3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

***Accident - Please look because I need your help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 01:00 PM
Seanutz
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow Im starting to love my caveman truck all over again...

I dont think ill be buying new anytime soon. Its not because of this specific incident but Id rather have something i can break own and look at and not have someone at a dealrship tell me theres nothing wrong when there obviously is...

This reminds me of Fight Club...

Old 04-29-2009, 01:49 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Getting a little confused here, so this has happened to your truck and your wifes Nitro? Same problem??

Old 04-29-2009, 01:54 PM
maalna2
Rookie

that is what I was thinking but I think maybe he found that on another site and posted that trying to show there is a problem dodge is not looking into.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:05 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Let this be a lesson to all. As stated earlier your first reaction is to hit the brakes. But if your vehicle is accellerating and you can not stop it just TURN IT OFF. You can slam it into N but that may cause the engine to blow, depending on what is going on. Keep in mind you will loose power brakes and steering so be prepared to us those features with muscle.

I had an accelerator stick once. It was a old restored car, not the fault of the manufacturer. The pedal was on the floor, two taps, still on floor, I killed it and stopped on the side of the road. On old things like this is easy, in this case a broken spring on the throttle linkage

Old 04-29-2009, 02:23 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pousaan
So, I went to the dealer here, and they told me they wouldn't be able to look at my vehicle for 2 weeks!!!!!!!! I don't have 2 weeks, i need this looked at right away.
I then went to a local newspaper and told them my story. They decided they wanted to run the story, so they called a Chrysler Canada rep. and informed them of the story. I won't get in to exact words, but he basically called me a liar and said that it was not possible. So that ticked me off a little bit.
The guy who wrote my story called me and told me about what the guy had said and that he wanted my telephone number. So i waited for a call yesterday, but no call.

Today I get a phone call from the chrysler rep telling me that they want to know what happened so they are going to send out their own inspector to inspect this truck.

What do you think???
The first thing I would do is get someone who is experienced with things like this to advise me. Chances are Chrysler is going to so anything they can to prove that you are at fault in this situation and the accident was not due to a malfunctioning vehicle. You need someone who knows your rights and what information needs to be documented in order to prove the fault lies in the vehicle and not with you.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:44 PM
02Steve1990
Record Breaker

the only problem is you may not have all that time to think about what to do..hit the brakes..if that doesn't work then turn the engine off. You could be 5 feet from a pole when it happens or you can be 20 feet. Action is faster than reaction and as i said before i would just grab the key and twist it to kill the engine because who knows someone can just freeze up in a situation like this and not even know what to do until their truck gets seriously wrecked and hurts/kills someone and/or themselves

Old 04-29-2009, 04:13 PM
Ridinhigh
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Th is happen to me and my friend in his toyota I said lets see this bad boy run and he floored it but then the pedal got stuck and he tried the brakes and we were coming to a red light down the center lane at like 50mph told him to ditch into a burger king parking lot lucky no oncoming traffic I threw it in neutral it jumped to redline and then we shut it off after finally coming to a stop and man can you say scary as **** we had to sit there for a second before we started it back up turns out his gas pedal got wedged between the mat on the floor and we had to pry it up and then it worked fine but you should have gone nuetral then off is the way to go when this happens to you

Old 04-29-2009, 05:18 PM
2005cobrakiller
Captain

i gotta be honest with you guys... Chrysler is really starting to **** me off. their customer service is lame as hell. Their financial department is lame as hell. On top of that I read this thread. Just imagine if someone would have been in that office. Or if someone would have been walking in the parking lot. I have been through 2 motors and 11 transmissions now. Granted sometimes a drive a bit radical but its not constant. Even with the tranny and engine failures at least its not dangerous but with something like this and its happened more then once. I am starting to think maybe Chrysler wants their company to fail... I am glad to hear you didnt get hurt along with anyone else... Let us now what the progress looks like with this throttle problem.... As far as turning the key.... thats real easy hind sight but uhh when ur accelerating full speed in a hemi there isnt much time to react...... Oh yeah and 7 power steering pumps.. but i gave up on that i just turn it with man power now

Old 04-29-2009, 05:55 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by 2005cobrakiller
i gotta be honest with you guys... Chrysler is really starting to **** me off. their customer service is lame as hell. Their financial department is lame as hell. On top of that I read this thread. Just imagine if someone would have been in that office. Or if someone would have been walking in the parking lot. I have been through 2 motors and 11 transmissions now. Granted sometimes a drive a bit radical but its not constant. Even with the tranny and engine failures at least its not dangerous but with something like this and its happened more then once. I am starting to think maybe Chrysler wants their company to fail... I am glad to hear you didnt get hurt along with anyone else... Let us now what the progress looks like with this throttle problem.... As far as turning the key.... thats real easy hind sight but uhh when ur accelerating full speed in a hemi there isnt much time to react...... Oh yeah and 7 power steering pumps.. but i gave up on that i just turn it with man power now

I dont want to thread jack, BUT HOLY SH*T!!! What the hell are you doing to that truck to go through 2 engines, 11 transmissions and 7 power steering pumps???

Old 04-29-2009, 07:01 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Please read my post. I did not say anything about his situation. I said learn from it. That way you are not reaching for the brake, go right to the key. You will likely still have to try the brakes to stop your motion anyhow, limit the speed first, shut it down, then stop. If you can not stop, like in this case the brakes did not work, at least you have minimized your speed before you hit something.

Learn from it...

1. Shut down
2. Try brakes
3. Try e-brake
4. Ditch if possibe and need be (by ditch I do not mean jump out, try to go off road or hit an object that will only endanger yourself) Sort of like Cobra's sig