3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

New drilled and slotted rotors + ceramic pads

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 05:25 PM
pjordan4477
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by 4.7Ram5.7Rango
Just like he argued with me about the theory that I'd get better mpg's going with lower gears to counter the bigger tires and small motor......

Um, lower gears (4.10) would make that smaller engine work harder to get up to speed. Granted at like 70MPH you should keep speed easier, but as far as more MPG's, I'm gonna agree with Dad.

Higher gears (3.55) would help...

I threw the numbers in there to demonstrate a lower gear as opposed to a lower number....for clarification.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dorian454
I see TheEricHarris asked for updates in his post several days ago.... Could someone who has had these brakemotive rotors&pads for more than 6 months chime in? I am very apprehensive buying them, the price is very cheap...
Anyone using the direct replacement Brembo set? They are not slotted&drilled, but come with a great reputation.
i've had mine on for 5 months and still going strong, actually avoided an accident, and i think if i had the oem brakes they would have faded. The car in front of me slammed on her brakes (for a stupid raccoon witch she still hit) doing 80 km/h (55 mp/h) and i was towing my car on a trailer without trailer brakes and i was able to slow the truck enough to get on the shoulder, man did she get a talk from me

just make sure you use brakemotive they are made and shipped from Detroit

Old 08-05-2010, 01:44 PM
PhotogTom
Veteran

Originally Posted by pjordan4477
Um, lower gears (4.10) would make that smaller engine work harder to get up to speed.
I think you'll have to explain that one a little better. Do you mean that the engine would work harder to get "up to speed" with 4.10 gears than with 3.55??

I don't think so - numerically higher gear ratios allow a greater multiplication of engine torque at the expense of higher RPM at a given speed. An identical truck with 4.10 gears vs one with 3.55 will accelerate a little more quickly and will get up to speed more easily.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Marx
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by PhotogTom
I think you'll have to explain that one a little better. Do you mean that the engine would work harder to get "up to speed" with 4.10 gears than with 3.55??

I don't think so - numerically higher gear ratios allow a greater multiplication of engine torque at the expense of higher RPM at a given speed. An identical truck with 4.10 gears vs one with 3.55 will accelerate a little more quickly and will get up to speed more easily.
i agree, but you also can't go up too high, 4.10 is a great ratio for out stock trucks

Old 08-05-2010, 04:13 PM
PhotogTom
Veteran

I agree - it could be silly to go to, say, a 4.56 ratio for a highway cruiser. But if you're hauling loads in hilly country, off-roading, or if you're turning big tires, you need gears with more grunt.

For me, 4.10's will probably be what I settle on. These 3.55's I have now are OK unloaded on the road, but I know I would be happier towing with more gear in the diffy(s). If I were going to 35+ inch tires, I would seriously consider 4.56's.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:59 PM
RamMN

has anyone with this set up seen ugly rusting with the drill and slots?

Old 10-23-2010, 04:31 PM
davb673
Veteran

Originally Posted by JMB3384
Well guys I got my rotors and pads today! I am happy to say I am 100% impressed so far of how much better my truck drives. It feels better than new to me! My original parts were worse than I thought. I went through all the steps after putting them on and WOW what a difference. No more shake and pulsating and brakes on a dime!

I cleaned up all the parts as needed and I was debating on doing a little painting but after a full day of work then doing this I said screw it! I just care how my truck drives. I do recommend doing this upgrade over the OEM parts as of right now. We will see how it works out long term soon enough.
Are the holes chamfered? It looked from the pictures that they were not. The only potential issue I see is cracking if they are just drilled straight through.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:39 PM
Marx
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by davb673
Are the holes chamfered? It looked from the pictures that they were not. The only potential issue I see is cracking if they are just drilled straight through.
Pretty sure they are

Old 10-24-2010, 01:08 AM
rocket23
Champion

Gotta wait on this mod.... I had mine oem replaced by the dealer as condition of sale. they are toast in 5ok (oem's) imo.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:17 AM
Marx
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by RamMN
has anyone with this set up seen ugly rusting with the drill and slots?
nope there zinc covered so they shouldn't rust

Quick Reply: New drilled and slotted rotors + ceramic pads