3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

More MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 12:12 PM
AJ Chuppa
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question More MPG?

I have a 04 1500 SLT and supposidly it gets 13 city and 17 highway. While on the highway im averaging about 14...anything i can do to increase this? Its a 20 mile drive each way to where i work. I have the stock air cleaner and stock exhaust

Old 09-04-2012, 12:20 PM
hemi4109
Veteran

Is this calculated or the o.h. display? I can't imagine only getting 14 unless you have some monster tires or really stepping on it. If not, there must be something not working right. What gearing do you have?

Old 09-04-2012, 12:52 PM
AJ Chuppa

its according to the o.h. display...i usually get about a week out of a tank if i go back and forth to work....tires are Nexan Radian HTs 265/70/17....gearing is stock as far as i know and i usually drive 65

Old 09-04-2012, 01:28 PM
hemi4109
Veteran

I'd try and work it out by hand on the next fill and hopefully that will tell you the computer's off by a few. I know mine's off by about 5% (higher my case). If you look at the tread for MPG in the general forum, you'll see what everyone else gets for comparison.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:43 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going to try to explain my perspective with those overhead gizmo's.. I don't know if I can or not.. but I'm going to try...

it calculates engine speed/speedometer speed/ and I'm pretty sure vacuum signal plays a roll in there too..

when you are sitting at idle, the engine registers 650RPM'ish, and the engine load is figured (no load on engine idling except for accessories like maybe fans, a/c, or current if you've got a stupid heavy draw)- and all divided by MPH... whallah: estimated economy.. and, you're getting 0 MPG..

if you are rolling at engine idle speeds, you are getting 'something' out of that gas other than just sitting there at 0mpg.. the engine is registering load, though, via vacuum signal.. and, you're getting (for the purpose of discussion) 15MPG... you haven't buried the engine under load, and you're getting something out of your engine idle speed..

when you're moving at highway speeds, say 70mph, and you aren't burying the engine with load (lower vacuum signal), you're getting (speaking terms) 15~17MPG.. the same as moving while idling.. but you and I both know it's not the same, right?

the computer doesn't...

that is why that thing is a toy.. you sit in traffic or warm up the engine extended periods of time for whatever reason? that 0mpg hurts your overall economy badly..

you linger at highway speeds for a full tank on level ground with a tailwind? you're going to get inflated numbers via your computer..

there is only one way to do it and one only, is my figuring- and even that is difficult.. you do the math.. gallons in divided my miles driven for the gallons your replacing.. why is that difficult?

for one, gas displaces different space at different temperatures..
for another, that little needle that gauges level of fuel isn't precise..
driving (like environment) conditions change..
traffic conditions change...
where you drive changes..

that little computer ain't worth the light it emits, unless you use it to discover an issue such as stupid high consumption..

the bright side? most often it registers lower than actual economy it's been my experience.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:44 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use the search button!

Old 09-04-2012, 06:41 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The O/H display is usually very optimistic. Calculate your mileage the only possible way: Fill it, drive it, fill it and do the math.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:01 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

14 is good. Be happy with 14. Some of dont get that.

I always love these threads where guys try to get a 6000# pig to get more mileage.

At the end of the day there are all kids of things you can do and in the end you will spend MORE money TRYING to save that you will actually save.

In other words, go spend money on exhaust, cold air intakes, fancy spark plugs, new EGRs, e-fans, synth oils, tuners, lowering the truck, smaller tires, gears, ect.

In reality, getting 2 MPG more is VERY hard. Best thing you can do is keep the RPMs and engine load down as much as possible. In other words, pu$$y foot the truck or get something else.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:34 PM
Five.SevenRAM
Veteran

+1 weedahoe. i mean if u get an intake and exaust for sound then thats fine but if u think adding it will give you a lot more mpgs then you're sorely mistaken. i have about the same commute, mines 23 miles from home to work. i hand calculate and im usually above 15.8 mpg(some city, mostly highway) ive seen it as high as 16.9 and as low as 14.3 and also +1 to drew, i drive that same route everyday but things change therefore your mileage will change too

Old 09-06-2012, 04:04 PM
waynofish
Rookie

This might not be the answer you want to here but here's what I did to increase fuel economy in my 13 MPG 1500. I went out and bought a fiesta. I now average 38 to 40 MPG's in that rollerskate on my all around rural driving. With the miles I put on: gas, added insurance, and payment together are still a couple hundred a month less then I would pay strictly on the truck in gas. The down payment I made will let my 35" tires last a couple more years, cancelling that out. I did the math many times and no matter how I added it up adding the baby car comes out cheaper. I now have my ram as a fishing/hunting/work truck which should last alot longer now.
I just figgured I'd throw that out there because with these trucks, you get what you get when it comes to MPG's. Not too much you can do about it without spending alot for a little.