3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Hemi vs Cummins

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 08:08 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhotogTom
The longer the truck, the harder it is to maneuver in tight spaces. I'm afraid that I don't understand the 'leverage' thing. What do you mean?

The trailer he uses has electric brakes. I still have the controller. The truck has big disk brakes on all 4 wheels. Do they actually put different brakes on the 4-door and longbed trucks?
You will understand the leverage thing QUICK when you towing a trailer in high winds. The trailer is 25ft long and you have a truck that has a 18 ft wheel base. the trailer will make that sway like nothing is there. You can literally feel the front end being yanked around. The longer the truck the more leverage you have on the trailer.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:10 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I actually went to buy a new '04 CTD 4x4 when I ended up with my Hemi, as with all the rebates and discounts my Hemi which stickered for only $9k less, actually came out to $17k less than the diesel. Since I don't tourney bass fish anymore and have a daily driver, I only put about 8k miles a year on my truck, so for that kinda money difference, I just couldn't justify the CTD.

But I've had both and to a point I agree with you. Fuel economy is pretty much a wash, diesel costs more, but you'll enjoy better fuel economy. Tune-ups can cost 3x more, but you only have to do them a third of the time compared to a gasser, so that's a wash.

What gets you with a diesel is the cost if something breaks! My local dealer charges more than double just for the diagnostic check (I have no clue why, since they hook up the same damn machine!), and repairs are through the roof. I had an injector go in my Furd diesel and the stealership wanted $900 (yes that's NINE-HUNDRED DOLLARS!) to replace it. Luckily, I had/have a buddy who is a certified big rig mechanic who changed it out with me. If I don't know how to do something, I'd prefer to do it, but love it when I have a mentor over my shoulder, LOL.

Repairs are just STUPID high on a diesel. Some people just want one and can afford it and some people NEED a diesel, I just couldn't justify it...
Thats also IF something breaks, you can get a hemi that gets a a complete catastrophic failure and replace a whole engine or a diesel that never needs work. Its just depends but with the 5.9, they are pretty bullet proof.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:20 PM
PhotogTom
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see what you're getting at - yes, shorter wheelbase trucks are more prone to wind issues than long ones, especially at speed and with tall, long trailers.

My friend tows a flatbed trailer, sometimes with sideboards, sometimes without. His normal payload is his tractor with shovel and roto-tiller attached, along with a few accessories and tools. He uses the sideboards when he's hauling dirt or sod (though his new 550 takes care of that issue), and has been known to tow vehicles on the trailer as well. He hasn't experienced any serious wind-sway issues, though I would bet that if he were pulling a 25 foot travel trailer, it would be highly influenced by the wind, at least on the highway.

For his use, and for mine, the short wheelbase is better. He needed to maneuver the trailer around in tighter spaces to get close to the work at times. Me, I haven't gotten my trailer yet, but it'll be a flatbed also, with dual axles, brakes, and sideboards so that I can haul a couple of yards of dirt. Can't carry but about a yard of top soil in the bed due to the weight (2000-2500 pounds per cubic yard).

You may note that often, tractor-trailers that are driven primarily in urban areas have a much shorter tractor than over-the-road trucks because of the maneuverability issue.

Last edited by PhotogTom; 10-19-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:32 PM
rr-merlin

All great info guys thanks a lot that really helps. I didnt know about the crappy tansmisions in the early diesels.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:29 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rr-merlin
All great info guys thanks a lot that really helps. I didnt know about the crappy tansmisions in the early diesels.

The ONLY difference between the 47RE and the 48RE is that the 47 used an aluminum planetary and they went to a steel one in the 48. A mildly built 47 will outperform a stock 48, so if you decide on a diesel and can find a cherry 5.9 with a 47RE in it, I wouldn't turn away...

Old 10-19-2010, 11:04 PM
ZmanTRX4
Professional

I've owned 2 cummins (06 and 07 both with 6 spds) and a couple of powerjokes 01, 03 and 08. If you plan to tow that trailer every weekend and long distances get the cummins. If you plan to tow it once or twice a month, stick with the hemi. The CTD's that i've had were awsome, tons of power and such but the cost of owning is very high compared to the half ton I have now. Oil changes are 60 bucks plus but that's just the begining. The fuel filter and air filter needs to be changed every other oil change and the cost for replacement parts is rediculous. Not to mention the diesels are rediculously expensive to purchase even use because every body and their brother "needs one" to pull their sweet lawn mower or atv around town. Hands down the cummins is cool, but unless you use it day in and day out to tow heavy loads it's not worth it. It's also very hard on diesel to just run around town every day. They are made to get out on the road and get the temps up. Not to mention winters suck in a diesel, even with the plug. Take 10-15 mintues of straight highway driving to even feel some heat. Choice is yours but I've owned quite a few diesel and now i'm in a hemi.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:50 AM
Khaki_D

I have owned 1 '99 powerjoke, one '04 600 cummins, and now my hemi. I put over 200k on both diesels and now 25K on my hemi. I tow a 8500# dry wieght fifth wheel travel trailer about 500 miles, on average, each month without issue. The diesels are awesome tow vehicles, no doubt, but you can buy a lot of gas for $6K price difference. When I actually put a pen and paper to the ROI I couldn't justify the cost difference for how little I tow. I average 18 miles/gal normal driving, and 9 mpg towing with my '09 hemi. The only improvement that I need/want to make is to change the gears from 3.73s to 4.56.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:37 AM
bamataco
Veteran

Originally Posted by ZmanTRX4
I've owned 2 cummins (06 and 07 both with 6 spds) and a couple of powerjokes 01, 03 and 08. If you plan to tow that trailer every weekend and long distances get the cummins. If you plan to tow it once or twice a month, stick with the hemi. The CTD's that i've had were awsome, tons of power and such but the cost of owning is very high compared to the half ton I have now. Oil changes are 60 bucks plus but that's just the begining. The fuel filter and air filter needs to be changed every other oil change and the cost for replacement parts is rediculous. Not to mention the diesels are rediculously expensive to purchase even use because every body and their brother "needs one" to pull their sweet lawn mower or atv around town. Hands down the cummins is cool, but unless you use it day in and day out to tow heavy loads it's not worth it. It's also very hard on diesel to just run around town every day. They are made to get out on the road and get the temps up. Not to mention winters suck in a diesel, even with the plug. Take 10-15 mintues of straight highway driving to even feel some heat. Choice is yours but I've owned quite a few diesel and now i'm in a hemi.
I agree 100%. My last truck was an 06 Regular cab with a Cummins and auto tranny. I towed with in almost every day. I used to repo. But after I sold the buisness but not the equipment. It was just to expensive for an every day driver that didn't tow all the time.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:13 AM
bartvandenberg
Professional

Diesel - 500,00km no problem. You cant kill the engines.

I'd love to see a hemi hit that and still run fine.

longevity --> Diesel FTW

Old 10-21-2010, 08:25 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Khaki_D
I have owned 1 '99 powerjoke, one '04 600 cummins, and now my hemi. I put over 200k on both diesels and now 25K on my hemi. I tow a 8500# dry wieght fifth wheel travel trailer about 500 miles, on average, each month without issue. The diesels are awesome tow vehicles, no doubt, but you can buy a lot of gas for $6K price difference. When I actually put a pen and paper to the ROI I couldn't justify the cost difference for how little I tow. I average 18 miles/gal normal driving, and 9 mpg towing with my '09 hemi. The only improvement that I need/want to make is to change the gears from 3.73s to 4.56.
If it was only $6k when I bought, or even the $9k that was the difference in sticker prices, I'd be driving a CTD instead. When I shopped for new trucks it was $17,000 difference!!!

Only a $9k difference sticker to sticker, but three different dealers wouldn't budge on sticker (hell one wouldn't even budge on the "$2500 Adjusted Market Value" after sticker, sticker!
So $9k difference to start, take $3000 rebate on the 1500 series off, now I'm at $12,000 difference. Take $1500 rebate off for financing through Chrysler (CTDs not eligible for rebate), now I'm talking $13,500 difference! Take another $3500 the dealer "knocked off" in the haggling process and we are talking my Hemi 1500 4x4 loaded Laramie was $17,000 cheaper than a SLT CTD 4x4!!!

No way in hell I could justify $17,000 unless I just absolutely NEEDED a diesel...

Quick Reply: Hemi vs Cummins