3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

How long do you think to finish this whole job?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 04:05 AM
Knuckles1988
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long do you think to finish this whole job?

Alright so I was having a conversation with some of my buddies about all the things I am adding to my truck. It came up that it's going to take more than just one day to do it all. I say BS. I think given one full day. Say from like 10am to 6pm. I'll have one, maybe 2, people helping me.

So based off your experiences and such, what do you think? Can all this be done in 8 hours:

Put in a Fox box with 2 12" subs underneath rear seat along with 600W amp underneath passenger seat. Install double din Kenwood stereo

Install Tonneau cover

Install nerf bars and fender flares.

install 4' lift

install new head, tail, and 3rd brake lights.

I think it is doable. The lift is the hardest part to do. Everything else shouldn't take more than a couple hours altogether I would think.

Oh and NO I have never done any of this to any vehicle before. Well except the stereo system, I've done several of those.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:52 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

It took me and a buddy about 9 hours to install my 4" suspension lift. WITH THE USE OF A VEHICLE LIFT.

I had never done a suspension lift before at the time, but had done three body lifts. So I think you're dreaming...

Old 08-31-2011, 08:05 AM
Knuckles1988
Rookie

Well that isn't what I wanted to hear

I don't even have a vehicle lift, we will be using jack stands and a floor jack. This should be fun. I'm using the same kit you are and if it took you 9 hours, it's probably going to take me 18. Damn it, sounds like I might owe him a bottle of Jack.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:43 AM
Marklorenzo
Veteran

Ya, putting the new lights in will be the easiest part haha. Do the job right, no rush!

Old 08-31-2011, 11:11 AM
Knuckles1988
Rookie

Yeah I'll probably do the lift last. Put everything on and then the lift and then take it into the shop to have the bumpers, grill, bottom trim, and bed rhino lined.

I promise to take pictures of all the progress as well so you all can be entertained with the master piece I am going to create

Old 08-31-2011, 11:48 AM
Marklorenzo
Veteran

Awesome, keep us updated on progress. I love to see trucks transform into something you don't see everyday on the road. Good luck!

Old 08-31-2011, 12:45 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

There shouldn't be any surprises with the lift - VERY solid kit! It's just A LOT of taking off and putting on. The only thing that really needs to fabricated at all are the tie rods. The kit comes with much larger, beefier tie rod ends (that are also greasable - thank God!) and requires you to cut a bit off the end of the tie rods to allow for the extra length of these ends (a hack saw or hand grinder will do just fine).

Old 08-31-2011, 12:56 PM
Knuckles1988
Rookie

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
There shouldn't be any surprises with the lift - VERY solid kit! It's just A LOT of taking off and putting on. The only thing that really needs to fabricated at all are the tie rods. The kit comes with much larger, beefier tie rod ends (that are also greasable - thank God!) and requires you to cut a bit off the end of the tie rods to allow for the extra length of these ends (a hack saw or hand grinder will do just fine).
What kind of grease did you use and do you by chance remember how much of it had to be cut off? I don't know the tips and tricks of the trade enough to know things like good grease bad grease and such. Or anything for that matter

Old 08-31-2011, 01:19 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by Knuckles1988
What kind of grease did you use and do you by chance remember how much of it had to be cut off? I don't know the tips and tricks of the trade enough to know things like good grease bad grease and such. Or anything for that matter
I just used regular grease out of the grease gun I use to do the hubs on my boat trailer.
As for how much needs to be cut off, I can't remember, but it's not much, only like an inch or two. The docs that come with the kit tell you exactly and are very well written. I installed this back in the late fall of '05 and I can't remember what the hell I had for supper last night!!! Although I still have the docs around here somewhere. I was looking for something not too long ago and ran across them...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 08-31-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:23 PM
Knuckles1988
Rookie

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I just used regular grease out of the grease gun I use to do the hubs on my boat trailer.
As for how much needs to be cut off, I can't remember, but it's not much, only like an inch or two. The docs that come with the kit tell you exactly and are very well written...
Hopefully I won't run into any major problems then. I'm pretty stoked to get it all on. Leave Iraq very very very very soon. Can't wait to get back home and start in on the whole process. It's really the only thing I have to look forward to until hunting season.

Quick Reply: How long do you think to finish this whole job?