3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

tailgate endcap

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 02:29 AM
BigTXRam
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tailgate endcap

I am wanting to put my toneau cover on my truck but cant with the tail/cap on the tailgate. Now if I take it off there will be 4 open holes in the back of the tailgate. Does dodge make something to plug those or is there anything you guys have used to do that?

Old 11-07-2010, 01:41 PM
03MopaRamman
Captain

You can Buy aftermarket black plastic or diamond plate end caps that are thin where it sits on top. thats too bad your Tonneau doesn't conform. I'm sure they make covers that are compatable. I don't have one of those never tail rigs but IMO if I had one it would have to stay. Good Luck.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:06 PM
BigTXRam
Professional

its not the piece that im worried about keeping, and ive already got the toneau cover and dont really want to have to try to sell it and buy another one that will work with that little cap still on there. The cap its self is also not the problem, i could care less if its on there or not, but the open holes that will be there after i remove it are my concern. Is there something made that will cover those when i remove the cap? If so what are they, if not does anyone know of something that can be used short of having it filled and painted?

Old 11-07-2010, 06:51 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen a couple caps that fit the new tailagates. I don't like how they looked. Seems all the new trucks have them.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:01 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Tractor supply has the tailgate caps in both diamond plate and polished aluminum for around $60. The polished is pretty flat, should work for you...

Old 11-07-2010, 07:12 PM
03MopaRamman
Captain

Only other thing I would try if it was me is install either stainless steel washers and proper size M-bolts in those holes (if M-bolts is how its fastened) either with Allen, Phillips, or even countersunk with countersunk cap washers (but those could scratch the paint but would look best) alternately pre-painted steel or alloy fasteners using colour match and installed carefully I.E masking tape on the tool/screwdriver.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:47 AM
BigTXRam
Professional

I think I might have been confusing with what I posted. On the 08 (and probably 07s as well) they have the cap that protrudes like 5 inches on the top and wont fit the regular toneau covers. Red i dont like the way the new ones look either, hence wanting to use the one I already have. Im not looking at replacing the cap, just taking it off and filling the 4 holes that will be left in the tailgate. If theres like a little plastic piece that dodge has, or is made for a dif reason that I could just stick in there to keep in there to keep it close and help keep the paint from comming off is all im looking for. I didnt know if anyone had done this before and had the same problem and what solutions they had found. I might just spend a few hours at lowes or something and see if theres maybe something that would work. I appriciate it guys

Old 11-08-2010, 01:10 AM
KY BIGRAM
Veteran

Not sure if this works for your truck but I trimmed the top plastic off the tailgate protector and the front of the bed. I haven't paid much attention to the newr trucks.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:00 PM
BigTXRam
Professional

well after messing with that damn thing all morning I think Im just going to sell it. The tailgate cap screw holes are big square ones that have a piece wedged in there to accept the screw. Even if Im able to find something big enough to cover the holes I think its going to look like crap. Plus Im going to have to cut big chunks out of the bedliner to get the rear braces to fit and I thinks its just goign to be more trouble then whats its goign to be worth. Thanks for the help anyways guys

Old 11-11-2010, 03:05 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

answer to your question, Bushwacker tail gate cap. i have it, and love it. it will cover the holes, and allow you to use the tonneau.

Name:  IMG_1007.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  99.4 KB

Quick Reply: tailgate endcap