3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

More MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 09:36 AM
ASCHENAVAR
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be happy with the 14 for sure.. My 2005 4.7 only gets about 9-10 on average..thats with a lift and 18s wrapped in 35x12.50s..I once got 17 downhill behind a tractor trailer and took a picture to remember it by lol

Old 12-03-2013, 02:06 AM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going to add in again as this past weekend driving home I decided to add some air to my tires as I hadn't done it in awhile. Boosted the tire pressure up to 60 PSI (80 is max on my tires) and I got 2 MPGs better then when I drove the same route a few weeks ago. I know tire pressure has been mentioned but I'm now a great advocator of it haha

Old 12-04-2013, 11:41 PM
Old man with a Hemi2
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AJ Chuppa
I appreciate everyones reply. Not so much to the smart@sses out there, but im hoping to keep my truck stock. I am considering a K&N air filter but still on the fence. Ill keep everyone updated since im taking a roadtrip next week

AJ, concerning mileage, no one is being a smart @ss. It is just nearly impossible to improve the mileage of the Hemi, by any significant amount. Sorry to have to say that but it's a perfectly true statement. Keep it tuned and the tires aired, and what you get you get

Old 12-05-2013, 12:04 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Sad but true. No real MPG gains anywhere to be made

There are tons of threads on this and no one has gotten significant more mileage

Old 12-07-2013, 10:54 AM
Old man with a Hemi2
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99ramworkn
I have a 99 1500 5.2. I put 225/75/16 on it got +1 or 2. Then intake and E-fan got additional +2. I went from 11 avg to 15. This is my work truck. I'm driving about 100 miles a day atleast loaded with tools all the time. Tires are D rated too. New front end. Clean the throttle body regularly as well as Valvoline high miliage on the 3000 dot. I plan on Modding the intake manifold when I change the Plenum . Have rattling cat so be doing cat back exhaust. Any suggestions would be great. There is always a way to improve a block. Sometimes updating the tech like a e-fan or computer or like everyone said maintenance on schedule like oil cleaning the TB etc always help. Just think about what you have and what you want. Also keep your diff tranny and transfer case stock with fresh fluids. Pack your bearings with good high heat grease allignment in check. Tires inflated. What helps is good quality and good habbits. If you slack on anything your gonna be dissapointed

You might have found a couple mpg on an old 318, but this is a third gen discussion and we're talking Hemis here, Those old 5.2's were so bad on mileage anyone could find a few extra mpg on them, but most of what you've mentioned other than the maintenance items and air pressure are just a waste of time when trying to find more mileage on a Hemi