3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

This is my last Ram, never again

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 09:42 AM
HoustonHEMI
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry This is my last Ram, never again

Ok, I bought a new 2004 Ram HEMI and it was a great truck but after racking up 86,000 miles in less than two years I decided to trade it in on a new RAM in April of 2006. Now my 06 just turned 61,000 miles and I'm having all sorts of problems with it.

First the transmission went on the blink at 16,000 miles but luckily it was under warranty and Dodge covered the cost. Three weeks ago I noticed the air conditioner was making a muffling sound and the fan didn't seem to blow as hard. Two days later there was a loud bang and something got caught up in the fan motor. When I removed the fan I discovered the blender door had broken and fallen into the fan.

No big deal I thought, I'll get a new one at Dodge. So I gave the parts man the broken door and said, “ I need a new one of these”. He said, “No you don’t. You want one of these instead.” He then pulls out a big box which contained the entire plenum assembly, door, actuator, etc. I thought to myself this is going to cost a fortune. I asked "How much?" He said $25.00. I asked him was he sure and he said yes, he sells over a dozen of these a week. Come to find out its A KNOWN DEFECT WITH DODGE!

Here's the ticker, you know why the part is only $25.00? Because they hit you for over $800.00 for labor! The entire dash, steering column, a/c system has to be removed to gain access to this part which sits neatly behind the driver’s side airbag. To think Dodge knows this is a defect and won't cover the cost just burns me up.

Now if that's not enough now the engine is missing and idling rough and different frequencies. There's doesn't seem to be a pattern and so far no one can figure it out. I drop it off again tomorrow for more diagnosis. I wonder what this is going to cost me?

The a/c blows cold I just can't switch it from recirculate to fresh outside air so I'm leaving it as is. The engine I'm afraid is going to cost me big time. One more thing, the shocks are totally blown so there's another expense.

Bottom line is I have a 3 year old truck that I've always maintained according to the owner’s manual and everything seems to be falling apart. What a piece of crap! I never had even remotely this much trouble with any of my Chevy or Ford trucks.

Once I get this engine issue fixed I’m heading to the Ford dealership. Sorry Dodge, I gave you two tries and you blew it. Never again.

H.H.

Last edited by HoustonHEMI; 05-31-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:01 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

So do you think the issue is only with Dodge and not Ford or Chevy? All makes and models have thier own issues and some particular cars/trucks have more than the same. For instance, how many of us are clocking more age and mileage than you and never not once an issue. But to each thier own. Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:17 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, if you move to GM or Ford go GM, better of the two.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:20 AM
Ilovemytruck
Veteran

I have had alot of problems with my truck and I have a 2004 with about 69k. I purchased an added care upgrade when I purchased my truck; the plan cost about 1050. They have had to pay about 3k in parts and labor for all the stuff that has gone wrong. The only upside is I want to keep this truck for 20+ years and the more they replace now, the less in the near future for me to be boned out of or at least I hope so.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:25 AM
Cheeech
Banned

Trans going bad?...Yes, can happen with ANY vehicle.
The A/C blend door, common problem. The Dealer doesn't sell the part so they can "hit you over the head" on installation. it's a lengthy installation. No way around it. They prob make the part as cheap as possible because it's common issue and if it were more expensive, nobody would get it fixed!
Miss and idle rough... You say you have done normal maintenance??? Those plugs need to be changed every 30kmi or sooner from what I have read. They should have been changed twice already! This is a minor issue.
You aren't having that many problems. Plugs are normal maintenance. So the A/C problem you need to take care of and trans that was covered under warranty is gonna cause you to buy another make model. I think you'll be sadly upset and your expectations are gonna be a bit too high as other makes/models have similar issue's.

If you really want to get all bent outta shape, luckily you haven't had problems with your 9.25" differential losing the c'clips and causing disaster.

Last edited by Cheeech; 05-31-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:01 AM
HoustonHEMI
Professional

Originally Posted by Cheeech
Trans going bad?...Yes, can happen with ANY vehicle.
The A/C blend door, common problem. The Dealer doesn't sell the part so they can "hit you over the head" on installation. it's a lengthy installation. No way around it. They prob make the part as cheap as possible because it's common issue and if it were more expensive, nobody would get it fixed!
Miss and idle rough... You say you have done normal maintenance??? Those plugs need to be changed every 30kmi or sooner from what I have read. They should have been changed twice already! This is a minor issue.
You aren't having that many problems. Plugs are normal maintenance. So the A/C problem you need to take care of and trans that was covered under warranty is gonna cause you to buy another make model. I think you'll be sadly upset and your expectations are gonna be a bit too high as other makes/models have similar issue's.

If you really want to get all bent outta shape, luckily you haven't had problems with your 9.25" differential losing the c'clips and causing disaster.

Okay let’s take you take on the first issue. "The Dealer doesn't sell the part so they can "hit you over the head" on installation.

Correction, they do sell the part. I bought it from them. Now it's sitting on my toolbox in the garage. I just don't feel like ripping the entire dash assembly out at this time. One shouldn't have to do that on a three year old vehicle, at least not one that has any quality built into it.

You're second point, the plugs. Mine have been changed three times now and the technicians at Dodge, me, and another independent mechanic still have no clues. I sincerely hope you're right and it's only something minor but it's not the plugs.

You say you think my expectations are too high? I suppose expecting a vehicle to be dependable at three years old is asking too much, especially one costing over $30,000. I’ve owned many vehicles during my lifetime from different makes and models. None of them have giving me the issues this one has, at least not at three years old. I can understand things breaking on vehicles as they get older but not one this new. Perhaps I got a lemon but if that’s the case the Dodge should stand by their product and do what's right.

H.H.

Last edited by HoustonHEMI; 05-31-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:17 AM
BEAR
Record Breaker

You just got a bad one. There's at least one on every car lot, Brand new or used. Some of us are lucky and get the good ones and some of us are not. What ever you decide to go with I hope it works out for you.

Trending Topics

Old 05-31-2009, 01:15 PM
Rojhan
Veteran

Originally Posted by HoustonHEMI
Correction, they do sell the part. I bought it from them. Now it's sitting on my toolbox in the garage. I just don't feel like ripping the entire dash assembly out at this time. One shouldn't have to do that on a three year old vehicle, at least not one that has any quality built into it.
The design/engineering involved in replacing a part is independent of the failure of a part. If you remove the difficulty of removing/replacing, it's "just" a failed part.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:19 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 94rt10ohio
Well, if you move to GM or Ford go GM, better of the two.
You're kidding right??

Old 05-31-2009, 01:46 PM
HoustonHEMI
Professional

Originally Posted by Rojhan
The design/engineering involved in replacing a part is independent of the failure of a part. If you remove the difficulty of removing/replacing, it's "just" a failed part.
It doesn't matter if it's difficult or easy to change the part. It's still a failed part of which Dodge knows there's a problem and yet they refuse to recall the defect. That's where my beef is with them.

The parts guy and the mechanic told me I was lucky it lasted this long and the new part, well it's exactly the same so I can expect it to break again within three years or so. What a crock!

I should have kept the 04.

H.H.