Data Loggers

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 08:29 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to say, you must have something big up your sleeve to pull a sub 4 0-60

Old 04-22-2010, 10:47 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a really really big bottle...

Just kidding, I want to go N/A for as long as possible

Old 04-23-2010, 07:36 AM
Adam_MA
Rookie

So, I just had a really big bill to pay. Looks like my mod budget is going to have to be put on hold for a while. I'll have to start saving up again, so my next one will be a tuner. I still haven't done any runs since my CAI and TB install, so I'll have to get one of the baseline runs done.

So, after I get the baseline run with the new mods the way I got the other 2, I can start working on getting my launches down. I'm thinking 4wd, holding the brake hard, and getting the RPM's up to about stall speed then mashing it to the floor to see how it goes. Any thoughts on this method? What RPM should I try to hold it at? What other things are you guys doing to get your best launches?

Old 04-23-2010, 07:55 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by Adam_MA
I'm thinking 4wd, holding the brake hard, and getting the RPM's up to about stall speed then mashing it to the floor to see how it goes. Any thoughts on this method? What RPM should I try to hold it at? What other things are you guys doing to get your best launches?
My best launches come from the truck being in 4hi and the tow/haul being on. I then give it a little gas up to about 1200 rpm's while holding the brake (I have experimented with a lot of different numbers and 1200 is what my truck likes) and then just give it the gas. Sometimes it still spins giving it the full gas right away but most times I can get it to hook right away. Go out there and experiment and see what works best for you bc it seems like almost every truck reacts differently based on the mods it has.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:17 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Yep, 4x4 launches are more aggressive than the 2wd. I for one have my best time just rolling the throttle in from idle with no brake. (6.25) This is obviously not using the potential of the truck, but until traction increases it's the best I can do.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:37 AM
AF_HEMI
Champion

Teach and VA, you guys also have a nice mod list to add quite a bit of power. If all Adam has is a CAI and TB, he probaly will have enough traction in 2wd. 4x4 really slows the truck down honestly. Instead of the front wheels free-wheeling, the engine has to use a lot of extra power to turn them. Similar to your A/C clutch -- you get better mpgs with the A/C off because there isnt an extra load on the engine. The only reason 4x4 should be used is if you're really breaking loose bad. Even a little bit of slip in 2wd is better than 4x4.

As far as the launches, one of the most popular ways is letting the converter do a flash stall. This is performed by just holding the brake till you're ready to go, then let off the brake and mash the throttle. You'll see the rpms jump immediately to your stall speed (2300 if stock). The "rev it up then launch" was made popular by manual trannys to make sure the engine didnt stall out --they wanted the engine in the power band at launch. The flash stall with automatics does the same thing.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:24 AM
Maori
Professional

Did you see improvements with the caltracs once you got them adjusted and dialed in good? Got mine for the flip kit but have not put it in yet. Also have B&M truck megashifter going in and the Sharadon stage iii vb so hopefully that will help in better/smoother quicker MANUAL shifts.

Originally Posted by RedTruck-VA
Yep, 4x4 launches are more aggressive than the 2wd. I for one have my best time just rolling the throttle in from idle with no brake. (6.25) This is obviously not using the potential of the truck, but until traction increases it's the best I can do.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Adam_MA
Rookie

My mods include Magnaflow cat back, CAI and TB. The issue I have, is even though my 0-60 increased noticibly with just the cat back installed, if you look at the dyno chart from my before cat back to after, my truck just sat spinning with no forward motion for almost 2 seconds. This was a BIG difference than just stock. That being said I wanted both of my launches to be exactly the same so I could see the difference. All I did was remove my foot from the brake, and mash the gas to the floor when my app said to go. I know this is far from the best way to launch, but I wanted my baseline stock numbers and after each mod to be without human variance.

I'll have to just get out there, and do some testing trying it each way, and see what sort of data I can get.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:10 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Originally Posted by Maori
Did you see improvements with the caltracs once you got them adjusted and dialed in good? Got mine for the flip kit but have not put it in yet. Also have B&M truck megashifter going in and the Sharadon stage iii vb so hopefully that will help in better/smoother quicker MANUAL shifts.
Maori, The traction bars definitely do a good job. I had axle hop before and all of that is gone. Highly recommend you weld the axles with the flip kit to prevent any axle rotation.

Originally Posted by Adam_MA
My mods include Magnaflow cat back, CAI and TB. The issue I have, is even though my 0-60 increased noticibly with just the cat back installed, if you look at the dyno chart from my before cat back to after, my truck just sat spinning with no forward motion for almost 2 seconds. This was a BIG difference than just stock. That being said I wanted both of my launches to be exactly the same so I could see the difference. All I did was remove my foot from the brake, and mash the gas to the floor when my app said to go. I know this is far from the best way to launch, but I wanted my baseline stock numbers and after each mod to be without human variance.

I'll have to just get out there, and do some testing trying it each way, and see what sort of data I can get.
Yep, Practice to find out what works the best with your setup. It's all fun...

Old 04-23-2010, 12:12 PM
Maori
Professional

Awesome. Cant wait to put mine in. Had the perches welded right after putting in my 4/6 McG kit a few years ago.

Originally Posted by RedTruck-VA
Maori, The traction bars definitely do a good job. I had axle hop before and all of that is gone. Highly recommend you weld the axles with the flip kit to prevent any axle rotation.

Yep, Practice to find out what works the best with your setup. It's all fun...

Quick Reply: Data Loggers