3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Muffler Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 12:43 PM
T-Muns
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Muffler Recommendation

I know there are a ton of muffler threads, but I couldn't seem to find what I'm looking for. Almost through the hemi swap from 4.7. I have the pacesetter LTs and Y pipe for the hemi. I'm planning to exit in front of the rear passenger tire like I had before.

I had a cherry bomb on there before and it sounded great. I'm just thinking LTs and 3inch (offroad) Y pipe is going to be loud as hell. I like loud but the wife and neighbors probably won't. I'm thinking I should go with a regular muffler vs glasspack.

Any suggestions for a muffler (single 3" IN/OUT) that is relatively quiet at idle/low rpm that sounds decent? I don't care if it's super loud when I romp on it.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:29 PM
ramjamhemi
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T-Muns
Any suggestions for a muffler (single 3" IN/OUT) that is relatively quiet at idle/low rpm that sounds decent?
AeroTurbine AT3030. If you are going to loose the resonators, I would suggest getting the AT3030Xl that has an integral resonator. Otherwise, you may not like the droning.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:16 PM
Razorhawg
Veteran

flowmaster 70 series is pretty quiet at idle.. and im not sure what muffler was on the daytonas but they were quiet at idle until you stepped on it i read somewhere that it was a borla

Old 01-10-2011, 02:45 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you checked THIS thread out? I have and personally love the sound of Magnaflows, not to mention they use stainless bodies that last a long time.
I think Aeroturbine's will be a little bit loud for what your looking for. Don't go with bullet style mufflers. Get oval bodied one's.
Any chambered muffler such as Flowmaster..etc tend to drone a bit.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:46 PM
SLT8
Record Breaker

Dynomax Superturbo has good cfm flow while the tone is slightly above stock through the rpms.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:48 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If you are going to do side exit then you may want to make sure it is after the tire and not before or you could eventually discolor the rim(s)

Old 01-10-2011, 04:06 PM
T-Muns
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ramjamhemi
AeroTurbine AT3030. If you are going to loose the resonators, I would suggest getting the AT3030Xl that has an integral resonator. Otherwise, you may not like the droning.
Yeah, no resonators. Saw some vids of Rams with AT3030 and I think they sound great. AT3030Xl might be a little pricey right now though.

Originally Posted by weedahoe
If you are going to do side exit then you may want to make sure it is after the tire and not before or you could eventually discolor the rim(s)
I'll keep that in mind, thanks

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Have you checked THIS thread out? I have and personally love the sound of Magnaflows, not to mention they use stainless bodies that last a long time.
I think Aeroturbine's will be a little bit loud for what your looking for. Don't go with bullet style mufflers. Get oval bodied one's.
Any chambered muffler such as Flowmaster..etc tend to drone a bit.
Yeah, I saw that thread. Good info, but I was hoping to see some talk with the same setup (hemi, pacesetter LTs and Y pipe, no cats, single 3"). Seems like a lot of people like magnaflows and I would like to do stainless. I'll look into some oval magnaflows.

For now, I think I might just rig up my old thrush glasspack to get an idea of how loud it is going be. It was only a month old when my 4.7 kicked the bucket.

Thanks a lot guys. I'll let you know what I end up with when the engine install is complete.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:06 PM
SLT8
Record Breaker

I ran the AT3030 w/ no cats and it sounded like a fart can through low-mid rpms. Exit was at the stock location with no tip so that may or may not be the reason but i hated it. It slightly went away when i dumped it before the axle but it was still there.
Dont get me wrong the AT3030 w/ cats sounds awesome so i am just throwing my experience out there fwiw.

Last edited by SLT8; 01-10-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:18 PM
Josh E
Professional

Cherry bomb vortex here...........nice sound with absolutely no drone

Old 01-11-2011, 11:01 PM
JDG103
Veteran

i have the Cherry Bomb extreme and i freakin love it....its loud as heck and sounds darn good too

Quick Reply: Muffler Recommendation