3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

exhaust & MPG question

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 01:07 PM
marty7384
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust & MPG question

I have a 05 quad cab 4x4 hemi.

Does anyone have the flowmaster super 40 and 50 HD on one like mine if so what kind of MPG are you getting?

I got my 05 hemi and cut the muffler out and dualed the pipes out the side it sounded good but gas milage went down. It was that bad cause gas was under $3 then.

I was getting 11.5 mpg so as gas went up I put a flowmaster 10 series on it then got 12.5 to 13 mpg.

thanks for any info!

Old 10-04-2012, 01:29 PM
Suckingas03
Professional

My buddy has dual 50 series on his I'll ask him. I know some people say they lose power and mpg from their flowmeter because of the chambers. I had 40 series on mine and a magnaflow and I think my magnaflow gave me better performance and mileage. I'm currently running no muffler right now trying to decide what I want to do.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:57 PM
marty7384

Thanks! I like the sound and don't want to completely do away with it but would like better MPG if possible.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:12 PM
Suckingas03
Professional

You won't see much difference with just a new better flowing muffler. When you add a CAI and programmer with the muffler is when you will see a difference.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:34 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

There's ZERO "performance" mods or even "mpg" mods that would be beneficial to spend money on soley for the purpose of saving gasoline.
The best thing you can do is keep up on general maintenance and expect the MPG's from performance items like tuners to be a secondary bonus that would take a reeeeeeaaaallllllly long time to pay you back.
6,000lb truck = bad mpg.

catback, tuner, K&N, mod, another mod, and another mod, and another mod won't make you gain even 2mpg. Nope sorry it won't or else the dealer would have done it from the factory to save on federal emissions taxes. Your best gain will be from staying off the pedal and keeping your rpms in the 2krpm range.

mufflers and catbacks are sound purposes only.

Last edited by dirtydog; 10-04-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:53 PM
Jareski
Veteran

Why are we concerned with gas mileage with a truck? It's going to be terrible, there's not much you can do. Buy a Kia if yo want mileage.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:19 PM
Got_Mitch
Professional

Same could be said for the people spending big bucks on power adders, 1500$ on headers for an extra 20ish hp. The point of augmenting ones truck is making it our own ect ect. And if you want to make your own truck that much more efficent then the stock version the more power to you. Ive geared my self to make my truck as cost effective as I can.

And with all my additions I have gained well over 2 mpg ( even closer to 3 mpg on HW), it cost me a considerable amount of money to get it. But I got it there.

some may find it silly to gain as much mpg out of a 7000lb truck

but i find it silly trying to make a truck faster on the 1/4 mile track... If I want a fast vehicle its not going to be a 7000lbs windsail..

but to each there own

Old 10-04-2012, 08:34 PM
gHEMImorePower
All Star

honestly I believe exhaust will give you worse gas mileage, at least it has for me. Why? because you'll fall in love with the way it sounds and when you can't hear it after getting used to it, you'll tend to give it a lil more throttle in order to hear it a lil more. But I'm 18 so I know age can be a factor when it comes to that as wel... Just my 2 cents
By the way, go cherry bomb instead of flowmaster. You are paying for the name by getting flowmaster they aren't one of the best out there. I have the cb extreme and love it. It's similar to skoal and copenhagen. People buy skoal because it's a popular brand and won't be as strong as cope. However, cope is well worth it. If ya'll don't dip I'm sorry because that probably made no sense.

Last edited by gHEMImorePower; 10-04-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:54 PM
Jareski
Veteran

I agree with the drag strip stuff too. It seems silly to me to make a 7000ish pound monster go faster down the 1/4 mile, and it seems silly to strive to MPG....

OMG, wtf are truck good for then?!?!? Lol. Jk.

To each his own. I just appreciate all the trucks on here, whatever you guys r goin for. We're all on the road together.

I have a lead foot, I get 8-9 MPG city, and I don't care. I love the sound of the Hemi. Woo.

Last edited by Jareski; 10-04-2012 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Im a forgetful idiot
Old 10-04-2012, 11:52 PM
Got_Mitch
Professional

ouch 8 - 9 city..... theres my point but alot of that is the foot to though i bet. In town im a medium foot cause i like to keep the flow of traffic fair. but on the hw im a grama, usually right on the speed limit, and if on long hauls with extra time, i do a bit under. I even tailgate semis to get the drafting effect. ( you would be amazed by the mpg improvment behind a semi trailer)

my city mpg right now is between 13 - 14. and my last few tanks on hw have been at the 19 - 20 mark. so contrast to your mpg im very satisfied with my improvements.

Mind you its going to take a while to pay them off, I also get the enjoyment of having a faster truck when i need it. and can validate driving costs more easily. Im frugal as F***

Quick Reply: exhaust & MPG question