3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

exhaust & MPG question

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 01:14 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes Marty you are very right, Your question was about the Muffler and you stated some facts along with it about your MPG experince. It seems by the 5th or 6th post you were getting the its a truck you going to have bad MPG.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:47 AM
ewing111
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, people get a little overzealous sometimes... oh well, no harm no foul.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:39 AM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Right, simple mix up.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:52 PM
gunbunny2bg4u
Rookie
Default save gas.... yea right

Originally Posted by dirtydog
There's ZERO "performance" mods or even "mpg" mods that would be beneficial to spend money on soley for the purpose of saving gasoline.
The best thing you can do is keep up on general maintenance and expect the MPG's from performance items like tuners to be a secondary bonus that would take a reeeeeeaaaallllllly long time to pay you back.
6,000lb truck = bad mpg.

catback, tuner, K&N, mod, another mod, and another mod, and another mod won't make you gain even 2mpg. Nope sorry it won't or else the dealer would have done it from the factory to save on federal emissions taxes. Your best gain will be from staying off the pedal and keeping your rpms in the 2krpm range.

mufflers and catbacks are sound purposes only.
True. I worked at Auto Zone some time ago, and the managers selling point for the Bosh+4 spark, he would say to the coustmer that it would give you a extra 20% on MPG. and of corse the dummies would believe him. My reaction to him was the same as yours. If thoes plugs are so good as you say thay are. The EPA would make all auto makers use them. Look people. If you worried about gas then doint drive a truck of any kind. Just keep the toes off the peadl and you'll wont push down as far

Old 11-04-2012, 05:52 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I can honestly say from 3 years experience that a better flowing exhaust will not improve mpg. I drove 80 miles a day for 5 years. I have a Magnaflow cat-back that does flow much better than stock. I gained about 12hp but is is all in the upper rpm range. I lost lowend torque whick is what you need in a heavy truck. I have a Airaid MIT pipe with a K&N drop-in filter and a Diablosport Predator. I run the 93 octane tune which returns the best mpg.
The stock exhaust nets better mpg in any configuration. usually about 1 to 1.5mpg better. Hemi's like backpressure. Even the Challenger guys complain about lost power after removing the cats and reducing the backpressure.
I currently run my Cat-back again because now I live less than 4 miles from work and am not spending $400 a month on fuel.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:14 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

As soon as i put my first exhaust on i thought i had lost power... until the Upper RPMs. I kept my stock exhaust for this reason!

Old 11-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Five.SevenRAM
Veteran

sometimes i wish i had my stock one, but it was about 1 month away from being rusted out and in need of replacement anyways. best way for good mpgs, 55 mph unless on a highway and coast down hills haha. thats what i do, got 16.13 last tank thats with some city driving in there as well.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:16 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

I take every road i can find with 60 and under lol!

Old 11-06-2012, 07:09 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There absolutely is a mod that will increase mileage..

Install a vacuum gauge.. use it as you should..

Short version: keep as much vacuum as possible. It differs with varying mods, engines, intakes, environments, ect.. but let's say you idle at -15 inches..

Let go the brake, hit the skinny.. don't throttle any more than -5 inches.. wait for the shift.. let up on throttle a touch, keeping -5 inches.. wait for the shift.. keep same process until reaching o/d, where there will be a ton of load dropped on engine on that shift.. throttle back to cruising vacuum of no less than -12 inches...

In my truck, with my weight and overall ratio, I'm pulling 14~15mpg at -15 inches of vacuum.. the problem is holding it there... My truck averages about 14mpgs overall, and would do better if I could tolerate putting around all the time.. if you learn to drive based on engine load as represented by vacuum signal, and not traffic/speed limits, you'll be damn surprised what you can get out of these things... A $25 vacuum gauge mod is a helluva mod for saving gas..

Quick Reply: exhaust & MPG question