3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Trade Hemi for Cummins?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 11:03 AM
Rio94gt
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trade Hemi for Cummins?

I have an 08 quad cab Hemi w/ 46k on it. I have the opportunity to trade it in on an 08 quad cab Cummins. Both are black. My truck is a Big Horn. Cummins is a Larmie. Cummings has 75K on it. I can swap over all of my black add accessories. Worth the trade if I can get it for about the same payment? I don't haul or pull. 95 percent city driving.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:46 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Rio94gt
I don't haul or pull. 95 percent city driving.
You may have answered your question right there. Personally, I wouldn't own one unless I towed frequently or did long hauls. They're meant to be work horses, not really grocery getters.

Last edited by TNtech; 12-09-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:48 AM
JDG103
Veteran

id say do it if you can get the payments the same also you can swap all your goodies...id do it

Old 12-09-2012, 02:59 PM
bigskyram

The EPA shut vendors down on delete kits, so if it isn't already deleted, it's going to a lot more expensive to get a kit, if you can still get them.

Not trying to talk you out of it, just that I read too many post about members that DON'T drive their trucks like they're suppose to and issue after issue with the DPF plugging off.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:34 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

For your use, I'd stay with the gasser. I'm not a fan of the newer diesels with all of the EPA crap.
Many say if you don't use the 6.7 CTD hard it has tons of emission problems.

Also, having owned both, I can attest that cost of ownership/maintenance is about 3x higher than a gasser.

I'm of the camp that if you need a diesel you need it and a gasser simply can't get it done. If you tow regularly, heavily or put over about 20k miles a year on your truck then yes, get a diesel.

If you rarely tow, never pull heavy and don't drive nearly 20k a year, you are better off with what you have.

Unless you can afford the higher maintenance and simply want a diesel - in which case - go for it...

Old 12-09-2012, 03:46 PM
RamRod08
Amateur

My Uncle had an 08 Cummins for a while and had all kinds of DPF issues...eventually got rid of it because of that. He's a farmer and even what he was using it for wasn't enough to keep the DPF from plugging. If you use it mostly for city driving my guess is you would have similar problems.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:45 PM
Rio94gt
Professional

I run premium gas now and always use royal purple synthetic fluids so a high maintence cost I'm used too. From research I have seen the dpf and egr create alot of problems. I would delete them both ASAP. I know they aren't meant to be grocery getters but.I'd be much happier with a 14-15 MPG getter that can pull if need be than the current 10mpg getter I have.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:48 PM
Rio94gt
Professional

Plus the heated leather, sunroof, and other extras would be nice.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:17 AM
Got_Mitch
Professional

Looks like your fishing for opinions heading towards the diesel, youve kindof made up your own mind.

Ive been in the same boat for years now, b/c while im at work, I can grab free diesel from the rig, and no ones the wiser no cares. But even I still have to think about the maint costs, 10k more on price for the engine upgrade. Just to break even Id have to get 100 free tank fulls just to even out the cost of the engine, Let alone start thinking about the cost of LT tires, oil changes, and insanely over priced repair bills for glow plugs injectors ect ect. for the cost of an injector and glowplug job, You could buy a crate hemi damn near.

And your not even getting free diesel like i would be getting. 4 mpg increase isnt going to warrant to extra cost of ownership, not by a long shot. And come winter time you'll be warming your diesel up more then driving it to and from the grocery. kindof gets rid of that mpg gain that you were talking about.

IMO

Old 12-10-2012, 04:24 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Got_Mitch
, and insanely over priced repair bills for glow plugs injectors ect ect. for the cost of an injector and glowplug job, You could buy a crate hemi damn near.

IMO
no glow plugs in a cummins,

and cirtianly not anywhere near 3x to maintain, infact i dont spend any more on my diesels to service than i did on my dakota, some parts are a bit pricey, but a little research can find them a WAY cheaper online and most things are very easy to install for a diy,

a 6.7 does need to be worked tho to keep the aftertreatment system happy, dont really have to pull with it, just try to act like kid a little more and use the skinny pedal as much as possiable, but the diesels all ways make me way more happier than the gassers, especially when it comes to power and fuel milage comparisons.... and longevity, and abilities

Quick Reply: Trade Hemi for Cummins?