3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Putting a locking differential on a 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 04:04 PM
team_realtree
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting a locking differential on a 2wd

Is this worth it? How would it compare to a 4x4 with open diffs? Also I have 3.55 gears and recently up sized my tires and have been thinking of going to a lower gear ratio would this go hand and hand with the locker install? I'm clueless to what goes on in that pumpkin!

Old 09-02-2012, 04:18 PM
T-Rays
Amateur

Why are you putting a locker in a 2wd unless your racing it? I'd be worried about going through tires just daily driving.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:33 PM
team_realtree
Professional

Originally Posted by T-Rays
Why are you putting a locker in a 2wd unless your racing it? I'd be worried about going through tires just daily driving.
No I'm not racing it I want better traction in snow, wet grass ect.

Maybe I'm thinking of a limited slip? I was under the impression you could engage/disengage the locker?

Last edited by team_realtree; 09-02-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:48 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes you can get a locker that you can either electronically engage/disengage or what they call an "air locker". But I have only seen one person on another forum that has had this and he doesn't have it anymore. Not many (if any) make a locker for our rear ends. There's a lot of debate and discussion about this topic

Old 09-02-2012, 04:50 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by T-Rays
Some of us actually off road in 2WDs believe it or not. Not as hardcore as some 4x4s but then again there are also many people with 4x4s who will only see wet roads and never even use their 4 wheel drive. So a locker helps those of us who want to off road on 2 wheels

Old 09-02-2012, 06:23 PM
T-Rays
Amateur

I was aware of people off roaring in 2wds I was just saying IMO its not worth it. Maybe a good auburn limited slip unit but not a true locker. If he is driving mostly on the street he will be going through rear tires more than if he put in a limited slip

Old 09-02-2012, 06:27 PM
ZWilson07
Professional

Originally Posted by team_realtree
Is this worth it? How would it compare to a 4x4 with open diffs? Also I have 3.55 gears and recently up sized my tires and have been thinking of going to a lower gear ratio would this go hand and hand with the locker install? I'm clueless to what goes on in that pumpkin!

I would go with a good quality aftermarket lsd, either auburn or eaton.

As far as comparing to a 4x4 with open diffs? The 4x4 is still going to be considerably better just from the nature of pulling vs pushing. Just the act of having a front tire helping to pull the truck rather than pushing it, especially in snowy situations is huge. BUT with that said, I have done and seen a hell of alot done with a 2wd and the skinny pedal if you know what your doing. I think your best bet would be to go quality aftermarket lsd and some great tire for the winter. Most people forget that tires are the single most important things when considering traction. A 2wd with MT's will probably do circles around a 4x4 with street tires, especially in a muddy situation.

I would go ahead and regear if I was you. What size is your new tires?

What do you mean by going hand in hand? They are both in the same differential lol but buying a locker or lsd is simply going to replace the carrier. Your still going to need a new ring/pinon gear for whatever size you want to run and have it re set up.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:37 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've known many a deep south farmer through the years put a solid limited slip in the rear of his 4x2 and work that truck hard all week then play hard with it all weekend. Be surprised how a seasoned driver can get through where guys with 4x4s get stuck...

Old 09-02-2012, 07:07 PM
team_realtree
Professional

Originally Posted by ZWilson07
I would go with a good quality aftermarket lsd, either auburn or eaton.

As far as comparing to a 4x4 with open diffs? The 4x4 is still going to be considerably better just from the nature of pulling vs pushing. Just the act of having a front tire helping to pull the truck rather than pushing it, especially in snowy situations is huge. BUT with that said, I have done and seen a hell of alot done with a 2wd and the skinny pedal if you know what your doing. I think your best bet would be to go quality aftermarket lsd and some great tire for the winter. Most people forget that tires are the single most important things when considering traction. A 2wd with MT's will probably do circles around a 4x4 with street tires, especially in a muddy situation.

I would go ahead and regear if I was you. What size is your new tires?

What do you mean by going hand in hand? They are both in the same differential lol but buying a locker or lsd is simply going to replace the carrier. Your still going to need a new ring/pinon gear for whatever size you want to run and have it re set up.
I just wasn't sure if you switch from open to limited slip if you choose your gearing when you order it lol I don't have a clue about diffs.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:54 PM
ZWilson07
Professional

Originally Posted by team_realtree
I just wasn't sure if you switch from open to limited slip if you choose your gearing when you order it lol I don't have a clue about diffs.

No, whatever lsd that you go with will be for your specific differential.

If I was you, id go through the vendors on here and see what kind of deal they could give you for a combo deal with lsd and gears.

Might help you save some depending on how much your local shop would charge.

Quick Reply: Putting a locking differential on a 2wd