3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 08:08 PM
Ellis42
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation What would you do?

I am on the wall of which I should do...

Here are my choices

1) Add a throttle body spacer

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/ena-1010

Or

2)I was going to replace my distibutor cap, rotor, spark plug wires and spark plugs, the distibutor cap and rotor are just a slight better than OEM and the spark plus wires are not high performance but are much better then OEM and they allow 500ohm per foot.

I was just wanting to see which everyone thinks is better to improve performance I know neither will give me a huge boost but something. Also I know the throttle body spacer ain't the greatest but it's within my budget sorry I mean what my wife will let me spend so that's why I have to pick between the two choices. I am still replacing spark plugs which ever way I decide to go.

Last edited by Ellis42; 05-06-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:17 PM
itsahemi4x4
Professional

Save your money. Most guys on here run factory copper plugs and do not recomend the high performance plugs. As far as the throttle body spacer is concerned, if you like your engine to whistle, they're great, but do nothing for performance. Save the money, get some more, and get a programmer or have a party with the cash.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:22 PM
Ellis42
Veteran

Originally Posted by itsahemi4x4
Save your money. Most guys on here run factory copper plugs and do not recomend the high performance plugs. As far as the throttle body spacer is concerned, if you like your engine to whistle, they're great, but do nothing for performance. Save the money, get some more, and get a programmer or have a party with the cash.
I would save cash but I forgot to mention the money will be coming off a gift card from SummitRacing so I need to use it

As for the tuner I might be getting one this week my truck received some hail damage so I have an insurance adjuster coming to look at it then cut me a check but te best part is it cash in pocket because I know people who fix hail dents and they hooking me up for free

Old 05-06-2012, 11:35 PM
Ellis42
Veteran

i have done a little more reading and see throttle body spacers dont do much if anything for performance so i decided to go with just the tune up so the cap and rotor and wires

so is 500 ohms per foot good?

Old 05-07-2012, 12:24 PM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you read about them before buying one. Throttle body spacers offer ZERO performance gains on these trucks. NONE. The design of the intake manifold makes them worthless.

New cap, rotor, plugs, wires is the way to go.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:10 PM
ricer
Veteran

Throttle body spacers are a complete waste of money. You will see the best gain out of the tuner you buy. I run the SC 3865 and absolutely love it, wouldn't be without it.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:25 PM
Ellis42
Veteran

Originally Posted by ricer
Throttle body spacers are a complete waste of money. You will see the best gain out of the tuner you buy. I run the SC 3865 and absolutely love it, wouldn't be without it.
Ya I had just heard about the spacers and so I read and seen the "gains" so I thought about it but also I read more into it and ya everyone says its a waste of money and all it does is make your motor whistle, so I already order my tune up parts

And I can't wait to see how much my damage is so they can give me the check and I can turn around and order my SuperChip

Old 05-07-2012, 04:20 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

As for resistance. you want the least per foot possible. High Perf wires may have as little as 100ohms per foot, but most stock wires have Thousands of Ohms per foot.

If a Company Advertises a specific resistance, the wire is descent. it's the one's that don't you should worry about(likely very high due to thin copper and badly wound)

When you take a wire off, probe opposite ends and measure the resistance with a multimeter. take that number and divide it by how long the wire is(in ft not inches) this will give you a comparison on your new wires.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:46 PM
02dodgeram5.9
Professional

I can speak from experience(b/c i had an 02 with the 5.9) that it def does help to update to better plug wires and cap and rotor..also, i put in ngk iridium plugs in my truck and it ran pretty good..but just like all the other guys are saying, that the Superchips is the best thing that i put on that truck..it woke that truck up like none other..it was the best investment that i purchased for that truck...good luck to ya

Old 05-07-2012, 10:13 PM
kenneymc
Veteran

Sorry to jack your thread. But I have a diablo sport predator tuner for my 03 ram 1500 4x4 Hemi. I bought it more for gas mileage, but didn't seem to help at all. Now it did a good bit for performance though. My question is, would a super chips be better suited or are they about the same as far as improving fuel mileage? If so I will unmarry my DSP and sell it and get a SC. By computer I get high 11's and lower 12's on mileage. That's mainly around town or towing.