3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Tonneau Cover Opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 08:59 PM
02dodgeram5.9
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tonneau Cover Opinion?

I know I know I know..most of you arent a huge fan of tonneau covers but i am lookin at some for my truck and just not really sure on which route to go with. I am lookin at two different types of tonneaus..one is the soft rollup like the access lorado or my other type is the hard top flip tri-folds like the bakflip G2...im just not sure on which one to go with..want the best waterproof cover i can get..but those were just example brands..just somethin along the lines of those..but i am just wanting you guys' opinion on this b/c you guys all know some good things..thanks in advance

Old 08-30-2011, 11:01 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the BakFlip F1 on my truck. I love it except it was kinda a PITA to install it with the factory bedliner. And I'm not too fond of it blocking the back window when its all the way up. But other then that its a great cover and augments the truck nicely.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:51 PM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Retrax on my truck and wouldn't own a truck without it. Its secure, solid, and non-invasive in your bed space compared to other options. It looks good too! I've got it on my second Ram and it cleans up nice.

Last edited by Cthulhu; 09-06-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:34 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion

I have an ARE on mine and I like it. But its also a solid cover, so no flips or bends or anything

Old 08-31-2011, 11:06 AM
theice
Professional

i have the bedlocker hard tarp that rolls up into its own box only takes up about a foot of space in the front of the bed love it will never own another truck with out one

Old 08-31-2011, 02:13 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

I have an ARE solid fiberglass tonneau and I love it! True, I can't haul any large upright thing, but I have a trailer, so that's not an issue. Beyond that, I love having a ginormous trunk that's secure and dry.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:13 PM
CanadianTrucker

I have an Extang Trifecta, had it on my last truck too and I love it. It's a soft cover with metal supports that folds up. It takes up about a foot of space at the front of the bed when folded up, but doesn't block the rear window at all. It also only takes about 30 seconds to install or uninstall as it uses hooks under the bed rail to secure itself, the ones at the front being screwable to tighten and the ones at the back being spring tension for quick release. I love it because if I do need the whole bed to carry stuff I can fold it and then remove it and slide it in sideways of whatever I'm moving, and then re-install the cover when I get to where I'm going. It's also pretty inexpensive at about $350+tax(in Ontario)

Old 08-31-2011, 08:48 PM
02dodgeram5.9
Professional

Man all you guys go for the high dollar tonneaus..didnt know that some of those cost that much..i like the retractable but cant justify the use of them..also, dont they freeze up in the winter time?

Old 08-31-2011, 09:20 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

Mine was on when I bought the truck, but yeah, I bet it was well north of a kilobuck.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:26 PM
SLT07ThunderRoad
Rookie

For what it is worth, I have the Extang "Black Max" soft toneau on my 07 Ram quad.

The pros: looks great on my black truck, affordable, easy to remove for access to the bed, excellent weather tight seal over the bed.

The cons: Impossible to put on in cold weather. Extang advertises this cover as a good option for cold climates, but I can speak from experience that this is anything but the case. I live in upstate NY, and this cover cannot be installed on a cold Winter day outside.

Quick Reply: Tonneau Cover Opinion?