3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

***Accident - Please look because I need your help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 08:44 AM
2005cobrakiller
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by truckin151
I dont want to thread jack, BUT HOLY SH*T!!! What the hell are you doing to that truck to go through 2 engines, 11 transmissions and 7 power steering pumps???
Dude if I knew that I wouldnt be having the problems I have.... I do my oil changes at 2600 instead of 3000.... the power steering pump is a lost damn cause, I have replaced the rack and pinon all the lines and the pump has been replaced 7 times I said screw it like i said I man muscle it.... Tranny is prolly my fault I stop on it through shift points constantly and the tranny just cant handle it... The engine blowing twice makes no sense however.... I dunno its under life time warranty.....

and rt 10 I know what you were trying to say... btw I love the 35th t/a I miss my 02 t/a badass car isnt it... hopeflly u have a 6 speed?

Old 04-30-2009, 11:13 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, it is a M6.... You should buy it. For you , today only, 15k.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:05 PM
UP_Boilermaker
Professional

You know, I love all the Monday-Morning-Quarterbacking going on in this thread.

According to the information the police retrieved from the comp, he had about 2 seconds to react to the situation. In a PANIC situation. That's not really time enough to even think of reaching for the key, let alone doing it. All these guys talking about, "MY first instinct would have been to (insert whateverthehell here)". BULLSH!T!!! Your FIRST instinct would be to do the same thing the OP did... To slam on the brakes & try not to hit anything.

I had something very similar happen to me about 10 years ago in an RX-7. The return spring broke just as I was taking off from a stop sign. Instant 8000 RPM (Wankel engine...) and instant marriage of front end with a homeowners tree. I had 2 seconds or less to even realize what was happening, let alone do anything about it.

Keep in mind guys, instinct is just that INSTINCT... not controlled thought. You don't have any idea just what YOUR instinct will be until it happens to you.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:12 PM
Hoss356
Captain

Originally Posted by UP_Boilermaker
You know, I love all the Monday-Morning-Quarterbacking going on in this thread.

According to the information the police retrieved from the comp, he had about 2 seconds to react to the situation. In a PANIC situation. That's not really time enough to even think of reaching for the key, let alone doing it. All these guys talking about, "MY first instinct would have been to (insert whateverthehell here)". BULLSH!T!!! Your FIRST instinct would be to do the same thing the OP did... To slam on the brakes & try not to hit anything.

I had something very similar happen to me about 10 years ago in an RX-7. The return spring broke just as I was taking off from a stop sign. Instant 8000 RPM (Wankel engine...) and instant marriage of front end with a homeowners tree. I had 2 seconds or less to even realize what was happening, let alone do anything about it.

Keep in mind guys, instinct is just that INSTINCT... not controlled thought. You don't have any idea just what YOUR instinct will be until it happens to you.
Are you naive enough to thing that in the last 100 years of the automobile mankind has developed driving instincts? How you react to any given situation is dependent upon how you've prepared and trained for that situation. The more prepared you are for a situation the more you will keep a cool head in that event and make the right choices. That being said, your whole post above is rubbish! Sorry for being blunt but all you did just now was try to rationalize your poor judgment/reactions because it happened to someone else too.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:12 PM
UP_Boilermaker
Professional

Originally Posted by Hoss356
Are you naive enough to thing that in the last 100 years of the automobile mankind has developed driving instincts? How you react to any given situation is dependent upon how you've prepared and trained for that situation. The more prepared you are for a situation the more you will keep a cool head in that event and make the right choices. That being said, your whole post above is rubbish! Sorry for being blunt but all you did just now was try to rationalize your poor judgment/reactions because it happened to someone else too.
Rubbish? You are correct in noting that reactions (instincts) are dependent upon prior training, judgment, and personal experiences. You are dead wrong in your appraisal of the situation.

Trying to rationalize my own poor judgment? Let me lay some facts on you, Jack.

1. I'm a professional driver with over 1 million accident free miles in commercial vehicles.

2. I have worked as a driver trainer for multiple companies throughout my career. I DO know and understand driving techniques for emergency situations.

3. In MY personal experience with a stuck throttle, the officer on scene reviewed the scene and the vehicle, and pronounced me completely not at fault. He noted, as I did above, that there was no possible way I could have reacted in time to avoid the collision w/ the tree.

4. Your assumptions and blatant attack on my post are EXACTLY the reason I posted what I did. The OP was in a predicament that did not allow him time to assess the situation, determine a course of action to alleviate the problem, and put it into action. All he had time to do was avoid hitting what he could, and stomp the brakes... exactly what any experienced driver would try to do given the circumstances.

The OP is documenting a legitimate problem that should concern any of us who own a similar vehicle, and the best some people here can manage to do is sit at their keyboard, and egotistically state what they would have done to completely avoid any damage to vehicle or property.

It makes me sick to see comments like that... Especially from people who most likely have little more than drivers training as a teenager and a few years of commuting to work as their "extensive" experience to draw from.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:00 AM
Hoss356
Captain

Originally Posted by UP_Boilermaker
blatant attack on my post
Just calling it the way I see it and you were talking out your butt. And I have not made any assumptions, I'm simply stating facts. I think I might have a little more experience with training for emergency situations than you. You assumed that with all your training that you can tell everyone on here is full of BS and that they'd react the same way. I'm simply saying how you react to a situation is dependent upon how you're prepared for it.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:32 AM
02Steve1990
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Hoss356
I'm simply saying how you react to a situation is dependent upon how you're prepared for it.

can be the difference between life and death right there

Old 05-01-2009, 11:26 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

in our dually as well as my dakota, there's been a few times I've had to do evasive action and panic stops.

About half the time, I've got the key off before the brakes have started working.

This definately sounds like it's the fly by wire going haywire. Ever since they started doing fly by wire vehicles, i've been criticistic that there always needs to be a backup plan. If not a throttle cable, at least a kill method like NASCAR has adopted that kills the engine at 3/4 brake travel.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:23 PM
sk425k
Professional

If we put our trucks in neutral isn't there an over-rev limiter limited to 4k? Butheck if it was to stiop or not i would throw it in N and no care waht happens in order to get fun use of my brakes.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:17 PM
MontanaRAM
Captain

Originally Posted by sk425k
If we put our trucks in neutral isn't there an over-rev limiter limited to 4k? Butheck if it was to stiop or not i would throw it in N and no care waht happens in order to get fun use of my brakes.

yeah, i noticed that the other day in mine, i revved it in neutral and it stopped at 4K.