3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

De-chroming Ram SLT

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 01:10 AM
Giviner
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default De-chroming Ram SLT

I purchased my '06 Ram SLT used recently and it came with these ugly-*** chrome accents on the mirrors, chrome door and tailgate handles, and a chrome fuel filler door cover.

I can't stand the look of them. Not sure if they came stock with the truck or one of the previous owners added them. Just wondering if all this crap can be removed easily and if anyone has done it? Looks to be just plastic stick on stuff but can't be sure and don't want to trash my mirrors/handles trying to pry it off.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:10 AM
noahhh

I'm sure it's just plastic covers, man. There will be a little bit of adhesive under it if it's like what my buddy had on his truck, but you can get the tough bits off with some adhesive remover from O'reilly's.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:53 AM
ewing111
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah they should just pop off with a screwdriver or whatever. 3M adhesive remover is great, I used it to get rid of the leftover crud under my badges when I debadged, worked like a charm.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:27 AM
Jareski
Veteran

I'm lookin at getting the "RAM" letters on my grille, but flip the "M" over so it says "RAW." Lol, someone had that, I dunno if it was someone on Dodge Forum or not, but I thought it was clever.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:33 AM
Giviner
Amateur

right on, thanks guys. Will try and pop them off.

ewing, did you buy that black grill on your truck or did you do it yourself? My grill is the next thing that needs to be de-chromed.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:36 AM
Nate_sorenson
Veteran

ive seen people chrome their side moldings as well , those take time and a pinstripe remover wheel works best

Old 10-10-2012, 12:57 PM
ewing111
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I did it myself with plastidip, i also did the diy mesh guttah grille, i used to have the honeycomb one but i didn't like it. I am pretty happy with it, if you don't want to spend the money to buy a new one, it's a pretty good solution.

Here's a closer up pic.
Name:  photo2-4.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  104.8 KB

Old 10-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Giviner
Amateur

Nice. Looks good. How did you get the chrome crap off the grill before you painted it?

Old 03-06-2013, 10:15 PM
Giviner
Amateur

Bringing this back from the dead.

Can anyone give me a line on an OEM style black grille? I'd love to just paint mine but don't think i'll be able to get all the chrome crap off of it.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:36 PM
team_realtree
Professional

Originally Posted by Giviner
Bringing this back from the dead.

Can anyone give me a line on an OEM style black grille? I'd love to just paint mine but don't think i'll be able to get all the chrome crap off of it.
Just use plastidip other than cleaning it there is pretty much no prep work. And it's not even real chrome your grill is some type of plastic. Its held up great for me I put it on in the fall and now almost spring it is still flawless. Even when driving through freezing rain at highway speeds there are no chips in it.

Quick Reply: De-chroming Ram SLT