3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

***Accident - Please look because I need your help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 01:49 AM
09W3500
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, it says "HEMI" on the OP's front fender (easier to read when the photo is enlarged).

File a complaint with NHTSA at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

This is a safety issue and should be investigated sooner rather than later.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:43 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope this doesn't become a widespread issue. It is scary to think that your truck could possibly take off at any time and you can't stop it.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:00 AM
pousaan
Professional

I know, tell me about it. This is why I am stuck undecided about what I want to do with my truck.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:29 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Usually I am against getting lawyers involved as a first option but I think this is a situation where a lawyer might be a good person to call right now. He could advise you about what your best next step would be.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:53 AM
pousaan
Professional

I am on hold with Chrysler customer service right now.............

Old 04-28-2009, 09:10 AM
pousaan
Professional

WTF!!!! All they said and did was make a report and give me a file #......what does that do for me???????????????????

Old 04-28-2009, 10:00 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Thats kinda scarey and I have had that happen on an old pickup (late 70's chevy) where the linkage to the carb got stuck open, however turning off the key will kill the engine. If it were to happen that the truck was going on its own that would be the first thing I would do, turn the key off...

Maybe it will be in the best interest to install a kill switch in plain sight when I go to install my cutout over the weekend just to be on the safe side

Old 04-28-2009, 10:34 AM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting that any time you hear something like this, it's the same thing: after the brakes don't stop the vehicle people just start steering their *** off. Shifting into neutral would instantly stop the acceleration and allow you to stop.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:39 PM
fourseven

Originally Posted by John M
Interesting that any time you hear something like this, it's the same thing: after the brakes don't stop the vehicle people just start steering their *** off. Shifting into neutral would instantly stop the acceleration and allow you to stop.
True, but I think one's first instinct is to jump on the brakes. It's only natural when driving: when we want to stop, we brake, we don't slam it into neutral.

Unless of course you're driving a manual. My panic stop ritual in my former Z3 5-speed was to bury the brakes, let the ABS do its thing, and bump it into neutral.

It is interesting that the two recent incidents have been HEMI equipped trucks. I wonder if it's not somehow related to the MDS goofing up.

My truck for work is an 08 HEMI (I work for Fastenal, we have over 2500 new Rams as our store vehicles). I certainly hope my truck doesn't floor it on me and cause me to plow through a customer's front door!!

In the other thread where the truck hit the boat.....did his airbags deploy? It doesn't look like it, and there certainly looks to be enough damage.

Edit - read the other thread, no airbag deployment in the Ram vs. Boat incident. Interesting.....

Old 04-28-2009, 07:41 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by fourseven
In the other thread where the truck hit the boat.....did his airbags deploy? It doesn't look like it, and there certainly looks to be enough damage.
If I recall correctly, I don't think they did.