3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Taking the truck in to fix my exhaust that I wasted almost $400 on.. edits?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 09:27 PM
T_Visk
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Taking the truck in to fix my exhaust that I wasted almost $400 on.. edits?

Ok, so I'm running stock muffler, and stock everything else followed by a "fake" flowmaster 40 then it's y-piped into 45 degree angle 4" tips. I heard a buddy that has pretty much the same setup but with no stock muffler and flowmaster 40 and it actually wasn't ridiculously loud. So, I want to run them straight instead of 45 degreed angled out and I want it to sound beefier. I plan on cutting the stock muffler out, anything else I can do? I don't really want to take this other muffler out considering I paid money for it.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:00 PM
xjfever
Professional

So you are running two mufflers on the sigle exhaust pipe, then it splits to duals?

Old 08-27-2011, 10:32 PM
T_Visk
Rookie

Correct.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:41 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

the shorter the pipe the more loud. the shorter the muffler the more loud it is. no cats or resonators make it more loud also

Old 08-27-2011, 10:52 PM
T_Visk
Rookie

The guy won't take out the cats/resonators unless you know him well which I don't. I'll probably take out the stock muffler and straighten out the pipes and see what that does I'm thinking. What would you guys do with limited money to spend?

Old 08-27-2011, 10:56 PM
xjfever
Professional

Just removing the stock muffler should help you a lot in the sound and flow department. Adding a magna-flow Y-pipe in place of the very restrictive stock Y-pipe will help also and they are fairly cheap.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:40 PM
BadHazard
Professional

So whats the point of the dual mufflers? No crap its not going to sound good. Your muffling and muffler. Take that stock muffler out asap. Get a sawzal and cut the resonator out.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:13 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

i think he has dual mufflers as in dual pipes

Old 08-29-2011, 01:09 PM
nateroach
Veteran

I don't know Weed, sounds like he does have dual mufflers, but in line. Stock + fake flowmaster.

Originally Posted by T_Visk
Ok, so I'm running stock muffler, and stock everything else followed by a "fake" flowmaster 40 then it's y-piped into 45 degree angle 4" tips. I heard a buddy that has pretty much the same setup but with no stock muffler and flowmaster 40 and it actually wasn't ridiculously loud. So, I want to run them straight instead of 45 degreed angled out and I want it to sound beefier. I plan on cutting the stock muffler out, anything else I can do? I don't really want to take this other muffler out considering I paid money for it.
there are a couple issues I see with this
#1 some muffler shop took you for some serious $$ and gave you an exhaust worse off then you started with.

#2 why use a "fake" flowmaster 40? Besides the fact that flowmasters don't really flow worth a crap, most people run them cuz there cheap. Single in single out 40's are ~70 and single in dual outs are ~$85. kinda plays into issue #1, but makes it even worse.

if you want it more aggressive remove the stock muffler. I guess i don't really know how you expected it to sound more aggressive by adding mufflers?

nateroach

Old 08-29-2011, 01:33 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

hmm.....you might be right.

maybe we need some pics......LOL

Quick Reply: Taking the truck in to fix my exhaust that I wasted almost $400 on.. edits?