3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Max Tire Size with 2.5"F 1.5"R Leveling Kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 06:12 PM
g-Dog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Max Tire Size with 2.5"F 1.5"R Leveling Kit

Hi guys. Newb here on the forum so I'm sure this question has been asked before. I have a 2007 1500 4X4 Quad with the stock 20" Bighorn wheels. I need new tires so I'm looking to upgrade everything. I bought a Rough Country 2.5" leveling kit with the optional 1.5" rear lift (I don't want my a$$ dragging while towing my boat). I also found some NOS Dick Cepek 17x9 DC-1's that I just bought...and now I'm looking for tires. I've pretty much settled on the DC Fun Country II Radials...but I don't know what size to go with. 33x12.5R17 or 35x12.5R17. Please Help!!! i don't want the "stuffed" look, but I also don't want the tire to look too small. Does anyone have this similar setup with pics? Thanks in advance.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:02 PM
Slava
Veteran

Take a look at FAQ section: "Tires and fitment".

Old 12-07-2010, 10:47 PM
The Cank
Professional

I am getting 35x12.5x20. I think it will look good.; sorry, no pics yet

Old 12-08-2010, 07:17 PM
rlfa83

Hell, Im running 315/70R17 BFG A/T's - stock rims - with the stock torsion bars cranked level...No rubbing - an it doesnt look "stuffed". With a trailer and 300 bales of Hay it sit's real low in the rear - but I plan to fix that with a Hellwig overload kit - or a custom long-leaf add-a-leaf

Old 12-08-2010, 09:05 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Definately check the FAQ section located HERE. Also go through the Search function as you'll get lots of threads that talk about this/that for level/tires..etc it's a common topic.
Stock 20" tires are 33", so you'll want to go up to a 35".
Also, a 2.5" spacer lift is asking alot from the from cv shafts and puts them at a really harsh angle. You may or may not get 4wd shudder/vibrations with a spacer level of 2.5". All trucks are different, but it's teetering on that breaking point of vibration issue's. One option is to get yourself a Bilstein Lift struts(~$250) which are leveling struts all in one, or the Rancho Quicklifts(~$350). Both are struts with lifts all in one and are height adjustable to your liking, although i think the Bilsteins max out at 2" where as the Rancho's offer 2.5"??
Spacer lifts top out the stock struts and limit travel and wear them down pretty fast. They run the struts out of their "driving range". So, longer stuts should be used. This makes spacers pointless as the Bilstiens and Rancho's are all-in-one design.
Just some faq's for ya before you get too involved.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:54 AM
The Cank
Professional

Wish they madethe bilstein or ranchero combo for my year...

Old 12-09-2010, 08:07 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to the board.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:46 PM
g-Dog

Thanks for the info guys. I think since I've already purchased the Rough Country kit I'll install it and see what happen with regards to the vibration issue. I'm still not to sure about the tire issue. It seams that with 35's some people have rubbing problems...and some don't. I'm thinking it's a backspacing/tire width issue. The stock wheel backspacing is 5.75"? My new wheels are 4.5" and the tires are 12.5" wide(compared to 11" for the stock). So if my math is correct the new tires should stick out approx. 2" more than stock...and the back side of the tire should be .5" farther away from the control arms. Does this sound about right? So I'm thinking if I go with the 35's I shouldn't have and rubbing problems...or mabye I will...hell, I don't know.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:25 PM
The Cank
Professional

Originally Posted by g-Dog
Thanks for the info guys. I think since I've already purchased the Rough Country kit I'll install it and see what happen with regards to the vibration issue. I'm still not to sure about the tire issue. It seams that with 35's some people have rubbing problems...and some don't. I'm thinking it's a backspacing/tire width issue. The stock wheel backspacing is 5.75"? My new wheels are 4.5" and the tires are 12.5" wide(compared to 11" for the stock). So if my math is correct the new tires should stick out approx. 2" more than stock...and the back side of the tire should be .5" farther away from the control arms. Does this sound about right? So I'm thinking if I go with the 35's I shouldn't have and rubbing problems...or mabye I will...hell, I don't know.

LoL.... I'm going through the same thing right now

Old 02-10-2011, 09:38 PM
badmpr1

I just put a 2.5" Top Gun Customz leveling kit on an 08 Sport 4x4. Tomorrow, we are putting on 35x12.50x20 ProComp Xtreme MT's on 20x9 XD Hoss wheels tomorrow. I will let you know if they clear or not as soon as I find out!

Quick Reply: Max Tire Size with 2.5"F 1.5"R Leveling Kit