3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

This is my last Ram, never again

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 10:01 PM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote=HoustonHEMI;1685911]Yea yea yea the Pinto, I remember them well. I actually drove one back in high school and college. Do you remember them White Knight ~chuckling~ or did you just read about them? I see you're 19 years old so must have read about it? In addition your "EVERY CAR COMPANY IN THE WORLD WILL DO THE EXACT SAME THING" holds little water. I've had Toyota, Chevy and Ford make good on defects in the past.

And who the hell puts only 10,000 miles on a vehicle in a year, you? If that's all then either you must leave your truck in the garage or you live in some Po-Dunk town where everything is within 5 miles of each other.

My last Chevy had over 200,000 miles before I traded it in on the 2004 RAM and it didn't have the issues my current 06 has.

You're obviously caught up in the "Dodge Hype" refusing to believe anything else could possibly be as good as Dodge. Well I've had Dodge, Chevy, Ford, and Toyota and judging from personal experience this 06 is the worst vehicle I've ever owned.

And one more thing, try going back and reading my thread in an unbiased state. You might be surprised to see where I stated my 04 RAM was a great truck. I wish I would have kept it. Dodge screwed up in 06.

I think your assumption that dodge screwed in 06 might be a little over the top. I have an 06 Hemi Ram with 105,000 miles and yes I had the blender door act up, and reached in and jerked it out and the ac worked better than ever. I changed my plugs once at 50,000 miles and I should have reinstalled them. They looked perfect, and the set in now has 55,000 miles and truck is running as good as ever. Sorry you've had issues, but not all of us with 06's are complaining I believe as stated that you got a bad one, but condemning all 06's for what has happened to yours is not a good representation of that model year

Old 11-24-2012, 01:38 AM
lonesoldier

I agree, that poor engineering seems to plague the industry however, a vehicle that needs no repair puts a mechanic out of work. Why not make an up-grade to the A/C unit that you purchased. Actual bearings and Titanium parts. Again you get what you put into it out. As to other manufacture of vehicles; look deep enough and you will see made in Japan, China, or some "Third World" country. GM's bail-out helped put 11 plants in China.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:50 AM
lonesoldier

Almost forgot, purchased an 07 3500, to keep Americans working. Am a D.V. ... My Dodge was imported from Mexico. Betrayal sums up my feelings on that aspect of my purchase. I did go for the last of the 5.9 Cummins motors and the 6 speed manual. Mechanically, the $400 A/C compressor and no A/C clutch, which is all I need, hurts. However the compressor replacement seems to be industry wide practice. If you get my compressor, it cold have you reaching for a blanket..!!! ;-)

Old 11-24-2012, 01:54 AM
lonesoldier

139,000 on my 3500. Fan control **** just started having to be tapped to actuate the blower motor. Still have all speeds.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:54 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

All cars suck these days. They are overpriced and have so many things that can go wrong bcause of inferior components not designed properly.
They are poorly designed because car makers keep changing model line-ups and dont spend enough man hours correcting the problem. Instead, they give face-lifts and/or re-badge until another major flaw arises and catches up with the publics attention.
Hondas are good, overpriced for what you get.
Toyotas just suck.
Ford is good, has it's problems.
GM has numerous problems and all their vehicles look like they are made of plastic.
Dodge is the worse offender for problems but has the best looks.

I'm a mechanic by trade and working on a vehicle is no issue for me so I dont care what the issue's are unless it's a poorly designed transmission like the CD4E Ford/Mazda had in the mid-late 90's. Complete Garbage.

I'm doing a headgasket on a Cadillac right now. It's a nototious problem for Northstar engines that GM ignored. Bought the car knowing I'd have to do it. Who cares, car will be solid once it's done.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:13 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Twinkie
Yep, I'll agree with that. Except for european cars, of course. You're not gonna find a lemon with a new porsche, audi, vw, bmw, or mercedes. But in europe, you have something called pride in craftsmanship. We don't have that in the u.s.a. Here, it's all about corporations taking the citizens for all their worth. U.S. car companies crank out plastic, **** heaps with all the bells and whistles knowing that these cars aren't worth 1/4 of what they charge us. And yes, 06 Rams are junk.
Oh yeah? Mini is was owned by BMW and sold to Germany. Every today they gave issues in the electric power steering motors. Ive got many threads bookmarked.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:11 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Huh? I don't understand what you just said.
You said Euro cars are better made and have better craftsmanship. Im letting you know they are no different as I (the wife actually) have one.

It is a Mini. Mini was owned by BMW. A Mini dealer is a BMW dealer who bought into the Mini franchise. Mini was eventually sold to the Germans but still maintained and sold as a BMW.

Mini's have many issues including the electric driven power steering motor where the carbon brushed inside the motor eventually wear down and the carbon dust blankets the electrical components shorting them out and causing the power steering to fail either by killing the motor altogether or by causing the motor to continue to run with the key off and kill the battery.

Replacement parts are about $500 for a new motor and the PS fluid is a special Pentosin CHF 11S fluid at about $30 a quart and everything on the entire can is all in German

Old 11-25-2012, 07:21 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, I'll agree with that. Except for european cars, of course. You're not gonna find a lemon with a new porsche, audi, vw, bmw, or mercedes. But in europe, you have something called pride in craftsmanship. We don't have that in the u.s.a. Here, it's all about corporations taking the citizens for all their worth. U.S. car companies crank out plastic, **** heaps with all the bells and whistles knowing that these cars aren't worth 1/4 of what they charge us. And yes, 06 Rams are junk.
Spend some time with a Mercedes tech - you'll learn they come in pretty much as crap. The dealer has to spend quite a number of hours getting them ready to sell. As for Porche, as a 914 owner if their car is a lemon or not.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:34 PM
III%
Rookie

My 98 Dakota has had just about everything replaced on it (I keep kidding myself) as something new seems to break every few months. Sometimes big, sometimes small. Still better than a truck payment. At 185,000 miles, the front tranny seal just let go, and my mechanic (X mechanic) says the radiator leaked into the tranny. You're always going to find type specific failures. I had a Chevelle SS that ate a transmission every six months. My buddies Tacoma somehow breaks the windshield EVERY winter, usually from the defroster on too high. When I used to work at my brother's tire/wheel store, we used to pit 33x12.50 R 16.5 tires on ten inch rims on GM trucks all the time. About one out of every ten trucks would have the tire scrape on the left front fender when the steering wheel was turned. after investigating, we found some of the 4x4 front ends were bolted in crooked from the factory. And anyone who owns an AK 47 knows that every once in a while you will get one that's just a POS! They call these "Vodka guns." You're going to find problematic models of everything. I'm sticking with my Dakota. I put it through hell and it always brings me back somehow.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:34 AM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran

Your 06 might be junk, but don't try to speak for all of us. I have one that hasn't had any major problems and very few minor ones, and now has 106,000 miles, and I plan on driving it another 100,000 miles, If you had a bad one I'm sorry, but don't lump all of them in with your bad luck