed up?

Old 02-07-2013, 08:56 AM
Blacksport
Captain

Originally Posted by GatorGuy75
Do you know of the signs if that head failure? Because mine has a soft ticking that sounds like its coming from the head but im not sure... Does anyone else have this? Or is mine just really messed up?
You have, my friend, like most of us have, is the famous "Hemi Tick" It's normal, and usually nothing to worry about. You could double check your exhaust manifold studs as well. Some members have experienced ticking because of broken studs.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:42 AM
ilducecorvo88
Professional
Default just bought a 3865, have ?'s

hey guys I just got my flashpaq today, installed the 87 tune (have 89 in the tank) and cut off MDS. I could tell the shifts are different, but I didn't notice any increase in power.

Does the 87 tune increase power over stock?

Tomorrow, I'm going to fill up with 93, reset the PCM, and install the Performance tune or Tow Tune (haven't decided which yet)

Is there anything else I should do?

I also plan on buying the Advanced Tranny Tuning thing, but I wanna get familiarized with the basics before attempting tranny adjustments...

FYI I have read all 3400+ posts in this thread but my brain hurts too much to go back and read through again. So I'm sorry if I'm repeating old questions.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:19 PM
redFOG

I have been searching this site for about an hour. lol.. haven't found this question answered.

I installed 91 PT and wanted to know... while in this mode, what happens when you select the steering column "TOW/HAUL" setting, while in the 91 PT from SC? Does this override the SC tune or vice versa? And if I change SC tune to tow/haul, to you still select the steering column tow/haul function as well?

THX

Quick Reply: Superchips Questions and Updates