3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

HID kits

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 08:46 AM
explorer9950
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID kits

Hey all,

Who has ordered these HID kits from HIDextra? I am going to order a set for my headlights and fogs and plan on installing them myself, how hard is it to do this, I am not very handy when it comes to things like that but I want to save a few bucks on installation. I know they come with instructions but I want some of you alls opinion...

Old 11-25-2009, 08:48 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

do it. its easy.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:36 AM
explorer9950
Veteran

Have you put a set in?

Old 11-25-2009, 09:46 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I did a set for my fogs. I just ziptied the ballasts to the frame of the bumper because i only recieved One mounting bracket and mainly because it was just easier. The rest is plug'n'play, however, their website says they have "advanced' ballasts that won't flicker or set off lamp out lights. BS, they are a $60 or $55 this week HID kit. They are just like everyones else. Many guys have had flicker issue's for their headlamps so make sure they give you a relay harness. The relay harness is only needed for the headlights. Even that is easy to install, just follow the directions and you'll be fine, but don't forget to have them give you a harness because you will need it for your headlights. Fogs won't ever flicker as they are not part of the canbus system that is monitore by the computer. $110 for both sets is suyrely worth it.

Only thing I didn't like all that much is the fact they do not provide any alcohol wipes with the kit. They are super cheap and you should ALWAYS clean the bulbs before you install them or their life could be diminished. Never touch the glass tube.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:38 AM
explorer9950
Veteran

Dirty - what are your fog lights degree, what kelvin?

Old 11-25-2009, 11:16 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

yea, i installed them. just have zip ties ready and you'll be set. had some problems with flickering and lamp out, but figured out now. MAKE SURE YOU TELL THEM WHAT YEAR YOUR RAM IS! the 03-05 need capacitors, and the 06-up need the relay kit. PM hidextra (michelle) also and let her know your order number and what year truck and what you are using it for. I think they have worked out all the issues and get it right the first time around now.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:07 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Ive bought two sets of D2S kits. Definately cant go wrong for the price.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:10 PM
02dodgeram5.9
Professional

I will never buy a single HID kit from anybody except Twiggy..he has the best setup and best service available i think..i had a flickering issue with my hidextra set and so i talked to twiggy and he set me up with a kit and never had a problem what so ever..he is a great guy to talk to as well..just my opinion tho

Old 11-25-2009, 12:19 PM
05RamMan
Captain

I have a kit in a pair of projector housing. I have had nothing but goodluck with the HID Extra kit thus far. The support has been Super Top notch, Better than pretty much any other company I have dealt with in a long time. Michelle has answered Every question I have ever had (No matter how stupid the questiuon might have been.) Extremely fast, Acurate, And respectfully. Not to mention the value cant be beat. Infact I have been so happy with the headlight kit, I just bought a kit to put in my fogs. And will soon be buying another couple of kits to put in my car.

A friend of mine bought a kit from twiggy for his 06 ram 2500 and it flickered. However twiggy was very helpful and got the problem fixed quickly. However, When I told him what I paid for my kit versus what he paid for his and seeing the side by side comparison looking exactly same, same color and brightness. He Had a DOH! moment.

They are inexpensive, However, this is one of the companies where I think the value and quality is extremely good.

As far as wiping them off with alcohol wipes, I have never heard that, As far as I know sounds like a quick way to ruin your bulb since they come very protected and clean and a residule fibers or alcohol on the bulb can make quick work of them.

Last edited by 05RamMan; 11-25-2009 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:33 PM
02dodgeram5.9
Professional

I will say that Twiggy is more expensive compared to hidextra..but you get what you pay for..i guess i just had bad experience with hidextra..sent my lights back due to the flickering and that was over a month ago that they said that they recieved them and still havent got the refund back..my fogs i bought from there are still in my truck but every time i turn my fog lights on i loose all reception in my radio..turns to all static..so i just ordered a new fog kit from twiggy yest. and should fix the problem..but it just must be my luck..

Quick Reply: HID kits