3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

***Accident - Please look because I need your help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 09:00 PM
Hoss356
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did anyone catch the fast that they're both 07's? I can assume the 07's have different programming then the 06's and 08's because of the different options you have with tuners for that year. I can also assume that perhaps Chrysler knows something is wrong but if they don't they're definitely monitoring this very closely as most large companies hire people to search the internet and look for things that could damage the company's reputation in the public's eye. By monitoring I mean that I bet they're reading this thread...

Last edited by Hoss356; 04-28-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:04 PM
MADMAXIN22
Professional

i didnt read both threads, but are both of these trucks wireless throttle trucks. They supposidly have two sensors that read the TB reading and will kick it into limp mode if either sends a bad signal....

Old 04-28-2009, 09:17 PM
02Steve1990
Record Breaker

if that ever happend to me my first reaction would be to yank the key out of the ignition....hopefully

Old 04-28-2009, 09:56 PM
09W3500
Rookie

Originally Posted by 02Steve1990
if that ever happend to me my first reaction would be to yank the key out of the ignition....hopefully
Do that and you lock up your steering.

In the late 60s- early '70's, it was not uncommon to have the throttle cable break at wide open throttle on Ford products. Your first instinct is to hit the brakes (usually a good idea) and then turn off the engine (taking care to not lock the steering wheel). Shifting to neutral would serve the same purpose, but at the expense of overrevving your engine.

This is serious business and a complaint should be filed with NHTSA. The solution may be nothing more than a reflash, but any manufacturer would want to be sure there is a problem before they spend the time and money finding a solution.

Just a thought: Have you added an aftermarket computer chip? I know I'm reaching but...

Last edited by 09W3500; 04-28-2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:38 PM
Seanutz
Veteran

Sounds like an electric throttle problem... Im no mechanic but what little mechanical experience I have tells me I like mechanics over electronics any day of the week.

Glad you made it out safe...

Old 04-28-2009, 11:03 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 06 2500 Ram will do this at times, not to the same level where your going to crash into things with hardcore accleration, but my truck will will acclerate with no pedal pressure in 2nd gear, and 3rd gear, I have a manual, so its not really a safety issue for me, once I hit the gas pedal, it slows the truck down when its going faster than I want..

Old 04-29-2009, 06:35 AM
02Steve1990
Record Breaker

i will live with whatever happens to my truck in order to avoid taking people out if that thing goes out of control..it is a scary thought though

Old 04-29-2009, 07:47 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its damn scary to think that at any moment your truck could go out of control. I work at a school and don't know what I would do if that happened at work with 1800 kids running around.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:38 PM
pousaan
Professional

So, I went to the dealer here, and they told me they wouldn't be able to look at my vehicle for 2 weeks!!!!!!!! I don't have 2 weeks, i need this looked at right away.

I then went to a local newspaper and told them my story. They decided they wanted to run the story, so they called a Chrysler Canada rep. and informed them of the story. I won't get in to exact words, but he basically called me a liar and said that it was not possible. So that ticked me off a little bit.

The guy who wrote my story called me and told me about what the guy had said and that he wanted my telephone number. So i waited for a call yesterday, but no call.

Today I get a phone call from the chrysler rep telling me that they want to know what happened so they are going to send out their own inspector to inspect this truck.

What do you think???

Old 04-29-2009, 12:41 PM
pousaan
Professional

Where do I start.I was driving my wifes 2007 Dodge Nitro and it did the same thing to me in Sept 2008, I was on the highway and went to pass a car, when I accelerated, the Nitro took off like I floored it, as was not the case, and it wouldn't stop accelerating even when I took my foot off the pedal. I kicked that pedal about 10x till it stopped. after that i said what the F, I checked the floor mat and it was no where near the gas pedal. So I tried it again, and sure enough it did it again. It accelerated to over 90 mph and my foot wasn't even on the gas,cruise wasn't on either. We took it in for an oil change at the dealer and told them what had happened,I told them I think the throttle cable was sticking, they said it doesn't have one and said they'd check it out. After the service was done, they said no codes came up in the computer and nothing was wrong. I figured it may have been a fluke,no big deal, and told my wife what to do if it happened to her. Well, guess what, On Oct 21st, my wife was driving in a 30mph zone at 35mph coming upon an intersection, light was red and she hit the brake, the truck took off, wouldn't even stop, resulting in a rear end collision with another car, causing $3500 damage to the Nitro, she told me the engine had pegged and she did what she could to avoid the accident. Yeah yeah , I said the same thing, dumb bitch must of hit the gas pedal instead of the brake, nope, not the case, my wife is a super safe driver, thank god my 1 yr old son wasn't in the vehicle. Even the driver in the other car heard the engine revving super loud. So after the police come and wrote the report up, she stated that the Nitro had revved up, and the brakes would not work, my brother in law drove the nitro to our home. I asked him wasn't he worried about the car taking off on him, he said no. I said i preferred to have it towed, he drove it anyway. the next morning after dealing with the police and insurance co. we decided to take it the collision shop, After starting the Nitro up, I wanted to see if it would happen again,I tapped the pedal, It redlined in neutral,I shut it down,waited a few minutes and started it up again, tapped the gas pedal, , it red lined again. I shut it off, checked the floor mat, pulled it out(mat) and tried again, The nitro took off down my driveway, I kicked the pedal a few times and it stopped. Needless to say, I have no confidence in this vehicle. We got it to the collision shop, and told them to be careful.

We called the dealer where we bought it from, West Herr Dodge of WNY, they said that we'd have to put a claim in with head quarters. Claim is in and they said that there would have to be a neutral party to check the Event data recorder, if it shows what we said had happened that they would take care of everything.If not then its our problem. We have gotten nothing but the run around with these people, One person says this, one person says that. At 1st they said someone will be down in 5 to 10 days to look at it, now its when they can get to it. I have to pay for a rental car until they do this, which sucks, I am not made of money, It won't be a matter of time before the collision shop starts to charge us a storage fee. Even if this issue is resolved, I don't want this vehicle anymore, I have no cofidence in its safety, let alone have my child in that vehicle. I am pretty much rambling on here, but you get he point. I believe what happened to your wife is genuine, I'm sure Chrysler will do something when someone gets killed and the lawsuits start getting filed. Yeah you bet , I am pissed off, should of bought the Ford Escape instead.