3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

This is my last Ram, never again

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 05:35 PM
chris015
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It really is indeed. I'd be happy for it to hit 300k,by that time im sure I will find something else to enjoy as im sorta a truck-o-holic.

Im just worried on the c clips in the rear end (which i guess mine is fine,as trucks still rolling lol),and the trans.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:49 PM
Dead2Fall
Captain

107k on my 04' inherited from my little brother who passed away. He was a drinker. Truck was in 2 major wrecks. One blew off the entire front end. The other, truck was blasted from behind by someone doing 75 with no brakes while it was at a dead stop. Repaired, never any trouble with anything. **** my CV boot on my front driveshaft (not axle cv) is blown wide open and full of dirt and crap for the past maybe... 4-5 years and still no click, no problem, nothing and I'm AWD. The most trouble I have had is the damn hood posts squeaking no matter how i had them cranked. Solved with some adhesive backed foam. Wouldn't trade it for the world. Had an 88' GMC that the damn thing practically rusted apart before it hit 100k.

Last edited by Dead2Fall; 07-10-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:12 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry to hear about your lil brother. I lost mine too some years back so i know how it is.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:39 AM
sjetrider

Originally Posted by weedahoe
All dealers, sellers, manufactures, ect have theirs issues. My truck has been flawless while others have had issues with theirs. It is a moving mechanized machine that has wearable parts and WILL break down. Parts for these things come from all over the world and are MASS produced on an assembly line and for the lowest dollar possible.

Anyone thinking Ford is better than Dodge or Dodge better than Ford is only in denial. Dont think Toyota and Honda and everyone else out there is any different. They ALL have issues. Buy WHATEVER you want but I promise you you WILL spend money maintaining it, replacing parts and keeping it up.

Some days i go to McDonalds and their sweet tea is great. Sometimes I go and it tastes like crap. That doesnt mean I dont go to McDs anymore

Great analogy there, however, I have to beg to differ with you on the Honda part of the staement above. I sell stainless steel coil to auto stampers all over the southeast. I can tell you that Honda used better material with tighter tolerances than any other mfr, including Mercedes.
I can also speak from experience owning a few Hondas. Do they have thier issues? YES, but they are very minimal items and for a foreign vehicle REALLY CHEAP to maintain.
I boiught a 97 chevy truck new and put 120,000 miles on it then passed it to my daughter who drove it 4 years and I passed it to my son who has now driven it 3 years. The list of parts bolted to that truck is a mile long, the transmission, core motor (meaning shortblock) and the rear end are lasting WELL still with 210,000 miles on them but EVERYTHING from the radiator to the fuel pump has been replaced at least once and most things twice.
2002 Honda accord items replace in from 74,000 miles to 174,000 miles is a very short list. Tires, Battery, charged AC and a *** on the temp selector. So NO ONE can tell me a Chevy is equal to a Honda and before this 06 HEMI POS I thought Dodge had it figured with my 04 model but this 06 has me rethinking that unfortunately.
Ford, I have never owned one passed 100,000 miles but it was simular but not as bad as the Chevy as far as bolt on replacement parts go.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:58 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meh, I read your first two comments and got bored.

Have fun driving the F-150 with the Coyote 5.0L, as they seem to be having issues of their own.

Best of luck!

Old 07-13-2012, 11:36 PM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a crazy old thread! Anyways, I agree with most of you on the whole lemon thing. It happens get over it! And when it comes to stats and searching the forums on whats best and what isn't its kinda biased. You only hear from most of the guys that have issues, you won't regularly get people coming on and saying "yup my truck is still working good no issues!)

Now having been a previous 3rd gen owner I can say I never had an issue. I had a 07 1500 laramie. I drove it for just under 100k KMS (traded it in before the warranty expired ) The only fix I did was I drove on a 1800km camping trip/wedding and as soon as I pulled into the campground suddenly the truck got horribly loud. The exhaust had broke loose just past the cat. Paid 20 bucks at the local shop to get it tagged back on. THATS IT! Other then regular maintenance, new tires, and few aftermarket parts no issues.

Now I own a 2011 1500 sport, I can say that dodge has definitely stepped up their game. I have just over 30k kms now, and the only repair I have had to date was the deck had to be replaced because the usb stopped working. All covered under warranty of course. It took me a little while to find a good dealer that would actually do the repair and not say it was "my usb stick thats faulty) I mean I only have 30k kms on it, but the whole quality of the truck seems much better. The interior is much better designed, and quality is there. I found in the 07 some of the buttons and such seemed like a pretty low quality. Never had anything break, but I feel much more confident with this truck.
Powertrain is much better it seems too. Putting the 5 speed auto in with the hemi has really spiced this truck up. Even then, this truck still has lemons.
The talk around the 4th gen forums are the same kind of deal here. Guys refuse to keep going with dodge because of the issues that they are having. If you do some searches the 4th gens had an issue with the earlier 4th gens with the pinion nut coming loose and dropping the driveshaft. There was one guy who sold the truck to buy a ford (yes a ford) Later he realized he got a recall notice but never took the truck in. Now I hear he misses his Ram.

I come from a different point of view with my truck being covered on warranty so I don't have to worry. I do also realize that the 3rd gens are coming to that time where most of you are not covered under warranty anymore. So now all the fixes are out of your pocket. However be honest, would you rather have all the little issues or a few big issues. You can buy a lot of small little parts for the price of a motor or tranny, which in my time here on the forums I don't see much of. You just wait till the 4th gens are getting to be out of the warranty age, Ford is going to be in trouble with their trannys. IF you have not heard they are blowing them left right and center, not to mention their turbos are failing after 120k kms. I would much rather have my 4th gen Ram where so far all I have to worry about are pinion nuts, AC blower actuators failing. Some guys are having tranny problems lately, but most seem to just go into the dealer get it re-flashed and it works again.
Again this is still on new trucks, but if your in the state of mind of comparing your "lemon" to other makers. They have their issues too, and IMO they have worse issues then Ram does.

IF you don't like your 3rd gen, give a 4th a try! like I said Ram has stepped up its game, it still has issues but no one is perfect. Which is why I say it again, and I think someone else posted it too. You should be happy with your truck either way, yes it gets frustrating but its still your truck. You cant expect to buy anything and not having it fail (or parts) eventually. Sometimes it just happens sooner with some then others...

just my two cents...

Old 07-24-2012, 03:25 PM
sjetrider

Originally Posted by weedahoe
And when you think about it, 100k is a lot of miles. At the mileage you can be expecting things to go down and give issues. At 180K, youre good to still have an engine and trans
you cannot be serious bro. DO you know what these vehicles cost now days. 200,000 miles should be EXPECTED with minimal issues such as:
belts
brake pads and rotors
alternators
A/C pump repair or replace
tune ups and oil changes
and general wearing of things like window motors and door lock parts

but the under the dash and main drive train should be sound at 200,000 miles IMO

If your charging the same as Honda or Toyota you should meet or exceed their quality standards.

This A/C issue and a leaking freaking exhaust manifold and melted tail light circuit boards are things Dodge had plenty of time to address from 2002 to 2006 and they OPTED NOT TOO. They know they are issues and CHOSE to ignore them!!!!! But price a truck like mine new (NEAR $50,000) that my friend is POOR QUALITY that prevents me from coming back to them when I buy my next vehicle.
Chevy has the same issue only on different components such as intake mnfld gaskets, VERY POOR alternators to the point I put 3 on over 184,000 miles, thermostats and radiators are JUNK quality, the heater core at 134,000 miles.
But the engine and trans as a whole held up.

I had an 04 Dodge Ram that I can honestly say was awesome and the best NEW vehicle purchase I ever made, but this 06 with the "HEMI POS" and its slipping trans at 75,000 miles is quite the contrary.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:34 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Very serious. Just think about how many revolutions the engine has done/how many hours or actual usage is done at 100k+. In addition, each engine, trans, part, owner, maintenance and more are all different from one to another. At 80k I just replaced my entire front end meaning, upper control arms, lower ball joints, outer tie rods, sway bar links, wheel bearing hubs, rebuilt calipers, replaced pads, ect.

Not every ride out there will make it to 100k. Not all will make it to 200k and unfortunately, not all will make it even 50k. Were talking basically a big machine with MANY electrical and mechanical parts that WILL eventually fail.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:42 AM
sjetrider

I agree that there are alot of variables. Up north you have salt and rough roads that take their toll on vehicles. Down south you have heat. Some people use their trucks alot harder than others. But as the norm you should be able to pull within recomended weights and drive as a normal vehicle and acheive 200,000 miles with only the usual maintinence. If your off roading or dragging tractors and heavy equipment then you can expect a lesser average. (and maybe you should have bought the cummins and still expect 200,000 miles from it.
The amount of revolutions should be taken into account when it is built. If you dont know how to do this as a mfr. then simply pay to hier a Honda engineer.
just saying. it can be done and at 30,000$ it should be expected.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:47 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

I understand what youre saying but keep in mind, 4cyl generally always outlast a 8cyl and even growing up as a kid, i remember my dad telling me the same when I was looking for a car.

That leads me to believe its more than a Honda engineers ideas. It likely has more to do with physics due to more internal rotating mass and more mechanical parts moving.

IMO, more parts, more chance or fatigue, more chance of failure.