3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Sick of spark plug ?'s, well heres a few more

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 10:01 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tedberchtold
if your plugs werent worn badly then you probably wont see much of an increase especially with champion coppers. not that theyre a bad plug, just sayin in my opinion you should have held out for 24 hours and had the parts store order the ngk's from their warehouse.
Well, they actually looked horrible when comparing them to the new ones, but, I didn't do this in hopes to get better mileage. I am pretty sure these were the original ones I pulled out (76k miles) and I just wanted to pull some maintenance.

I wasn't convinced the NGK's were going to be all that much better, so I figured the Champions would be just fine. After all, the ones in it seamed to be working just fine and they looked like hell. From what I have gathered, the more expensive "super duper" plugs will not give any better performance, they just last longer. Correct?

Old 03-06-2011, 06:39 AM
NHHEMI
Professional

Originally Posted by olyelr
Well, they actually looked horrible when comparing them to the new ones, but, I didn't do this in hopes to get better mileage. I am pretty sure these were the original ones I pulled out (76k miles) and I just wanted to pull some maintenance.

I wasn't convinced the NGK's were going to be all that much better, so I figured the Champions would be just fine. After all, the ones in it seamed to be working just fine and they looked like hell. From what I have gathered, the more expensive "super duper" plugs will not give any better performance, they just last longer. Correct?
That is true about the premium plugs( i.e. platinum and iridium ). Sometimes they can provide a slightly improved idle over coppers though. The big benefit is increased service life as you said.

However, the NGK V-Power plugs are not premium plugs. There seems to be a big misconception on here about them over that for some reason? The V-Power plug is a standard copper core plug with a V notch in the side( or ground )electrode. That is all.

I would say it is a plug built to higher standards and with better quality components than Champion plugs but it is not a "premium" plug.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:15 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by NHHEMI

I would say it is a plug built to higher standards and with better quality components than Champion plugs but it is not a "premium" plug.

Thats exactly what I had gathered from my research, which is why I intended on purchasing those instead of the Champions. But, nobody had the dang things in stock (actually, Advance had 8 of them) and I wanted to do the swap yesterday when I had the free time... so in wen the Champions.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:38 PM
chefred112
All Star

I've mixed plugs before when a parts house dint have all 16... used 8 NGK 4306's on the primaries and 8 champions on the exhaust side..

Old 03-06-2011, 02:46 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just be careful when installing plugs that have been hit with antiseize. It makes it easier to over-torque them and pull the threads out of aluminum heads.

I ordered the NGKs from Summit Racing on Thursday, expecting them to come from their store 90 miles away from me. Instead they shipped from Ohio so I'll get them later this week. Oh, and I got Taylor Thundervolt 8.2mm wires to go with 'em.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:48 PM
tedberchtold
Rookie

lol thats funny that your advance had 8! mine did too but thats why i made the comment about you holding out for 24 hours because by 3 pm the next day they had their daily delivery truck bring the other 8!
anyhow im sure the ones you used are just fine! i too find it kinda funny that several people think the ngk's are some expensive premium plug when they are just a well built damn good plug! probably why my local dodge mechanics say to use them. as a matter of fact the one guy called them a bulletproof plug. said they hold a gap very well and have a great spark.
anyway next time advance doesnt have something you need ask them how soon they can get it because its usually the next day or maybe same day if its early enough.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:03 PM
chefred112
All Star

Originally Posted by John M
Just be careful when installing plugs that have been hit with antiseize. It makes it easier to over-torque them and pull the threads out of aluminum heads.

I ordered the NGKs from Summit Racing on Thursday, expecting them to come from their store 90 miles away from me. Instead they shipped from Ohio so I'll get them later this week. Oh, and I got Taylor Thundervolt 8.2mm wires to go with 'em.
and also be careful not to "over" antiseize them either...less then a dab will do..

Old 03-06-2011, 08:33 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Since you went about 2.5 times the recommended mileage on the plugs, you got lucky. I runt the V-Power plugs. No real gain, I just prefer them and use them in all my vehicles.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:47 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by lxman1
Since you went about 2.5 times the recommended mileage on the plugs, you got lucky. I runt the V-Power plugs. No real gain, I just prefer them and use them in all my vehicles.

I actually haven't went 10k miles on them yet, as I bought the truck with 67k. Since you never know for sure with a used vehicle, I just assumed they were original... and guessing at how they looked, I was probably right.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:52 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by John M
Originally Posted by chefred112
and also be careful not to "over" antiseize them either...less then a dab will do..

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! Why didnt you fellas chime in a day ago?!?!?!?!? LOL

I put well over "less than a dab" on all the plugs. Now you guys got me all flustered...

Quick Reply: Sick of spark plug ?'s, well heres a few more