3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

instrument cluster replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 12:54 PM
dodge lover forever
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default instrument cluster replacement

I have a2002 dodge ram 1500 that needs the instrument cluster repaced. Can I put a used one from another truck back in it's place.Does the engine size matter.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:27 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you can but your mileage will be different unless you find a used cluster with the exact mileage you're showing now. The mileage is stored in the cluster and will show the mileage of the donor vehicle which would turn out to be a major problem if you ever traded or sold the truck. Federal law would consider this to be tampering with the mileage.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:34 AM
dodge lover forever

Thanks. If i buy one from the dealership programed with my correct mileage and vin #, is it just a matter of plugging it back up or does it need some other type of programming?

Old 03-05-2012, 08:40 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker

Yes but it will have to be installed in the truck before it can be programmed with vin and mileage.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:21 AM
NV290
All Star

Originally Posted by dodge lover forever
Thanks. If i buy one from the dealership programed with my correct mileage and vin #, is it just a matter of plugging it back up or does it need some other type of programming?
According to what two dealerships have told me (and everybody who has had it done on this forum), the cluster cannot be programmed at any dealer. The reason for this is to prevent fraud. Dealrs cannot have any equipment that can alter the odometer reading. It MUST be done by a certified shop with government oversight. Could you imagine what dealers would do to used car mileage if they able to change the odomometer setting at will?

Both dealers i spoke with (trying to find the best price) said i need to come in and have a parts or service rep come out to my truck and get my VIN and Mileage. Then they order the cluster (takes about a week to get) and it arrives pre-programmed with the mileage and options. And that was another issue. Engine size, transmissision and some other options dictate what the programming will be. So even if you found one in a junkyard, it would have to use the same options.

There is also a core charge. They take your old cluster and it gets rebuilt.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:48 AM
dodge lover forever

Well, I just ordered a new one from the dealership after they checked my vin # and mileage and then they got on the phone and ordered it.I hope that when I get it and install it myself that it will just be a matter of plug and go as I am trying to save myself some money by doing the install.I hope that plugging it in is all that I have to do !!!!

Old 03-05-2012, 11:28 AM
NV290
All Star

Originally Posted by dodge lover forever
Well, I just ordered a new one from the dealership after they checked my vin # and mileage and then they got on the phone and ordered it.I hope that when I get it and install it myself that it will just be a matter of plug and go as I am trying to save myself some money by doing the install.I hope that plugging it in is all that I have to do !!!!
It is an easy removal and install. One member here (I think DirtyDog?) did the swap in the dealer parking lot so he could get his core charge returned. I guess you already know how easy the dash comes off? Once it's off, just a few screws holding the cluster in place and then unplug it. Install the new one the same way, plug it in and your good to go.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:31 AM
NV290
All Star

Here is the thread explaining the swap:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...t-working.html

Old 03-05-2012, 03:54 PM
dodge lover forever

Thanks everyone, I hope it all works out.Will know in a few days!!!!!!

Old 03-06-2012, 11:22 PM
dodge lover forever

Well I got my new instrument cluster from the dealer today.Drove the truck to the dealership and then removed it and took it inside and exchanged it for the new one and then installed it in the parking lot(just like dirty dog I think it was).The trip to the dealership and swapping it out and back home 52 minutes !!!!!!!!!!!! Plug and go !!!

Quick Reply: instrument cluster replacement