3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

How safe are our trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 01:04 PM
GeorgiaE30
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How safe are our trucks?

Well heres my statement. Girl pulled out in front of me with out stopping or looking going across a 4 lane high way... ballzy... my truck caught her right as she passed the stop sign at 55 mph...

Name:  IMG_0390.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  127.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0391.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  140.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0392.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  145.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0393.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  142.3 KB
Name:  IMG_0394.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  129.3 KB

Id say they're pretty tough trucks. Especially for not that much damage at a 55 mph collision. Granted I did hit a civic but still, safe.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:36 PM
Ellis42
Veteran

There was another post awhile back in here where I believe the guys wife and son where in his truck and had got in an accident at a high speed and it survived the crash along with the precious cargo(wife,son) so the truck is a 5 star in my book

Also read another thread maybe on different site but a guy with a dodge t-boned another vehicle at like 45mph I believe and all it did is break the dodges grille and bent bumper a little bit as for th other vehicle it was totaled

Old 05-01-2012, 01:56 PM
GeorgiaE30
Amateur

Yeah the civic is in pieces. That car was only safe due to the amount of air bags it had. Had a 2009 chevy tahoe that my mom was in that had almost the same incident i did and that tahoe did not hold up worth anything.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:16 PM
Ellis42
Veteran

Ya I have seen many accidents were a Ford or Chevy product didn't hold up at all

Like they say If you can't DODGE em , RAM em

Old 05-01-2012, 02:47 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Was the girl alright? Hope there are no injuries to anyone discovered after-the-fact.

Assuming that everyone is OK, I don't feel bad saying that yes, I'm glad I'll be in MY vehicles, and not the others', if I'm ever in a collision. I feel very safe with my family in the truck. Glad it didn't turn out worse for you both. That looks like it will buff right out!

Old 05-01-2012, 03:17 PM
GeorgiaE30
Amateur

Originally Posted by Chet Ubetcha
Was the girl alright? Hope there are no injuries to anyone discovered after-the-fact.

Assuming that everyone is OK, I don't feel bad saying that yes, I'm glad I'll be in MY vehicles, and not the others', if I'm ever in a collision. I feel very safe with my family in the truck. Glad it didn't turn out worse for you both. That looks like it will buff right out!
Yeah man everyones good. No injuries at all! Safest vehicle ive owned. Except maybe my last project car with harnesses and what not. But very happy with it! Was playing around at the body shop today with some options which were to do the N-Fab RSP bumper or paint the chrome grille/bumpers flat black to match my wheels but it looks like im going back to stock!

Old 05-01-2012, 08:34 PM
thumperk15
Veteran

This isn't a gen3 it's a gen2 but my mom hit a semi tractor trailer at at least a combined 110mph into a brick wall that of course won. Surely the newer gens we have are just as safe if not hopefully better.

Name:  98c580f1.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  88.4 KB

Old 05-01-2012, 11:42 PM
Ellis42
Veteran

Originally Posted by thumperk15
This isn't a gen3 it's a gen2 but my mom hit a semi tractor trailer at at least a combined 110mph into a brick wall that of course won. Surely the newer gens we have are just as safe if not hopefully better.

Sorry to ask, did your mom survive?

If she didn't I am extremely sorry for asking I was just wondering because the thread has been positive an I pray this is also a positive outcome

Old 05-01-2012, 11:59 PM
thumperk15
Veteran

Originally Posted by Ellis42
Sorry to ask, did your mom survive?

If she didn't I am extremely sorry for asking I was just wondering because the thread has been positive an I pray this is also a positive outcome

That was April '07 and she's probably sleeping, it's 10:50pm and she has work at 6:45am. Yes she is fine lol. Very scary wreck!

She was on her way to work when a Tyson tractor trailer husband wife team ran off the road and overcorrected. I was the second on scene working the wreck(I'm a Firefighter). It took a couple hours to get her out, she was taken in via Air Evac. She spent a few hours at the hospital and months off work with two fractured vertabre.

Don't mean to hijack this thread but showing our Dodges should be biult just as good as the gen2. It's taken me a while to speak about it but I like to share because with luck, being looked down upon, and the hard workers she made it out alive. I've seen minor wrecks with DOA's and ones like this with minor injuries. Thing is if there was a passenger in her truck they'd have an A-pillar crushing them. I'm glad your wreck was minor and be happy you own a big rig. That's why I bought my Dodge.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:01 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Hope your mom was alright, as well. I hope us asking questions about it isn't too out of line. Looks like EMS removed the roof and doors to extricate the occupants, so it looks like total destruction. Got any side shots of it? I'd be interested to see how far back the front end was smashed. Brutal outcome, regardless. Again, hope everyone was alright!

Thumper, until semi-recently, I used to live just east of you a bit in Jacksonville / Little Rock. Lived there for a little over ten years. I used to go out to the Air Guard base in Ft. Smith once a year, or so, to teach the MSF course.

Quick Reply: How safe are our trucks?