3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Tire issues, Brand new tire Flat already.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 08:38 PM
traker1001
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire issues, Brand new tire Flat already.

Not sure when or where I did it, But I managed to snag a rock or something on one of my Brand new Revo2 tires. Big ol crack in the sidewall now. I am now screwed as firestone won't honor any warranty due to abusive driving. However I'm not convinced that the crack should have happened normally and it worries me that the other three tires sidewalls might be week compared to other brands. Im considering returning the other 3 for my money back and going with some BFG's, which are the brand of the last tires I had on the truck. Those took some abuse.

Just not sure what I should do. Im actually pretty ticked at firestone, When they took my old tires off the rim they damaged the bead, Even though I told them I was keeping the tires. They told me they wouldn't do anything about it because it was "Old Rubber". So I can't even use the old tires until

Then to top off things, The tire guy tightened my lugs so tight that He warped the threads in three of them. Fortunately When I bought my wheels they sent me 5 extra lugs.

So what do you think, Does this look like it should of happened? The crack goes all the way thru the tire. Should I just suck it up and buy a new revo2 or return the other 3 swallow the $200 that will cost me and buy some BFG's?

Attached Thumbnails Tire issues, Brand new tire Flat already.-1.jpg  
Old 10-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Ice-Forever
All Star

How can they say it was "aggressive" driving? Did they sit down with you when you bought the tires and lay out an outline to differentiate BETWEEN "normal" driving and "aggressive" driving...?

This sounds like complete BS

Old 10-01-2010, 09:45 PM
CardinalsFan11
Professional

That really sucks. I hate when companies pull BS like that and put everything on the customer. When you drop a couple hundred bucks on tires you deserve to be treated fairly.

If I were you I'd go get your money back and go to Discount Tire. DT is a reliable place and while they have a much bigger selection of tires and rims than firestone would, they have better customer service. With my first car, I went there after the tires were on the car for about 2 months because I had a flat, and without any questioning they threw on another tire for free. No charge whatsoever. They even replaced my front two tires when I got in a car accident and the tires got destroyed (before I got my Ram!!).

Point being Discount Tire is the way to go. Bummer about your tires, but if customer service means anything I'd drop Firestone.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:24 PM
traker1001
Captain

To be fair, The guy I spoke to was right, I did snag something and didn't buy the stupid Roadhazard warranty. Of course It would have only saved me $14. I did file a BBB Complaint against them.

Snag or not I just can't believe the sidewall split like that. I really wish I knew what snagged that tire, I never went offroad with them, Not so much as a gravel driveway. I think I am going to get what money I can back and order a set of something with atleast a 4 ply sidewall. Fortunately, I just got my student loan refunds, So I do have a bit of cash on hand.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:31 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I would not have a tire that I did not have any confidence in. Why drive around worrying about if your tire sidewalls are gonna hold up?

As far as the Firestone dealer goes, I think damn near everyone tries to get out of honoring warranty to save the almighty dollar anymore. Sucks, but they probably aren't any worse than 80% of the tire shops out there.
I had similar problems with the last set of BFGs I ever bought, the things cupped like hell within 8k miles and the belts started separating inside the tires not long after 10k. Dealer kept blaming my truck but a swap to a set of Mickey Thompson tires was the ticket for me. Never had a single issue with them even though I never changed a thing on the truck except the tires.

Get what you can out of the tires you got and put you on a good set of A/T tires. One with a decent ply and sidewall rating. You can't spend too much for peace of mind and safety...

Old 10-02-2010, 12:33 PM
traker1001
Captain

Even the crack on the sidewall? I think what it was, My last tires, A set of BFG AT's Handled everything from Off roading on extremely rough terrain, To curb rashing to, even just the ordinary Missouri winters with not so much as a flat.

Then I get these and 12 days later the sidewall is cracked and there is a chip taken out of the tire from a rock or bump or something that I never even felt.

I just keep thinking that if it is that long till the first issue, How long before I have more issues with these crappily thin sidewalls. But then I keep reading of all these folks with tens of thousand of miles with no issues at all.

I have been doing research and I guess apparently the BFG's are a 3 ply sidewall with a compound that is supposed to resist that kind of stuff. I have read that the goodyear silent armors are supposed to to.

Although I leaning towards what you said hammer, Keeping these, Getting as much wear as I can and then buying some real truck tires. Although, I just wish I had done that in the first place, Damn I hate being broke. All that said, Even with the purchase of the 5th tire I only ended up paying around $700.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:02 PM
me0418840987
Veteran

I liked my revos. They went darn near 60.000 miles on the front of my 2wd. It sees a lot of new construction sites, but not much real off road terrain. Hell, I wrecked a 7.50-16 a while ago (10 ply bias) sidewall dumping crushed concrete at the gravel pit. Sometimes you just get lucky.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:05 PM
traker1001
Captain

Yeah, I think Im gonna keep them and look at it as a sh*t happens thing. Although Im still pretty ticked about the other crapped that happened there. They won't see my families or my business again. I do appreciate folks input though.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:07 PM
nussdawg395
Veteran

Thats total bull man. I'd be in there telling them exactly what i think and making just enough of a scene that anyone else around can clearly hear the BS they are pulling. IDK about you but i dont think i could let it be.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:03 PM
traker1001
Captain

Man I did raise a sh*t, We argued back and forth for about an hour and the general manager just wouldn't budge, Claimed the BS, "He could get fired if he did anything"
However, There is only so far I would be willing to go, As it does me no good to get hauled out of there by the cops. What really got me angry wasn't so much the tire, But them making the old tires useless by damaging them, And the potential damage they could of done by severe over torque.

Where I personally really screwed up was that I could have still bought the road hazard warranty for $112 had they not seen the tire. Then I could have come back the next day and had it replaced automatically for nothing more. However, I messed up.

For you folks in Springfield, stay away from firestone at 814 S Glenstone, The GM there "Roger" will NOT provide any good customer service.

Quick Reply: Tire issues, Brand new tire Flat already.